An hypothetical question for recent Fallout fans

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Nulmas said:
Imagine that Bethesda announces that they would be postponing the development of Fallout 4. In that time, they would be developing a spin-off of the series that was an action dungeon crawler.

And then they hit you with these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4i_iXNP-E (trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifnMjqdm4QE (video)
I lived it, except Bethesda was called Interplay and they laid off the entire Black Isle Fallout 1 / 2 devs and greenlit that project instead of of Black Isle's ALREADY BETA Fallout 3 / Van Braun.

It was horrible.

killercyclist

Feb 12, 2011
the game looks like something julie strain (live action heavy metal) would star in. burn it, throw it down a drain.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Vkmies said:
I feel the same way about NV. I want an old-school Fallout.
Oh come on now. Despite it's numerous flaws, mostly bug related, at least NV had it's heart in the right place. A lot more so than Fallout 3.
While I agree, that the numerous references and stylistic changes were very welcome, I still couldn't get over the fact that it's largely a First Person Shooter, much like 3. Yes, while you could taste the love by Interplay, the taste of Bethesda was still on there and not subtle. Basically, what I would want, is an Isometric view and turn-based combat among other smaller touches. Why on earth did that genre die, when the touch-screen-craze is sweeping the world?

EDIT: And yes,"Taste of Interplays love" came out way differently than it meant to.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Vkmies said:
Why the hell were these types of games die anyway? I'm talking about games with that isometric camera angle! Jagged Alliance got completely killed! X-com had a genre-change! Fallout went trough 3 genre changes with Tactics, BoS and then 3! I don't understand! I WANT THEM BACK!
Probably because of the flaws inherent in the isometric style.

Seriously would Mass Effect have been as glorious as an isometric crawler?

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Stainlesssteele4 said:
Internet Kraken said:
For those wondering why the Fallout franchise fell of the face of the earth for quite some time, that game is partly responsible.
Not just this game, but Interplay's haphazard handling of a great franchise. Its because of that, Bethesda is doing everything to keep Interplay from creating the MMO.
Why is everyone so buttmad at Bethesda then? Seems to me like they are at least trying to keep the spirit of the games intact.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
evilneko said:
Vkmies said:
Why the hell were these types of games die anyway? I'm talking about games with that isometric camera angle! Jagged Alliance got completely killed! X-com had a genre-change! Fallout went trough 3 genre changes with Tactics, BoS and then 3! I don't understand! I WANT THEM BACK!

I believe games in that POV worked, and still would. While I do agree that a game like Mass Effect wouldn't work out as one, I have to point out that the same studio made Dragon Age: Origins, which was pretty much meant to be played with an isometric view and it was amazing. I think the touch-screen-phase of today would be a really good place for isometric turn-based-strategy games and RPG's to return. The DS, PSP-Vita and the touch-screened cell-phones would serve as a great place for games like that.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Vkmies said:
Cowabungaa said:
Vkmies said:
Oh come on now. Despite it's numerous flaws, mostly bug related, at least NV had it's heart in the right place. A lot more so than Fallout 3.
While I agree, that the numerous references and stylistic changes were very welcome, I still couldn't get over the fact that it's largely a First Person Shooter, much like 3. Yes, while you could taste the love by Interplay, the taste of Bethesda was still on there and not subtle. Basically, what I would want, is an Isometric view and turn-based combat among other smaller touches. Why on earth did that genre die, when the touch-screen-craze is sweeping the world?
Because honestly, Fallout 1 and 2's combat is simply incredibly archaic. It's clunky, slow, and not all that tactical to begin with. It has nothing to offer in this day and age, touch-screens or not.

Mind you, turn-based combat could work, but it needs one helluva update. Isometric view is exit anyway. I really don't know why people want that back, outside of nostalgic reasons. Really people, it's a stiff and clunky thing. What the hell is so bad about being able to see shit from any angle you want, including isometric-style. What's so bad about giving people options to do as they please? Isn't that what Fallout is about in the first place?

[sub]That's what she said![/sub]

*ahem*

I must say by the way, that I used VATS a lot more than the actual first person shooting. Baddies moving with lightning speed and framerate issues and all. On the PS3.

Johnmw

Mar 19, 2009
Vkmies said:
evilneko said:
Vkmies said:

I believe games in that POV worked, and still would. While I do agree that a game like Mass Effect wouldn't work out as one, I have to point out that the same studio made Dragon Age: Origins, which was pretty much meant to be played with an isometric view and it was amazing. I think the touch-screen-phase of today would be a really good place for isometric turn-based-strategy games and RPG's to return. The DS, PSP-Vita and the touch-screened cell-phones would serve as a great place for games like that.
I agree completely. I love the isometric POV, it allows for stunning scenery that doesn't cost the studio a ton of money. A touchscreen powered isometric RPG could work fantastically.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Vkmies said:
Cowabungaa said:
Vkmies said:
Because honestly, Fallout 1 and 2's combat is simply incredibly archaic. It's clunky, slow, and not all that tactical to begin with. It has nothing to offer in this day and age, touch-screens or not.

Mind you, turn-based combat could work, but it needs one helluva update. Isometric view is exit anyway. I really don't know why people want that back, outside of nostalgic reasons. Really people, it's a stiff and clunky thing. What the hell is so bad about being able to see shit from any angle you want, including isometric-style. What's so bad about giving people options to do as they please? Isn't that what Fallout is about in the first place?

[sub]That's what she said![/sub]

*ahem*

I must say by the way, that I used VATS a lot more than the actual first person shooting. Baddies moving with lightning speed and framerate issues and all. On the PS3.
I can respect that, even though I personally enjoy the slow paste of the isometric view and turn-based combat, no matter how badly it has aged. I do agree that it would need updating to make it feel tactical again, though. Personally, I believe isometric view is rather charming and could work on touch screens and computers, even today.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
I'm going to have to admit, that song was pretty fucking awesome. I mean, the game sucks, and the music doesn't fit Fallout, I know. But still, that song was excellent.

Anyone know what it was?

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
This is not Fallout.

Hell, all you'd need to do is change a few names and you'd have something completely unrelated to Fallout.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel = The Adventures of Captain McScowleyface and his Bimbo Crew
Brotherhood of Steel = Fraternity of Iron
Super Mutants = Hyper Mutants

There. Now it's just a mediocre dungeon crawler, instead of a mediocre dungeon crawler that slanders the Fallout name.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
HHammond said:
Nulmas said:
HHammond said:
I'd probably cry. It would be the second time a series has gone from well paced, fun but challenging gameplay to samey, shooty, no brain required action (the first one was Resident Evil).
Really? You didn't like RE4? I can understand 5, because that was a step backwards but 4 was a great game. If you mean that you don't like that a survival horror franchise took an actionised direction, I totally know what you mean.

But the game itself? It was great, and did require more thinking than your typical shooter. Like managing your inventory well, protecting Ashley, strategically buying/upgrading the right guns, learning how to deal with new Ganados mutations, watching out for the traps etc.

If it weren't a Resident Evil game and was instead something like, I dunno, "European Infection", do you think you'd be kinder to it? I know I'd probably be much kinder to FFXII if I wasn't mentally holding it to the standards of some of my favourite games.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Hmmm...nope, just some broken links. Apparently the game you're referring to doesn't exist.

I said it DOESN'T EXIST. Shut up.

I SAID SHUT UP, DAMMIT! THE GAME DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST!
You bastard you complete bastard, I just spent housrs on cracked going through various articles!
( I do love lists) and now this!

OT: replace New Mombosa with that game and you seem y reaction.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Iklwa said:
I don't know if you're one of these recent Fallout fans, but if you are, I'll fill you in on a little something:

WE DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT MENTION THIS "GAME"
I may not be an old fan of Fallout even though I am still debating playing those games I have to say thank you for making my day with that post hahaha.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
linear corridors?

doesn't that defeat like the whole purpose of fallout?

Leviathan_ said:
Stainlesssteele4 said:
Internet Kraken said:
For those wondering why the Fallout franchise fell of the face of the earth for quite some time, that game is partly responsible.
Not just this game, but Interplay's haphazard handling of a great franchise. Its because of that, Bethesda is doing everything to keep Interplay from creating the MMO.
Why is everyone so buttmad at Bethesda then? Seems to me like they are at least trying to keep the spirit of the games intact.
yeah, the bethesda hate annoys me too.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I thought Brotherhood of Steel, I dunno, sucked?

And I'm one of the people that owns Fallout 1 and 2 (and Tactics, but I didn't get around to playing it yet) but not the new ones. I just know via word of mouth that this game blows.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
I don't understand OP... Are you saying you like BoS...? It's an abomination!

And here I thought that this thread might have been about Van Buren, that would have interested me...

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I was gonna write a response but then I realized that this never actually happened and that game never existed in the first place. Silly me.

Nulmas

Jul 16, 2010
Mike Laserbeam said:
I don't understand OP... Are you saying you like BoS...? It's an abomination!

And here I thought that this thread might have been about Van Buren, that would have interested me...
Who, me? I never even touched that atrocity. I just figured this would spark a nice discussion.

imnotparanoid said:
Neverhoodian said:
You bastard you complete bastard, I just spent housrs on cracked going through various articles!
( I do love lists) and now this!
The exact same thing happened to me recently. Someone posted a tvtropes page in a thread on Cracked and now I'm addicted to it :p

Ironic Pirate said:
I'm going to have to admit, that song was pretty fucking awesome. I mean, the game sucks, and the music doesn't fit Fallout, I know. But still, that song was excellent.

Anyone know what it was?
I have no idea, but I guess it should be one of these: http://www.duckandcover.cx/official/fobos/music.html

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Ok,now everybody say it with me now...3! 2! 1!!!

This isn't Fallout,this is some shitty game with the Fallout label on it so it can gain publicity.