Analyst Calls The Old Republic a "WoW Clone"

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
In other news, Battlefield: Bad Company is just like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare which is just like Halo which is just like Duke Nukem which is just like Doom which is just like...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Xanthious said:
Finally and most importantly this isn't the same Bioware that brought us KOTOR and KOTOR 2.
Not to come off as a jackass, but didn't Obsidain make KotOR 2? Otherwise, I agree with this.

OT: Well, this is good news only for me in the sense that my friend says that this in no way will be a WoW clone. Sad if it is true though.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
And since I'm both a WoW and a Star Wars fan, I'll have no problem getting into this. Great!

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Didn't the makers already say the same thing, somewhat? I remember a statement that they made saying there's no way of making an MMO without at least taking some things from WoW.

And WoW took some of those things from its less succesful predecessors. It's not really a big deal.

And to add my personal point, I enjoyed WoW for nearly two years before they went in a direction that wasn't to my liking.

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
I'm not sure what qualifies you to be an "analyst", common sense doesn't appear to be among the requirements though.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
AnythingOutstanding said:
I'd love to see where you got that info.

As far as I know, the BioWare that made Dragon Age 2 is based in Edmenton. Where as this BioWare is based in Austin Texas.

Something tells me that you got this info straight out of your ass. :D
Yeah and is the Bioware studio in Austin somehow NOT owned by EA? Yeah, that's what I thought . .

Regardless of where the actual studios are located it doesn't change the direction that Bioware has taken as a company. Reusing the same dungeon for the entire game didn't happen because it was made in one part of the world or another it happened because of laziness and a lack of standards. That would of never happened back in the days of KOTOR before Bioware was just another EA drone.

My point is that Bioware that made all those really good games many moons ago is no longer around. It has been replaced by just another EA drone with a shiny Bioware name tag. Everything that Bioware has done lately reeks of EA meddling and this upcoming MMO will be no different.

CM156 said:
Not to come off as a jackass, but didn't Obsidain make KotOR 2? Otherwise, I agree with this.
Heh, ya learn something new everyday lol

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
Oh, here's something. You know that WoW thing? Turns out it's just an Everquest clone. Oh wait, that in turn was just a UO clone. So I guess WoW is the clone of a clone, which makes ToR the clone of a cloned clone. Shocking, I know...
With all due respect Ultima Online and Everquest had nothing in common except being fantasy based. Everquest is based off text based DIKUmud. Ultima Online had very different goals as gear wasn't the driving factor.

Ultima Online was about training dragons for PKing everyone while naked and taking all their stuff.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Given that is is an analyst of a financial advisory company speaking, I'm not sure he's talking in terms of game-elements, but rather, market segments, trying to answer the basic question : Is this MMO going to clash with WoW in terms of subscriber-base?
The answer is, for a MMO, going to be "Yes" a lot of the time. Not many people will play 2 MMOs, and a lot of people have already invested a lot of time with WoW.

From a business point of view, going up against WoW doesn't have a good track record, but I hope that this can get enough people playing to work out.

I'll be waiting for Guild Wars 2 before getting back into MMOs, but I'm still tempted to give TOR a trial.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Lacsapix said:
every MMO is like WoW in some ways
Not quiet true.
WoW cloned Everquest etc. very successfully. After that followed a heap of WoW clones because - guess what - other companies wanted a successfull MMO as well, and creating an MMO isn't a cheap endeavour. What Developers forget is that their games to be a viable alternative to WoW - because anyone who likes playing WoW isn't likely to change to another subscription based MMO.

Thats the main reason that WAR didn't do too well - it was too similar to WoW.

However, there are several great MMOs that distinguished themselfs in NOT following WoW:
Guild wars, which isn't an MMORPG per se according to ArenaNet.
DDO, applying classic D&D rules and a highly challenging questsystem.
EvE online, Sandbox in space with a unique skillsystem.
etc.

Recent changes to WoW have cost them quite a few subscribers - and if this trend should continue, might lead to WoW shutting down in the comming years.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Having only watched a few videos of TOR it did look like "WoW in SPACE" to me, but the videos I saw where only basic run-through's of quests.

Even the one video I saw with the dialog tree's didn't look like it added anything new. I am sure that had the player picked different dialogs they could of ended up on a completely different quest. It's just hard to show the major world changes in 5-10 min videos.

I do not believe TOR will light the world on fire, but I give it the chance to impress. I will just have to wait till beta.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Godamnit people.

MMO is not WoW. WoW is MMO. Not, MMO is WoW. And TOR looks exactly like WoW with different skins. Dont defend TOR by stating that all MMOs are like WoW. Because MMO is not WoW.

And NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO before anyone starts. All FPS are not the same because they have people shooting at eachother.

When I look at the TOR and think "hmm. that looks kinda like wow" Bioware should respond "But on this game, we have [insert lazy bioware choice-wheel]" on which I respond "thats horrible! I spit on your choice-wheel!" and leave that crap to the fanboys that are trying to stab me for I do not know the geniousness of the choice-wheel that spins around and spins around. Where will it stop? Where will it stop? Nobody knows. Nobody knows. For that is the wheel of choice. It never lands where you expect it to.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
tehroc said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Oh, here's something. You know that WoW thing? Turns out it's just an Everquest clone. Oh wait, that in turn was just a UO clone. So I guess WoW is the clone of a clone, which makes ToR the clone of a cloned clone. Shocking, I know...
With all due respect Ultima Online and Everquest had nothing in common except being fantasy based. Everquest is based off text based DIKUmud. Ultima Online had very different goals as gear wasn't the driving factor.

Ultima Online was about training dragons for PKing everyone while naked and taking all their stuff.
True dat, although that hasn't stopped people from making the fallacious claim that they are nothing but clones, as they are all MMOs with vaguely similar settings.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Zac Smith said:
Of course its going to be similar to WoW, WoW have the MMO formula that works. It seems if another MMO comes along and tries to do stuff different, half the people complain its unfamiliar, if its similar, the other half will say its a clone. There's just no pleasing everyone
what he said...

tired of people calling every other MMO coming out a WoW clone.. i do play WoW... but MAN there's alot of difference between MMO's :p

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
everything is a wow clone these days. how about we just accept that and stop reviewing games by saying wow clone and look at other aspects of the game

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
I wouldn't call it a World of Warcraft clone from what I've seen. I would call it pretty shitty, though :p