An end to racism and discrimination?

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Scarecrow38 said:
leontyrone said:
I've been thinking about this for a long time now and just wanted to see what others thought about it.

Steps towards ending racism and discrimination:
1. erase all nation and international borders and create a single nation.
2. (this would have to be implanted into the infants) - by having erased all nations and creating a single nation, eventually, separate cultures would merge together, forming a single culture, which would lead to an end of culutral discrimination.
3. also by merging all peoples, a singular language would need to be created and accents would disappear, thus an end to language discrimination.
4. Over time, as we continue to procreate, eventually all races would merge into a singular race, thus an end to racism.
5. If all those infants were taught the same morals of law and justice, then there would be no hate, or theft, or murder. (sort of like communism without a government)

With everybody being of one race, one culture, one language, and one nation, nobody would be over another and there would be no need of racism or discrimination (unless of course some persons experienced deformities or disabilities at birth or at any point in their lives).

With that, I'd like to leave you with a message which I titled "A simple but powerful prayer for friends"
Grant me the courage to protect those most precious to me, the ability to carry their sorrows, and the happiness to know that they lived better lives through me.
I see what you're getting at and it's a good thing you're attempting to create but we might as well, in the next 24 hours, end all conflict in the Middle East, cure every single type of cancer, colonise Mars and meet back here at half past impossible.
Scrubs reference FTW!

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Anyone read the "Four Lords of the Diamond" series by Jack Chalker? It features a human society like this spread out over half the galaxy. They meet an alien race that basically does nothing more than poke them and it all falls apart.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I've read some ludicrous ideas on this site, but you win for having the most out there.
1. How do you think this should be implemented? Which language would we use? You don't think every non English speaking country wouldn't think their language is best? You don't think every English speaking country would tolerate any language other than English?
2. Exactly how do you overcome nationalism? You hear those dumb country assholes singing "Proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm freeeeeee!!" (protip: you're not.)? Most nations have a measurable population that think their country is the greatest and would only be worsened by merging with anyone else. You think most Japanese are excited by the prospect of merging with Gaijin? (Protip: Declining population means they'll have to at some point! hahahahahaha)
3. Teaching infants morality? Good luck with that too. Are the parents just going to surrender them to some moral authority to be raised? Children learn basic attitudes from parents, so unless you're going to kidnap babies to be raised your perfect ideal (which by the way, how do you know you're right?) means you can't do that either.
4. An end to murder, theft and hate? Oh man, I had a good long Gut laugh at that one. Final protip: communism doesn't work, because even if all things are equal some men are richer in luck, love and intelligence and some men will always hate them for it and be jealous. In fact many of those same men will resort to violence and theft to try and get what they want or just to express their spite. Then there are psychopaths and sociopaths who will murder, exploit and molest just because they like it.

A little advice. When you get out of high school (you clearly haven't yet from the tone of your post), try living in the real world rather than idealizing a better one and wondering why no one has tried this before.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
leontyrone said:
I've been thinking about this for a long time now and just wanted to see what others thought about it.

How would you do this, people would not want it. What right to you have to impose this on people? Why do you think your idea is so much better?
2. (this would have to be implanted into the infants) - by having erased all nations and creating a single nation, eventually, separate cultures would merge together, forming a single culture, which would lead to an end of culutral discrimination.
By having a Nation you would have a Government. This immediately creates different groups and classes which would cause tension and conflict.

Teaching an ideology to people, even from birth does not mean they will accept that it and certainly would not result in them all following it.

To do this you would have to suppress information about history. What benefit would this kind of tyranny offer other than ignorance. I think this quote sums up the problems with eroding history and past cultures: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

3. also by merging all peoples, a singular language would need to be created and accents would disappear, thus an end to language discrimination.
Why could there not be many languages? Language evolves all the time, by limiting it you would limit creativity and variety. By reverting to just one language, even if it evolves with new words it would still cripple language development. There are so many sayings and words in other languages that are not covered in English. How would you account for this?

Accents would not disappear. I speak English, I was educated in the same way as other people my age who also learnt English. However, go 50 miles from my home town and there's a different language. Just listen to accents from London, Somerset, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester, Swansea, Glasgow they are all so different despite all using the same language.

As a result there would be some sort of language and accent based as well as regional based discrimination.

4. Over time, as we continue to procreate, eventually all races would merge into a singular race, thus an end to racism.
Biologically speaking there are no races within humans, we're just all one big happy family. You can have more in common, genetically with a person of a different

This would take quite a few generations. However, what if people don't do this? What if people reject it, it is not inevitable that the situation you pose would occur. Even if you did get rid of racism people would argue over some other difference, political differences would still be rife.

5. If all those infants were taught the same morals of law and justice, then there would be no hate, or theft, or murder. (sort of like communism without a government)
Firstly, the only way to achieve Communism is to abolish the State (Government). Morals around the world do not wildly vary, they are generally based on not causing harm to others.

We are all taught morals but we do not always follow them. We even betray our own principles from time to time, it's part of being human. You can't teach people to always override their nature.

With everybody being of one race, one culture, one language, and one nation, nobody would be over another and there would be no need of racism or discrimination (unless of course some persons experienced deformities or disabilities at birth or at any point in their lives).
Sadly this would not be this case. Conflict is seemingly ingrained in us. It exists throughout existence even at the most basic level. Like I say, you can't escape human nature.

With that, I'd like to leave you with a message which I titled "A simple but powerful prayer for friends"
Grant me the courage to protect those most precious to me, the ability to carry their sorrows, and the happiness to know that they lived better lives through me.
From what I understand of religion; it is easy to be good to those we know and love, true kindness is to be good to those we don't.

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
Pyronox said:
Delicious said:
Pyronox said:
Religion is the root of all evil in this era...

...and the UN must enforce.
These made me giggle.

First one because of how ignorant it is. Someone is seriously overestimating the influence of religion in this day and age.

Second one because the idea of the UN enforcing anything is like a belligerent armless man strangling someone.

He can threaten all right, but in the end he can't do shit.
Let me explain a concept to you in the form of a question:

Can someone's name influences who they are? (Like when people associate names with certain traits, etc)

The ignorant may say yes. The knowledgeable one may say no. But the smart one will say yes, because he understands that fundamentally, the human brain can associate colors with words and sounds and therefore many other aspects of human consciousness. Being exposed to their own name all there life may cause an effect in the long run, associated with genetics, heredity and nurture.

You see, you have to look at every aspect of the thing. Even though religion is giving way to technology, it still has the power to create gigantic fiascoes and wars. I believe that is evidence enough.

Also, enforcing doesn't suggest taking up arms. Why the hell would you think that? The idea is use one's political power to convince. wow...
Gigantic fiascos and wars? In the present? Sorry bud, not happening on the "gigantic" scale.

On smaller scales and issues, sure. But that is certainly not as gigantic as oh say, genocide (the more recent and infamous of which taking place in secular areas by secular people, I might add). In fact, most of the most horrible regimes in the world have been athiest.

So don't blame religion for all the evil in the world. Blame man.

And you can't enforce anything without the ability to take up arms, because there is nothing to stop your audience from ignoring you (as most countries, including the United States, have done to the UN).

Want to know why? Because "political power" comes from some sort of leverage (historically the most effective type being military leverage). The UN has no true leverage over anyone, and as a result no real power.

(Also, keep in mind that economic persuasion has no effect on nations that are already economically ruined, which are usually the ones that also in a state of political turmoil or all out war).

I'm ashamed that I actually had to explain that to someone.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
leontyrone said:

BOOOO! OUT WITH GLOBALIZATION!!! BOOO!

One nation wont change a thing. Just look at the USA its a pool of mixture of races and still has racism up the ass.

leugim789

May 29, 2008
i like being different though i like knowing that when i go to France i will be able to delve into the history of a place that is so rich in culture, or when i visit my home country where i speak Spanish with my family and eat their delicious cultural food, maybe not we, but at least i know i need to have different culture, being able to say i am proud of being Hispanic or Colombian does not make me a racist for i respect all equally. Your idea is lets end sadness so we can be happy, but how can we know what happiness is when there is no sadness?

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Bachanomon92 said:
It might work, but only through excessive military force and whatnot. This would lead to the resentment of the conquerors, thus leading to indifference, going full circle back to racism.

Racism will never die, as much as people want it to. People will always think differently, its just a part of the human condition.

You want everyone to get along? Find a select group of people who think exactly alike, hole them up in a bunker, arm them, nuke everyone else, and have your select few kill off the other survivors.
actually i think that would work, minus the radiation and all that