An Interesting Fact About Your Country

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Hum..
Ireland: Our parties are still divided along Civil War lines, despite it having taken places more than half a century ago.

Hungary: Hungary was doing the systematic anti-Semitism thing before Germany started.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Australia here - our government is utterly incompetent, and we have an incredibly over-inflated view of our importance and relevance amongst the other nations of the world.

Oh, and when I say incompetent, I mean really incompetent. You think yours is bad, America? Think again. :p

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
We have the world's oldest Free-standing structures ever found. They predate BOTH Stonehenge and the Pyramids and are in arguably better condition :D. Too bad nobody's ever heard of them :(.

Chatato

Dec 19, 2010
Mcapplepie said:
Apparently, Australia is the fattest country in the world.

... woo Australia.
Well... Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world *Shrugs*

IactoSophos

Apr 3, 2008
Some fun facts about Blighty! (England)

We have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe
We have the largest Governmental organisation in the world (the NHS)
We invented the computer twice, once in the 1870s (think that's correct), and again during the second world war
Until the 1960s, it was illegal to be gay, and you got a choice to either be sterilised or sent to prison
There was supposed to be a share of information between the UK and the US after the second world war to build the first supersonic jet. We sent information about our own project, but never got any information back from the US. About three months later, the project was cancelled; a reason was never given.

Also, a random fact about Worthing (a small town of 100k in the UK), it has the second most active crematorium in Europe!

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
Name of molotov coctail comes from Finland.
Helsinki was one of three capitals that were not occupied during ww2(among London and Moscow).
Finland was only axis country that fought against soviet union but retained its independence/was not occupied.
There is 5.2 million people in Finland and 1.8 million saunas.
Finland is the only country in the world which broadcasts news in Latin.

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Little known fact, I am the Emperor of the United States I just let A bunch of mentally ill baboons run the country in my place as A joke.

-Mavinchious Maximus Ultimus Megatronis Prime, but that is the short version of my name.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
The merchandise term "Made in Germany" was actually introduced by Britain in late 19th century to promote the quality of their own domestic products over foreign ones. And even the boycott during WWI couldn't stop the growing popularity of this mark and it became the synonym for product reliability and quality...

Valiant The Gamer

May 9, 2010
My country invented capitalism as we know it today(Dutch has first stock market in form of VoC).
We also are almost all living below or at sea level.

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Cheskaz said:
Australia - We don't ride around on Kangaroos...I know, i was shocked too.
That is impossible you must be pulling my leg, right good sir?

We had A man stand on the moon, and then defeat the communists with A ring he found on the moon.

Deus mortuus est

Apr 26, 2011
In Sweden we have the right of public access, which basically means that you're allowed to go anywhere you like on the countryside, as long as you don't destroy anything. This makes it super easy to go camping, and it also means that signs like 'No trespassing' can for the most time be ignored. Military areas are not ok to wander into, and in populated areas there are other regulations.

We also have the highest level of social spending to GDP in the world. Oh, and don't forget it was in this cold country that Alfred Nobel was born, the man who invented dynamite!

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
AWC Viper said:
Australia doesn't drink fosters.

your mind now blown.
Good call. I'm sorry I had to.

Interesting fact about the UK. Um... This is where Stephen Hawking is from.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
México...

mmm... we are up to our asses in corruption, the majority are super catholics to the point of fanaticism, we are the most racist people i have ever known (yes even Americans), Camarena invented the color TV but went to the united states because no one here cares about technological discoveries, besides being a country where its majority lives in mid-low economy everyone haves cable or satellite dish even if their house looks like

most luxury products are sold out in the first week, people would rather buy an iPhone than feed their family, if someone kills a man the cops wont look for the culprit but someone they can put the blame into, supposedly the law says we are innocent until proven guilty but its the other way around, there are cities run by drug dealers, the political parties are a joke...

hell, they wanted to close down the "psychiatric care" wing because the party in power says that mentally disabled people are guys punished by god because they were bad in their previous life (how does reincarnation comes into a Christian party? i have no idea)

mmm... i think thats about what i can think off right now.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
About the Netherlands:

- The average Dutchman has 2.8 bicycles.
- The Dutch are the tallest people in the world.
- Amsterdam is the Dutch capital, but The Hague is the seat of government.

And for the last time: it's the Netherlands, not Holland. Holland is only a part of the Netherlands (two provinces).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Furious Styles said:
Treblaine said:
Great Britain has not been invaded by a foreign power since 1066 AD, we have effectively had the same establishment all that time with mere modifications to the running of things.
Hah! Not true. We were, technically, invaded by the Dutch during the glorious revolution. Yes, we invited them, but it still stands as a matter of historical fact that we were invaded in 1688 by William of Orange.

Oh, and the other countries without a codified constitution are New Zealand and Israel
Technically shmecknically, that was a foreign aided coup enacted by the parliament itself. And if I remember correctly a bloodless one as well (except for some riots and minor military skirmishes).