An Interesting Fact About Your Country

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
The Stonker said:
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
Iceland! Lets come with a fact about Iceland.
Well, we have the biggest glacier in Europe (Greenland doesn't count.)
They voted not to pay back the countries in Europe that they lost their money for.
The man who owned the bank is responsable for this.
Not the country.
I'm sorry but Iceland just doesn't want to pay money that they can't handle and we don't bail everything out like the Americans, so yeah, screw you.
Ok. Want another fact about Iceland, you have a penis museum in Reykjavik.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
Dutch people are the tallest in the world, with an average height of 184 cm for men and 170 cm for women.

I feel so completely average right now, being exactly 184 cm. >_>

Also, half our country is below sealevel.
If we get hit by an enthousiastic wave, I will be about 3 meters below sealevel.
Stay away, tsunami!

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
In Scotland, you cannot get drunk if you are in possession of a cow, and it is legal to kill a Welshman within the walls of Chester, as long as you do it with a longbow after sunset.

gertmenkel

May 13, 2010
I live in The Netherlands.
The highest point in our country is called the ?Vaalserberg? (=Vaals Mountain) and it is as much as 323 meters high.

Yay for the flattest land of North West Europe!

Also, you can get legal drugs in "coffee shops", and even grow weed yourself (if you use it, not sell it)

Same gender mariages have been legal since 2001

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
gertmenkel said:
I live in The Netherlands.
The highest point in our country is called the ?Vaalserberg? (=Vaals Mountain) and it is as much as 323 meters high.

Yay for the flattest land of North West Europe!

Also, you can get legal drugs in "coffee shops", and even grow weed yourself (if you use it, not sell it)

Same gender mariages have been legal since 2001
Isnt denmark the flattest land?

Denmarks highest mountain is just 170,86 m

doctorjackal777

May 25, 2009
Treblaine said:
doctorjackal777 said:
I'm from Australia and contrary to popular (American) belief we don't all sound like the crocodile hunter, say G'day and wear corks on our hats.
SO you mean some Australians don't have Australian accents?

What kind of accents do you have?!?! Every Australian I've met has had an Australian accent. On maybe all those French people I knew were actually Australian?

Sorry if I sound bitchy but I really do get the impression Australians are far too sensitive over their national identity, objecting even to positive iconography and treating the mere reference to a single Aussie Bushman as "OHHH so you think we are ALL like that?!?".

It's like a Brit getting all shirty every time Family Guy depicts a typical Englishman as some David Niven type of upper class snob, or some Mary Poppins nonsense. Why so sensitive?
And that's your problem you assume the croc hunter accent is the only Australian accent it's not. That's like saying all Americans sound like Texans that's not true either. Depending on where you come from in Australia you will have a different accent.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
doctorjackal777 said:
Treblaine said:
doctorjackal777 said:
I'm from Australia and contrary to popular (American) belief we don't all sound like the crocodile hunter, say G'day and wear corks on our hats.

What kind of accents do you have?!?! Every Australian I've met has had an Australian accent. On maybe all those French people I knew were actually Australian?

Sorry if I sound bitchy but I really do get the impression Australians are far too sensitive over their national identity, objecting even to positive iconography and treating the mere reference to a single Aussie Bushman as "OHHH so you think we are ALL like that?!?".

It's like a Brit getting all shirty every time Family Guy depicts a typical Englishman as some David Niven type of upper class snob, or some Mary Poppins nonsense. Why so sensitive?
And that's your problem you assume the croc hunter accent is the only Australian accent it's not. That's like saying all Americans sound like Texans that's not true either. Depending on where you come from in Australia you will have a different accent.
Hang on a minute, I never said Australians all had only one accent that is EXACTLY like Steve Irwin and I don't think anyone has ever said that. But still fairly similar. I can just about tell the difference between a Kiwi and Aussie accent but I'll tell you it's bloody hard, let alone within the different regions of Australia.

Again, you're just being hyper-sensitive. We recognise an Australian accent (think yourself better off than most countries) only get pissy that we can't pin down precisely which region it comes from.

And it's true anyway, Americans do sound LIKE Texans (though not EXACTLY the same). Not stereotypical giant belt-buckle rodeo type but I have met many real Texans personally and Americans from other states and overall you can clearly see the common accent but it takes a good ear to tell the difference between a midwest and east-coast accent (California is all over the place though).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
A Weary Exile said:
doctorjackal777 said:
Ooh, I can do this too.

I'm from America and contrary to popular (Australian) belief we aren't all idiots.

You used an opportunity to say something interesting about your country to take a swipe at Americans. Nice.

Florida, United States

Home to the oldest European settlement on American soil (St.Augustine) and it's also the home of NASA who are based at Cape Canaveral.
it wasnt suposed to be derogatry, its jsut that Americans often assosiate Australia with the crodile dundee/we all live in the outback image, because its whats unique about us even though its not exactally an acurate representation of the avergae Australian

very few people live in the "outback" we all live in cities on the coast not so different from american cities

anyway its no different for anyone, like Australians and Americans assume russions live in a frozen freezer and drink vodka all the time,

and yeah some Australians are like "hurr hurrr those dumb ignorant Americans, I hate America" when really THEY are probably more dumb and ignortant becausr they are assuming a country of 300+ million people and every one of them is dumb and ignorant

and hell how can somone NOT be ignorant when your pop culture has spilled out and infected the world? everything you do see or wtach its all america america america

and how can I hate a country that makes most of the films I watch? the games I play?

EDIT: in other words youre being oversensitive and took it the wrong way

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Treblaine said:
doctorjackal777 said:
Treblaine said:
doctorjackal777 said:

Hang on a minute, I never said Australians all had only one accent that is EXACTLY like Steve Irwin and I don't think anyone has ever said that. But still fairly similar. I can just about tell the difference between a Kiwi and Aussie accent but I'll tell you it's bloody hard, let alone within the different regions of Australia.

Again, you're just being hyper-sensitive. We recognise an Australian accent (think yourself better off than most countries) only get pissy that we can't pin down precisely which region it comes from.

And it's true anyway, Americans do sound LIKE Texans (though not EXACTLY the same). Not stereotypical giant belt-buckle rodeo type but I have met many real Texans personally and Americans from other states and overall you can clearly see the common accent but it takes a good ear to tell the difference between a midwest and east-coast accent (California is all over the place though).
*facepalm*

the truth is our accent isnt as thick as the crocodile dundee one, especailly with american influence in some areas, its not nessicarly the accent thing eather, its also slang and such, alot of our slang I think it dying out, such as G'day that was his point,generally we dont talk like that or have such manerisms

its not about picking out induvidual nuances in accents, you missed the point of what he ment

the point was he was only pointing out that that the Identity we have, really couldnt be further from the actual truth

anyway I can tell a little froom differnt american accents from movies and such , like new yorker, southern and all that, though I imagine actualy americans can pick up the subtlties better than I could, its the same with everyone

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
The UK was the birthplace of Geology as a science thanks to a wide selection of different geological terains caused by several major tectonic events. Or in layman's terms, 'them there nice looking hills are quite cool'.

(Well I find that interesting).

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
Kaltazraza said:
Deus mortuus est said:
Kaltazraza said:
Denmark has the unique letters æ, ø, and å.
Doesn't Norway use them as well? And Sweden uses the å too.
Sweden uses ä ö instead of æ and ø, and the Norwegian alphabet is also called the dansk-norske alfabet / danish-Norwegian alphabet. There you have it.
Both Norway and Sweden was danish once which also gives a bit more meaning to it, maybe.
Perhaps, but saying that it's unique to a single country when it's not is still untrue.

minka1995

Jan 6, 2011
In Australia we love our penguins. Seriously don't mess with them, they're protected by armed snipers around the clock.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Cow Trails
Many of the older roads in the more rural parts of the US were created via cow trail
This is when you would let a cow loose in the woods and mark the trail it followed, thus creating a road. This is why there are parts of the rural US roadway that wind and turn and twist illogically.

There are also Church Roads
When many early settler towns were started, they built their houses in one place, then assembled a congregation, then pooled together the money to build a church on a patch of cheaper land, somewhere little ways away from the town, because it was all they could afford.

They then built one road leading straight to the church, and named the road after that church.
There are still plenty of streets and roads that kept their old names, like Tirzah Church Rd in my area.

Weird huh?

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
They voted not to pay back the countries in Europe that they lost their money for.
Not the country.
I'm sorry but Iceland just doesn't want to pay money that they can't handle and we don't bail everything out like the Americans, so yeah, screw you.
No, it's in Húsavík.
Seriously, get your facts correct.

Another fun thing about Iceland is that we've only had one "war" which was really a civil war and it was called Sturlungaöld, the same age as when Snorri Sturlusson was alive.
He's the guy who wrote for instance Heimskringlan and a book about Norse mythology.

Now, if you're trying to drag me on the carpet on my country then I only say this.
Bring it on.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Pakistan has the second largest mountain in the world, Mount Godwin Austin AKA K2.

The first computer virus was created by Pakistanis.

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
The Stonker said:
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
Not the country.
No, it's in Húsavík.
Seriously, get your facts correct.

Another fun thing about Iceland is that we've only had one "war" which was really a civil war and it was called Sturlungaöld, the same age as when Snorri Sturlusson was alive.
He's the guy who wrote for instance Heimskringlan and a book about Norse mythology.

Now, if you're trying to drag me on the carpet on my country then I only say this.
Bring it on.
hehe, fair enough. I really don't know much about Iceland to be honest. Although, I do have one question. Have heard this before (obviously you will know this for certain or not) but is Iceland one of the only countries left that has the (your fathers name)sson surname structure still going? My country does, but it is quite rare, and only in the west does it happen i.e Iolo ap Dafydd