An Apology to Jon Finkel

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Interesting situation. That should remind us all that one can be a disgusting fuckhead regardless of gender.
And although I see the purpose of this apology, I don't think it's necessary or should have been made at all. You see, a lot of men are disgraceful assholes, yet we don't issue an apology every time any of them go public... You should treat women same, naturally.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Savagezion said:
Well, now she has became what she hates. She has had a Magic card made of her.

"At the beginning of your upkeep, if Alyssa Bereznak, Heinous Blogger is tapped, place a meme counter on her."

But after this, no MTG player would ever tap that.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
I did not know about this until I clicked on the Escapist article. Since I now know that she gets paid via the number of hits she recieves I plan on NOT going to where she posted this on.

GunboatDiplomat

Mar 23, 2009
Dear Ms Susan Arendt & Signatories,

What disgusts me is your pandering to most backward impulses of your male audience.

However the shitstorm of misogyny unleashed by Bereznaks fairly mild article making fun of a minor geek celebrity is whats REALLY disgusting here. Above me I see a playing card calling Bereznak a "heinous *****", another post says she deserves to be physically assaulted and fucked (how original):
Sean Strife said:
This is one woman who deserves a nice **** punting. But hey, people like her get what's coming to them in the end and she'll wind up getting her face beated in by some Jersey Shore-reject looking goofball.
How nice of you to acknowledge her right to date whoever she wants however she wants (a right many men deny her). What about her right to express herself freely? If she wanted to be really mean theres about a million ways she could have done so far more effectively. Your lack of imagination in this regard is stunning.

The reaction to this incident reminds me of a similar incident in the atheist/skeptical community, "elevatorgate": http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

Also what on earth makes you think you can apologise on behalf of "women everywhere" I didn't see you run for office. And I think some of the female gamers who have to put up with this sort of shit might disagree http://fatuglyorslutty.com/

You Ms. Arendt (& signatories) should be ashamed of your stance on this issue. You do the cause of womens rights no favours at all. I hope the favour you curry with all them sexist men in your audience earns you lots of money. Hey, maybe a promotion! Go Sisters!

Regards,

Gunboat

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Vuirneen said:
I have a fondness for knitting. It keeps me warm at night.
You know, I actually wish I was coordinated enough to knit. I'd love to do a Doctor Who scarf for myself.
My first scarf took 2 years to knit. Once I'd gotten partway through, I knew that I'd never make another one and that it better be long enough before I gave up. It is long enough to almost reach the ground when hooked around my neck and most people refer to it as the Doctor Who scarf.

Of course, you probably meant a Tardis pattern scarf.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Savagezion said:
Well, now she has became what she hates. She has had a Magic card made of her.

A card that no sane man would dare tap. That's got to be the best covert insult I've seen in ages.

Wildflowers

Jan 28, 2011
Frankly, I went out with one of my longest lasting boyfriends solely because we shared a love of MTG.
So that internet chick can bite my shiny metal ass!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Vuirneen said:
My first scarf took 2 years to knit. Once I'd gotten partway through, I knew that I'd never make another one and that it better be long enough before I gave up. It is long enough to almost reach the ground when hooked around my neck and most people refer to it as the Doctor Who scarf.
Gives you a vast respect for the woman who knit the original, huh? Probably thinking all the time that this crazy TV producer must be nuts for wanting a scarf that long!

Vuirneen

Nov 16, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Vuirneen said:
Gives you a vast respect for the woman who knit the original, huh? Probably thinking all the time that this crazy TV producer must be nuts for wanting a scarf that long!
Well, mine was 30 stitches wide and in ribbing. (I was a giant idiot). If she'd any sense, the original knitter may have used a knitting machine.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Vuirneen said:
Well, mine was 30 stitches wide and in ribbing. (I was a giant idiot). If she'd any sense, the original knitter may have used a knitting machine.
Would make a hell of a lot more sense than doing it by hand, I'll admit....

GunboatDiplomat said:
What about her right to express herself freely?
Person Y express her opinion of Person Z's hobby choice.
Person X express her opinion of Person Y's opinion.
Person W express his/her opinion of Person X's opinion.
Person V expresses his opinion and makes offtopic knitting posts.

I think everyone's expressing themselves freely right now.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
EQUALITY!!! From the sound of it id rather tap islands (I hate blue users) then this Bereznak.

girl_in_background said:
Way to go for enforcing the stereotype that women are shallow, asinine bitches who won't give a man the time of day if he isn't into EXACTLY the same things as she is. I would like to add my apologies on behalf of that conniving troll's behaviour. So sorry that you wasted your time on this pretentious twat, Jon.
Your gif is legend.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I'm not one to respond to threads using only images, but I feel that, in this case, this .gif sums up my feelings pretty well.

(Also, Susan, yet another great piece of writing. You're batting a freakin' thousand lately.)

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
GunboatDiplomat said:

What disgusts me is your pandering to most backward impulses of your male audience.

However the shitstorm of misogyny unleashed by Bereznaks fairly mild article making fun of a minor geek celebrity is whats REALLY disgusting here. Above me I see a playing card calling Bereznak a "heinous *****", another post says she deserves to be physically assaulted and fucked (how original):
Sean Strife said:
This is one woman who deserves a nice **** punting. But hey, people like her get what's coming to them in the end and she'll wind up getting her face beated in by some Jersey Shore-reject looking goofball.
How nice of you to acknowledge her right to date whoever she wants however she wants (a right many men deny her). What about her right to express herself freely? If she wanted to be really mean theres about a million ways she could have done so far more effectively. Your lack of imagination in this regard is stunning.

The reaction to this incident reminds me of a similar incident in the atheist/skeptical community, "elevatorgate": http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

Also what on earth makes you think you can apologise on behalf of "women everywhere" I didn't see you run for office. And I think some of the female gamers who have to put up with this sort of shit might disagree http://fatuglyorslutty.com/

You Ms. Arendt (& signatories) should be ashamed of your stance on this issue. You do the cause of womens rights no favours at all. I hope the favour you curry with all them sexist men in your audience earns you lots of money. Hey, maybe a promotion! Go Sisters!

Regards,

Gunboat
You're defending Miss Bereznik's slanderous publication by saying that she could have done worse? I wonder how that would work in a grand theft trial: "well, in my defense, I didn't kill the guy."

Bullshit argument and you know it.

She published slanderous filth and should have to face some consequence for her actions. The fact that she probably won't and that she'll likely get a bonus because of it is what's infuriating.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Frankly I'm surprised Anon hasn't torched the ***** yet. This seems like the kind of thing they would attack.

Anywho, on topic. Its good to see something like this pop up, though I never agreed with the whole "apologizing for others" thing.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I completely applaud the Ladies of Nerdland on their mature and proper response to such an appaling journalist.
I'm quite certain that Alyssa could work for Jack Thompson. Blame anything on the geeks, right? :p

Myan

I Want to Go to There!
Dec 16, 2003
GunboatDiplomat said:

Sean Strife said:

Regards,

Gunboat
Lighten up Francis. You don't speak for womenkind either, and certainly not this woman.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
That... is the most moronic criteria I've ever seen for ditching someone. I mean, what does she gain out of ditching a dude just because he's got an odd hobby.