An Interesting Fact About Your Country

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Whenever i'm talking to someone who isn't in ireland and they mention something that we have a different name for I shout eg: "IN MY COUNTRY, they're called TRAFFIC lights!"
but to fit the OP a bit better, Ireland is apparently the ugliest country in Europe.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
joebear15 said:
Jonluw said:
Norway was practically a third world country before we struck oil.
Now we're at the top of the united nations' human development list.

Also: Vikings.
wait you stuck oil without being invaded by my country, thats amazing, did you drill it up while our government was distracted?
I can't remember how it went, but our government managed to get exclusive rights to all oil-drilling by our coast, so all the oil belongs to the people.
http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/oed/Subject/Oil-and-Gas/norways-oil-history-in-5-minutes.html?id=440538

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Well In Canada. We Invented Hockey, and Basketball. Were the largest country situated on one continent (Russia's on 2). We've the largest coastline, largest freshwater island. Largest freshwater reserves.
And for our population size at the time our contribution to WW1 and 2 for men and resources were staggering.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Tiger Sora said:
Well In Canada. We Invented Hockey, and Basketball. Were the largest country situated on one continent (Russia's on 2). We've the largest coastline, largest freshwater island. Largest freshwater reserves.
And for our population size at the time our contribution to WW1 and 2 for men and resources were staggering.
MASSACHUSETTS created basketball hence why we have the hall of fame in Springfield MA

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
I'm from Zambia and we have the tallest waterfall in the world (Victoria falls located on the Zambezi river between my country and our twin, Zimbabwe), an it's awesome. Also, Africa is not as big of an assbackwards, aids-ridden craphole (full of starving skeleton people) as people think; there are areas where it's REALLY REALLY bad but not as bad as most people think.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Matt Oliver said:
Tiger Sora said:
MASSACHUSETTS created basketball hence why we have the hall of fame in Springfield MA
James Naismith. Go look up this man. He's the guy who invented basketball. And he's Canadian.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Scotland: Apparently our flag, the Saltire, or St Andrews Cross is the oldest flag in the world, dating back to the 9th century.

BlackIvory

May 2, 2011
jonyboy13 said:
<-Israel
Not a fun place to live in. Also not a good place to survive. Also, surviving is even harder when you don't believe in a certain imaginary friend.

We got great junk food though.
Wow you paint a grim picture, sure sometimes life can be hard here, but its still one of the most developed countries in the world.
And what does "not a good place to survive" mean?...

Ok my interesting fact:In our Independenc War, which erupted the very next day after we declared our new country, we got attacked from all fronts by Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, AND Saudi Arabia. All of which had greatly supirior numbers and fire power. And we still kicked their ass :p

We are also called the "Start-Up Nation", with tons of technological innovations to the world such as the first edible cam-pill, the USB stick, the first dual-core CPU and many more.

[/end patriotic rant] :p

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
I Hail from The United States of America.

I must tell you that it is nowhere near as bad as people act like it is

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
We South Africans: Gave up Nuclear weapons, had pres. Mandela, create soap operas in more than three languages (Not that I approve of this), actually have some civilised areas and are NOT lion owners who catch Springbok every Sunday for lunch! (you would be amazed what people think).

GazDM

Apr 19, 2011
sergnb said:
The biggest Empire in the history of the world was the spanish empire.
I thought British and then Mongolian was bigger (Wikipedia also supports this and says Russian is 3rd which makes sense). Fourth isn't bad though Spain, but you got nothing on us Brits when it comes to imperialism and oppression!

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Ireland:
Am... we were the first to ban smoking in public buildings and whatnot, also, we can't buy booze after ten o' clock at night. What has become of us?!
The Queen of England is visiting next week, I'm worried someone will kill her.
Lots of Americans think they're Irish for no tangible reason.
Irish was the first vernacular language in Europe to develop a written form.
We really do have leprechauns... swear.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
We just won the Ice Hockey World Championship gold medal!

Also, Finland was first European country to adopt universal suffrage.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Ireland:
Am... we were the first to ban smoking in public buildings and whatnot, also, we can't buy booze after ten o' clock at night. What has become of us?!
The Queen of England is visiting next week, I'm worried someone will kill her.
Lots of Americans think they're Irish for no tangible reason.
Irish was the first vernacular language in Europe to develop a written form.
We really do have leprechauns... swear.
Well, since a good chunk of the boston area in Mass is made up of irish families and i descended from an irish mom whos grandfather took the boat from ireland, i think i do have a tangible reason. Point being that the Irish immergrated a shit ton and had a shit ton of kids.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Kukulski said:
Kenko said:
Sweden, we're the only ones who have succesfully invaded and taken parts of Russia without freezing and running away like others ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish-Muscovite_War_%281605%E2%80%931618%29#Poles_in_Moscow_.281610.29

O RLY?
One of the few then? ;)

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
Ham_authority95 said:
to paraphrase Wyatt Cenac "When I see the people at the Tea Party protest with the signs that have Obama with a Hitler mustache drawn on it, I want to go there with a sharpie and draw in a full mustache, a beard, and a mohawk. they'll be like "what are you doing" and I'll say "Now it's a Mr. T party " I pity the fool who doesn't have health insurance, that's a third world issue we are a first world country"
This is THE most awesome reply ever :p dunno why but this how many people here in holland always look to you US people, wondering why the hell you guys dont have a normal healthcare system like europe. :D

Anyway, did you know holland owned New York, and sold it for a pound and an other colony to britain?

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
kiwisushi said:
The Stonker said:
Iceland! Lets come with a fact about Iceland.
Well, we have the biggest glacier in Europe (Greenland doesn't count.)
They voted not to pay back the countries in Europe that they lost their money for.
The man who owned the bank is responsable for this.
Not the country.
I'm sorry but Iceland just doesn't want to pay money that they can't handle and we don't bail everything out like the Americans, so yeah, screw you.