An Interesting Fact About Your Country

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
My country is full of gullable idiots who fight the government giving them free healthcare because the health care industry spread BS lies and people fed into it. So my country is run by corporations. basically I'm pretty upset because while these multibillion dollar companies got people to vote against the government they turned around and made their rules harsher and fees higher.

No seriously fuck your company, making money is one thing, but they took greed to a whole 'nother level

USA, USA, USA.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Treblaine said:
Technically shmecknically, that was a foreign aided coup enacted by the parliament itself. And if I remember correctly a bloodless one as well (except for some riots and minor military skirmishes).
True, but I'm a law student: technicalities will pay my mortgage one day.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
About the Netherlands:

- The average Dutchman has 2.8 bicycles.
- The Dutch are the tallest people in the world.
- Amsterdam is the Dutch capital, but The Hague is the seat of government.

And for the last time: it's the Netherlands, not Holland. Holland is only a part of the Netherlands (two provinces).

Also Dutch women are really hot,

Ot: We had one of the largest empires of modern history all controlled from a tiny island. We rule.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
GundamSentinel said:
About the Netherlands:

- The average Dutchman has 2.8 bicycles.
Used to be 3.8, amirite? ;)

Uh. Another interesting fact about the Netherlands...

New York was once Dutch property, I've heard.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
A lot of very deadly snakes live where I'm from. Wait, that's not a very interesting fact!

How about this: We lost a Prime Minister. Yep, Australia LOST A PRIME MINISTER. Harold Holt went to the beach for a swim, and no one ever saw him again. The highest-elected official in our land simply went missing, probably drowned on one of our beaches.

Can you imagine that happening in any other country? Well, I suppose Bush was almost killed by a Pretzel.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Jimmy Carter was the first US president to be born in a hospital.
There is no existing photograph of Abraham Lincoln smiling.
The US has no official language. (Not kidding)
Wyoming has the lowest population of any state (even behind Rhode Island).

And now facts about my state, Colorado:
Colfax Avenue in Denver is the longest continuous street in America. (it is also notorious for prostitution)
Colorado houses the highest suspension bridge in the world over the Royal Gorge, 1053 feet high.
The 13th step of the state capitol building in Denver is exactly 1 mile above sea level.
The US president's private nuclear panic room is located deep within Cheyenne mountain.

Valiant The Gamer

May 9, 2010
Also 98% of all dutch households has a computer and 95% acces to the internet.
We bought New Amsterdam for 15 gulden at that time.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
From Pennsylvania...Wow, quite a few of us commenting on this, huh? Anyways, here in PA we have zero sales tax. Which is why people from Virginia, West Virginia, and especially Ohio sometimes cross the border to do some shopping.

Negotiator

Mar 17, 2011
I originate from Finland. Unlike other Finns in this thread might make you think, not all of us are nationalists.

As I study linguistics, I'll have to say an interesting fact about the Finnish language: each noun, adjective, numeral and pronoun in Finnish can have over 200 different forms thanks to the fact that the language is agglutinative.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
The world's longest railroad station name is in Wales - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch.

Wales is the most important sheep raising area in Europe. Hence the sheep shagger stereotype. :p

St.Davids is the smallest city in Britain (population 1,500) and is located on the western coast of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, it was granted city status because of the presence of the cathedral.

Cardiff is Europe's youngest capital city. It became a capital in 1955.

Cardiff was the first UK city to be twinned with a Chinese city when it was twinned with Xiamen in 1983.

etc etc..

cormacdffy

Nov 19, 2009
Ireland:

An odd Irish birthday tradition is to lift the birthday child upside down and give his head a few gentle bumps on the floor for good luck. The number of bumps should allegedly correspond to the child?s age plus one.

Dublin was originally called "Dubh Linn," which means "Black Pool." The name refers to an ancient treacle lake in the city, which is now part of a penguin enclosure at the Dublin City Zoo.

Medieval laws in Ireland allowed a man to divorce his wife if she damaged his honor through infidelity, thieving or ?making a mess of everything.?

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
Mordekaien said:
Slovakia is the original birthplace pf Krav Maga
WHAT?!?!?!?
dude... krav maga IS IN HEBREW

please explain yourself

EDIT: ahh man... just got pawnd by Wikipedia.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
In Sweden the selling of sexual services is allowed, but the purchase of said services is illegal.

True story.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Finland, first female president :) I think... we also were one of the first countries to give women the right to vote, second to New Zealand I believe. Also, when Finland became a independent country we were going to be a monarch, and make some prince from Germany our first king, but since they were blamded for WW1 we instead chose a president.

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
While english speaking countries call us germans "krauts", the chinese translation for us means "beers" :)

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
Crazycat690 said:
Finland, first female president :) I think... we also were one of the first countries to give women the right to vote, second to New Zealand I believe. Also, when Finland became a independent country we were going to be a monarch, and make some prince from Germany our first king, but since they were blamded for WW1 we instead chose a president.
I'm going to assume that the president in Finland is the executive branch, so by that comparison Israel had a female PM( Israel's executive branch) in the early 70's

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
We gave you the language you're typing in.

[sup]Oh, man, I'm such a prick sometimes.[/sup]

I can't think of much else besides that we have a law in effect that makes it perfectly legal for an Englishman to kill a Welshman with a bow and arrow in a certain castle.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
According to the liner notes of one Talking Heads album, toast is the national dish of Australia. I'd like to think that that makes me a patriot.