Analyst: Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-to-1

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
We're working off of different data sets... AFAIK Cell does 290GFLOPS in SP, while the i7 6-cores do around 100.

Optimisation means a lot, especially if done for AMD CPUs. Most of today's games are programmed for multi core setups of 2 or 4 physical cores, not using 8 cores even if they can get them.

Yes, I'm a time traveler from 2004 and was born on communist Uranus. What gave it away?

mitchell271 said:
Matthi205 said:
Is... is that a Misfile avatar? I've never met anyone else that reads it!
Indeed it is. Believe it or not, the moment I put this avatar in place, I got a PM by another guy that reads Misfile. It's a strange comic, you always think you're the only one that reads it :D (I was thinking that, too).
mitchell271 said:
OT: So the Xbone, a US-centred product, will sell better than the PS4, an internationally minded product, based on US preorders. Yeah, and I've suddenly become a unicorn that farts meringue droplets.
There are enough XBOne fans. But yes, the chance that the PS4 will outsell the XBOne worldwide is at 95% now.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Matthi205 said:
There are enough XBOne fans. But yes, the chance that the PS4 will outsell the XBOne worldwide is at 95% now.
They'd have to do something really impressive or Sony would have to do something REALLY bad if my numbers are accurate (as accurate as Amazon is, is pretty darn accurate). You don't easily overcome a 5:1+ gap without something huge happening.

The only real question is how big that gap will be two years from now.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Lightknight said:
*Snip for brevity
See I looked at the other study and realized that is some rather hard to confirm data, as it said it was random. If they are directly linked to the replacement process where are the exact numbers?

I do not know if I trust data from a company that has a direct business link to the data line they are working with, anymore than an internet poll.... If you look at the last link I dumped in, it brings up a interesting point. If the number was wrong why did Microsoft not refute this count? Maybe it was 37% and that is just not that stellar either.

I find 24% VERY hard to swallow because I bought 3 xbox 360 systems.... 2 have failed, one has not, the latest one is a S. I purchased one in the Midwest and one in the Deep South(usa), so different shipments and years apart. I know at least a 9 people who have had at least 2 systems as well,and if you ask on Xbox Live or any other gamer I have met they have similar stories. Again from different areas of the USA. So either I only know people with the worst luck or 1 out of every 2 (approximately) systems failed....... Like you said that is just way to damn many.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
This article is widely speculative pointless nonsense.

IF microsoft can manufacture 3 times more xbones then ps4.
They SHOULD be able to ship them all to stores.
They MIGHT sell them even at a $100 more.
IF people aren't set on a particular console.
IF Sony sells all their units out.
IF demand for newly launched untested consoles with limited numbers of games really sell that well.

Well I think its a sure thing I should go invest in M$.

On the other hand I really do hope the consoles are successful enough sales winner comes down to who flat out made more units. It would be a good start to the new console gen and hopefully a sign that the console game business is still strong.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
These analyst are like weathermen. They don't have to be right, but they can be close. That being said nothing is 100% despite what they say. The market like mother nature can be random and fickle.Just when you think you know which way the wind is blowing it changes on you. Wait and see is more reliable in either situation, but take an umbrella just in case.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Ishigami said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
If the PS4 supply is low and Xbone supply is high, that means people are buying the PS4 right?
You seem to have a skewed grasp of what supply and demand is?
I understand perfectly well the situation here, but only after rereading the article, I must admit I was half asleep when I wrote my comment.

I was thinking of supply low/high as in what they have left, rather than what they currently have ready. My mistake.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
-snip-

First off, that is false. I seen way too many varying stats for cell to even say its more powerful than an I7. Hell, there aren't even any single precision stats for an I7. Secondly, single precision is useless, its all about double precision now.

So no, cell is not this powerful thing anymore. If it was so good, you have to ask why they don't just slap the cell right into the PS4. Because if what you said was true, Sony downgraded the Ps4 for no reason.
Could you link me those benchmarks? Not that I doubt you, I'd just like to see them and evaluate them for myself.

Sony went x86-64 for the PS4 because it's way easier to code for than Cell (which was a GPU/CPU POWER based hybrid performing the role of the CPU). Also, it's easier to port from and for.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Ultratwinkie said:
Matthi205 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
-snip-

First off, that is false. I seen way too many varying stats for cell to even say its more powerful than an I7. Hell, there aren't even any single precision stats for an I7. Secondly, single precision is useless, its all about double precision now.

So no, cell is not this powerful thing anymore. If it was so good, you have to ask why they don't just slap the cell right into the PS4. Because if what you said was true, Sony downgraded the Ps4 for no reason.
Could you link me those benchmarks? Not that I doubt you, I'd just like to see them and evaluate them for myself.

Sony went x86-64 for the PS4 because it's way easier to code for than Cell (which was a GPU/CPU POWER based hybrid performing the role of the CPU). Also, it's easier to port from and for.
The site that had them disappeared. I found a forum talking about the results, but the site itself is gone. Hell, it was a huge headache to find anything that wasn't archived and even more to find actual numbers that didn't conflict with what everyone else claaims. I can't find single precision for the I7 no matter how much I search.

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2214327.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262959-28-what-processor-playstation
http://www.ps3news.com/PlayStation-3/rumor-sony-chooses-ibm-power7-cpu-for-playstation-4-in-2012/

Past that, its old archives of trolls saying how cell can run multiple instances of crysis at max using only 1% of the processor and people laughing at them. It seems the only thing people post single and double precision is graphics cards.
Okay, thank you. Also, when it comes to FLOPs, didn't Cell have only one FPU that resided in the main core? (I might be wrong on this one, but that might be why the DP performance is so low).

The POWER7 rumor thing was particularly interesting to me, since AFAIK a POWER7 delivers a lot more performance than any x86 CPU can ever hope for, at similar clock rates and same # of cores.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Yup as I said above, it will most likely be stupid parents that make this thing work for Microsoft.

Many tend to force their kids to get games, toys, or whatever that is available because they see it as some kind of waste of time to come back and get what their kids actually want. I see it almost every time I go to a game store or walk by the electronic or toy section in Wal-Mart.
I saw it in action every Christmas (other times too, but Christmas was the obvious big time) for years when I worked at Wal-Mart. I'm not even sure the 100 dollar difference will matter compared to the convenience of "this is here."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Matthi205 said:
AMD Jaguar isn't high-end, but it's still around an i5-3xxx performance-wise, and gives more performance if the games get optimised for the large number of integer cores.
Erm what? Pigs can fly too? Maybe if you consider 16 cores vs 4 cores as in 4 on 1 they could perform similary. now go try coding for 16 cores to perform simultaneously. Yeah....
AMD Still has no answer to the "i" architecture and attempts to solve the problem by adding more cores.

Matthi205 said:
For console games, this DOES NOT MATTER. Since portability isn't an issue, with console games you can code straight to the hardware and can "cheat" on effects.
If you wanted these consoles because they're cheap gaming-capable HTPCs and were to install a conventional OS on them, like Linux or Windows, the PS4 would be the better choice.
That was true for current gen. Not so for next gen. As you know, XboxOne will be runing windows 8, same one they want you to have on PC. granted, it is a mobile phone OS and not a real OS, but its not really coding striaght into hardware anymore. sure standartized hardware will allow a lot more shortcuts, but its not going to perform like a current high end PC, let alone what we are going to see next year (when the consoles will be used).
Im not certain what OS ps4 will run, probably costum consoles OS like they always did though.

Lightknight said:
I already bought my next game system..... 6 months ago.... And it still has specs that CRUSH the Xbone.
A computer I assume? It may not be true if you're comparing specs directly due to effeciencies that standard hardware provides, seeing as the past five/six years saw both consoles being able to play games that pcs four times as powerful have to play on minimum specs (because the software was customized for the console). But if you got a monster pc like I did then it may not matter. I doubt you paid $500 for it, but I'm sure it's what you want.
Not entirely true. The same games that PCs had hard time runing versus consoles was because:
1. PCs dont downsample textures. consoles do.
2. PCs run at higher framerates.
3. PCs run on much higher resolution (seriusoly, Xbox360 couldnt do a real 720p without doing an artificial streching).
All these features lead to much mroe resources required. Now the new consoels supposedly got rid of 1 and 3 problem. the framerate is still promised to be low from what little we know. and the PCs that could run previuso gen games iwl lbe able to run next gen ones.....
True there is software slowing donw it on PC, but that is often due to fault of shoddy ports than anything else. i can code a game that runs at 1000 fps on console and only at 10 fps at PC because i create a loop somewhere. does not mean console is more pwoerful, its just that i suck at coding for PC.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008

Even without the whole E3 flop an extra $100 in this slow economy isn't anything to be flippant about.

The limited region release, mandatory Kinect and lack of features outside the US are also counts against it.

Even if all those didn't scare off customers, Sony burned itself before by under-stocking the PS3 so seeing them pull a repeat with their main opponent repeatedly shooting itself in the foot would be beyond moronic.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
You've put me in an awkward position of defending the failure rate of a company that was more than double its competitors. Almost 25% is awful. It just isn't 50%. I had one fail on me as well. So I don't want to defend them, I'm just correcting an error.

slash2x said:
See I looked at the other study and realized that is some rather hard to confirm data, as it said it was random. If they are directly linked to the replacement process where are the exact numbers?
Exact numbers? You have the total sample size (2,500 360s) and the failure rate (23.7%). That's all you need for exact numbers. Their numbers are even down to the failure type (I've linked their study below). For example, without the RROD the failure rate was around 11.7% and the RROD itself caused 12% of all 360 consoles to fail. If you want the number you just figure out what X% of 2,500 is. For example, out of 2,500 machines, 592.5 failed (.237*2500 is 23.7% of 2500. The 23.7 was likely rounded up or down which accounts for why half a machine would fail. The actual number could be either 592 or 593 if rounding was used and there were not 1/2 broken machines).

If you want a more detailed data, read their study: http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf

Randomization is what makes studies accurate. If you randomize the samples correctly and include enough total samples, you have legitimate results that relate to the overall set that the samples are subsets of. Please understand that I loved statistics in college and took as many courses as I could. So don't feel bad if you don't know why randomization is so important or exactly what it is as your response seems to indicate. Most people do not know. Major parts of my coursework were just related to why well-known studies weren't set up properly and lack of randomization or failing to establish a sample set that encompasses the entire group are the absolute most common errors to make.

Example: If you want to find out how common it is for smokers to get lung cancer, you don't get your sample space from a hospital list of smokers who were admitted for smoking related illnesses. You have to try and get your samples from overall smoker numbers and not just ones admitted to hospitals. Selecting only smokers that have had to visit a hospital because of smoking ruins the sample set and only accounts for how likely a smoker is to have lung cancer IF they're admitted for a smoking related illness. Next, if you select the subsets of that set by some actual criteria instead of randomly, then you'd skewing the results in a different way. For example, if you only select women from the study because you (hypothetical/ambigious "you", not you as in Slash2x) are a female in college and are afraid of big burly male smokers, the results would not be random and would no longer necessarily have anything to do with smokers in general. A study starting off to establish the rate of smokers getting lung cancer would now only relate to female smokers who have visited a hospital for smoke related illnesses and their odds of the illness being lung cancer.

That's all random means. Of all the units they processed, they randomly selected 2,500 units instead of picking and choosing which machines they were going to evaluate. That is the only honest way to find out the average rate of failure if you aren't going to include the entire group which would be in the millions. Thanks to our understanding Central Limit Theorum and good ol' Gaussian Distribution (Normal Distribution or more commonly but incorrectly known as a bell curve), you don't have to do math on every single member of the whole set, you just need a sufficiently large sample size. Some people feel that 30 is enough to generally get normal distributions but larger numbers are certainly more likely to be accurate. 2,500 randomly selected samples from the overall distribution? That's firmly in the realm of a valid sample size.

Now then, the Game Informer Study is not strictly valid for a number of reasons:

Overall Sample Set sampled does not match all 360 console owners:
1. Respondants to the survey were not necessarily console owners. Surely you're aware of the console wars we've been in and you may recognize the likelihood that a ps3 or Wii owner would want to give a negative result for a system that is not their own.
2. Respondants to the survey were readers of Game Informer and not necessarily an average sampling population.
3. Respondants may have been multiple owners of the same console (for example, a dorm room may have 12 owners) which results in duplication of the samples.

Randomization of samples:
1. The respondants who had broken 360's may have been more likely to respond than users who had not had an issue.
2. Had someone been looking for 360 RROD information at the time because their system just broke, they would have found this survey further increasing the liklihood that the samples were not random.
3. The internet, being what it is, may have had a rallying of people with the problem in which other message boards and friends reached out to people they knew (or did not know) were having the problem to encourage them to enter it. People who the information was relevant to would have paid more attention, people who had not a problem may have ignored the information.

In order for studies like this to be random, the testers need to control who they get answers from. There is a myriad of issues that easily arise from this.

Criticisms I can levy at Square Trade:

Overall Sample Set sampled does not match all 360 consoles:
1. This only accounted for system failure within the first two years of ownership. In 2009, there had been 3-4 years total. However, since the Jasper Chipset released in 2008 largely abated the RROD, including additional years should only bring the average down, not up.
2. This only includes malfunctions reported to them. This is sidestepped by random sampling of all consoles they cover.
3. The numbers appear to start in 2007. Fortunately, 2007 was still with the original chip set and failure rate but I'd like to have had the numbers go back the year prior. So we have enough of a baseline before the falcon chipset to know that that chipset only made the problem worse.

Randomization:
1. Perfect. They simply used a basic calculator function to randomize the numbers reviewed. Can't do better than that.

These guys knew what they're doing. They even showed results based on the Falcon chipset that spiked tremendously in 2008 because that chipset did even worse than the original.

I do not know if I trust data from a company that has a direct business link to the data line they are working with, anymore than an internet poll.... If you look at the last link I dumped in, it brings up a interesting point. If the number was wrong why did Microsoft not refute this count? Maybe it was 37% and that is just not that stellar either.
Two answers here:

1. Square Trade is not Microsoft. They are directly impacted when more people get a system repaired under their warranty. They did this study because this directly relates to the profitability of maintaining warranties for the 360. They do this for other products they manage as well. Think about it, if they supported the ps3, then 9 out of 10 warranties never got cashed in. That's whatever the price paid for the warranties of the 10 (all ten paid for the warranty) accounting for their profit and to pay for the 10% that failed. However, with the 360, 1 out of every 4 took a hit. That makes it a lot harder to profit unless the warranty costs more than 1/4 the average cost of repairing one. If there is any company that would have the data and the motivation to report correctly on this, it'd be Square Trade. There's no one else. They're the only one that knows which machines they're covering with a warranty AND which of those machines get sent in. There is no other resource that has this information. A repair center would be skewed to the side of broken as they only get sent broken units and a retail store would only know how many units they sold.

Additionally, and this is important, Square Trade has investors and these results directly impact the company's performance. Had they lied, they would be breaking the law by misleading investors. We're talking huge fines and jailtime just to say 24.7% in a way that does not benefit them at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SquareTrade

It would be different if the company was some small privately owned customer. But this is a HUGE multi-national firm who has been releasing this data on other products for some time now: http://www.squaretrade.com/warranty-buyer-knowledge-base

Keep in mind, Square Trade would benefit if users bought ps3's or Wii's instead of 360's because their profit margins were higher. So it would even be advantageous for the 360 numbers to be 50% or higher to discourage shoppers from buying the 360 when they're in the market for a console.

2. Microsoft's PR department likely thought it would be best if they did not say anything in this situation. It was a good move since their numbers were already more than double that of the direct competitor. Also, you don't know that they didn't discredit the number. Square Trade releasing the numbers they found may have been something Microsoft allowed them to release to the public that Square Trade would otherwise have not been allowed to make public knowledge.

Your study is from August 2009. My study is from September 2009. HIGHLY unlikely that the two are unrelated. At least, that's when the articles were posted. Microsoft's PR department likely thought the information would be better revealed by a legitimate company who would not benefit from fixing the numbers and who would have the numbers already on-hand. In fact, a company that would be significantly harmed by lying. That company is Square Trade.

I find 24% VERY hard to swallow because I bought 3 xbox 360 systems.... 2 have failed, one has not, the latest one is a S. I purchased one in the Midwest and one in the Deep South(usa), so different shipments and years apart. I know at least a 9 people who have had at least 2 systems as well,and if you ask on Xbox Live or any other gamer I have met they have similar stories. Again from different areas of the USA. So either I only know people with the worst luck or 1 out of every 2 (approximately) systems failed....... Like you said that is just way to damn many.
Your personal experience does not an average make. I could treat your statement here like a study and point out signficant flaws beyond your very small sample size. For example, since you've been frustrated with your 360's failure rate, are you more likely to discuss the topic with people who have had the same issue? Also, would people without the problem necessarily offer up the information that their's hasn't presented any problem? All you're acknowledging is that you know people who have had the problem, not that you have any accurate gauge of how many people don't have the problem which would be necessary to come to any kind of conclusion. Also, I do not know if your own 360 use is significantly more than the average user. Seeing as you bought 3 360's and are on a gaming website, that is not an unlikely conclusion. I will say that the study does acknowledge that they fail to account for sales by region in their study when considering their results. So we don't know if one region fared worse than others.

But there is only a handful of companies that know how many units are covered by a warranty and how many have to cash the warranty in.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
StewShearer said:
Some in the game industry are already predicting that current pre-orders will be twice what the current console generation achieved at its own launch.
If this actually happens, I hope people understand this is a 'PS3 launch' scenario. As in hardly anyone wants the damn things and EVERYONE is buying them to sell them at a profit on ebay. With all the talk of people happy to keep this gen going and all the PR disasters between Microsoft and Sony (mostly Microsoft) AND a really poor launch lineup for both, I can't imagine either of these consoles doing very well their first year. If one did, it would be the PS4 just because of all the positive buzz vs. the negative Microsoft got. It doesn't matter if there are more Xbox Ones, they'll just sit on store shelves. It happens all the time.

PN8

May 14, 2013
I'm not sure if I believe that Microsoft has a better supply chain. Maybe in the US but outside of the US... I would say no. Just as an example in my country, Xbox 360 has only started selling officially some 2-3 years ago but Playstation 3 was always there. Mind you, we didn't get the original Xbox or any Nintendo console before Wii (sans famiclones) but Playstation was always there.
Even with that Xbox 360 sold well because it was cheap and had good games. Overall I don't think this will affect the sales that much. I mean compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is the worst of all three when it comes to being available worldwide but they have managed to sell 100 million with Wii.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
PN8 said:
EDIT: Why did this just got double posted? I don't know, new here!
Don't worry about it mate, it happens all the time.

Just blame [user]Kross[/user]

Also: Welcome to the Escapist!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Sonic Doctor said:
then at that point about a third of those parents are probably going to tell their kid to just get an Xbox One, because a game console is a game console.

It is sad, but true.
Well if that's the logic they use, why wouldn't they get a Wii U? It's cheaper than the xbone, and more child friendly.
Already brought this up in another comment grouping with another person in this thread, but I'll say it again.

My logic concerning parental stupidity concerning gaming shows that they probably already got a Wii awhile back and don't think the Wii U is a new system just a one of those silly side-grades that Microsoft or Sony does where they make a new looking version of the same system.
The parent won't get the Wii U, even if the kid settles for it and knows what it is, because:

A.) The parent thinks the Wii U is still a normal but rebranded Wii with an optional game tablet thing, so it really isn't new.
B.) The parent won't listen to the kid that says the Wii U is different, because they don't want to look like they don't know technology as well as their child(believe me, I've seen it. My own parents did it a few times).

I don't remember where I saw the article, but I remember reading that awhile after the Wii U came out, that the reason it didn't do so well is because the large casual base of people that bought the Wii(i.e. parents for their younger kids, and older people for their grand-kids and to exercise with that "crazy sports game"), thought that there was no reason to get a Wii U because they got a Wii a few years ago. They don't get that new and better upgraded consoles come out every few years or so. Really all the re-releases of the same console that looks different has probably messed with the system of recognizing a new console, when it comes to older people, parents.

So even with the Wii U being cheaper, they won't get it because they think it is just a side-graded Wii, because they don't know any better.