Analyst: Xbox One Could Outship PS4 3-to-1

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Microsoft could have a home teleportation service, it still wouldn't matter if no one gives a shit.
Never underestimate the laziness of the American consumer. If the PS4 is sold out and the Bone is there, I'm betting a lot of Americans will buy the Bone for the extra hundred. And let's face it, who else is going to buy the Bone?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHHHAHAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!HhaahahahahhhaahahHHAAA...HAHAHhahhaaa.hahahahaaaa.....

Colin I'm going to have to ask you to pack up your stuff, clean out your desk and present your resignation within the day. When we hired you we made it clear that this is not a comedy show. We take our work very seriously here. Now it was a good laugh I will admit that but I can also not let things like this slip by every time.

We value the work you have done and your time at the company. We will be sure to visit you at whatever comedy club you end up with. I am sure you can make your dream come true!

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Microsoft could have a home teleportation service, it still wouldn't matter if no one gives a shit.
In one big instance, people that don't give a shit about Microsoft won't matter.

Considering the amount of really stupid parents around, I'm betting that having one in stock while the other isn't will make some difference for whichever company has more around.

I can't even count how many times(because it has been so many) I've heard parents, at game stores or toy stores, tell their kids, "You better pick something that is available right now and get it now, because we are not coming back to this store for a long while". Then the kid usually caves and gets something they don't really want, because they aren't in control and don't know when their stupid parents are actually coming back to the store if at all.

I've even seen some smart kids that actually stood their ground and said that they would wait because they wanted the certain game/item and there was no reason to get something else, but their parents get all huffy and grab something else and shove it in the cart or the kid's hand and tell them that it is what they will get, "Because, it doesn't matter since they are all the same, a toy is a toy, a game is a game." It is at that point that I don't blame a kid for crying and making a scene, because the parent is obviously being a moron, and of course when that happens the parents usually make a stupid comment like that their kid is just being a brat.

So I won't be surprised when kids that really don't have the ability to go around pre-ordering things, come into stores with their parents to get the PS4, but it ends up being out of stock, then at that point about a third of those parents are probably going to tell their kid to just get an Xbox One, because a game console is a game console.

It is sad, but true.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Genocidicles said:
Never underestimate the laziness of the American consumer. If the PS4 is sold out and the Bone is there, I'm betting a lot of Americans will buy the Bone for the extra hundred. And let's face it, who else is going to buy the Bone?
Yup as I said above, it will most likely be stupid parents that make this thing work for Microsoft.

Many tend to force their kids to get games, toys, or whatever that is available because they see it as some kind of waste of time to come back and get what their kids actually want. I see it almost every time I go to a game store or walk by the electronic or toy section in Wal-Mart.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
With all the free section 8 housing plus free utilities, plus free food from "stamp" cards now, plus free healthcare and surgeries this Jan 1st, plus free medicaid, plus free internet, plus free Obama smartphones. I believe the maggots of the world will keep buying xboxs and all it's accessories and sit at home stealing food out of their colleagues bellies who work hard for it.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Considering the PS4 has higher cap limits than the Xbone, and that while I know plenty of people getting a PS4 (hell, even my little brother is shelling out the money and he's a dedicated Nintendo fan) I don't know anyone ordering the Xbone, I have no clue what this analyst thinks he's saying.

The Xbone is more expensive, less popular, and all current evidence suggests that Sony has more product to ship than Microsoft.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Did everyone conveniently forget the Red Ring of Death? I'm not going anywhere near an MS console in the first 6 - 12 months while all the hardware issues get worked out.

IshimaruHayato

Jun 21, 2013
Genocidicles said:

Well that teleportation service would need to always be connect to the internet and kinect for it to work

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Genocidicles said:
So I won't be surprised when kids that really don't have the ability to go around pre-ordering things, come into stores with their parents to get the PS4, but it ends up being out of stock, then at that point about a third of those parents are probably going to tell their kid to just get an Xbox One, because a game console is a game console.

It is sad, but true.
you're forgetting one key element, the WiiU. If as you say a third will just grab something then the much cheeper console with more games would win out over the more expensive one with fewer games. Thus your scenario only holds up after the PS4 & WiiU sell out.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
personally i am surprised by this seeing as how MS took some awful PR decisions, and i personally plan on jumping onto the pc...

this just shows that there is a huge fanatic fan base of the Xbox, which apparently i am not fanatic enough to stay in

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
DRTJR said:
Sonic Doctor said:
you're forgetting one key element, the WiiU. If as you say a third will just grab something then the much cheeper console with more games would win out over the more expensive one with fewer games. Thus your scenario only holds up after the PS4 & WiiU sell out.
Aaahh, but you are forgetting that a ton of families have a Wii, and many of those parents are too stupid to see that the Wii U is a new console and not just some kind of similar side version of the Wii. The kid will settle for the Wii U, but then the parent will get the Xbox One instead because they will say, "But Timmy, we already have a Wii at home, so the Xbox One is the only choice." Then said parents will not hear another word out of their kid's mouth because they don't want too seem like they don't know what they are talking about.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
DRTJR said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Aaahh, but you are forgetting that a ton of families have a Wii, and many of those parents are too stupid to see that the Wii U is a new console and not just some kind of similar side version of the Wii. The kid will settle for the Wii U, but then the parent will get the Xbox One instead because they will say, "But Timmy, we already have a Wii at home, so the Xbox One is the only choice." Then said parents will not hear another word out of their kid's mouth because they don't want too seem like they don't know what they are talking about.
Ah but with the bad Economy the substualy cheeper WiiU will apeel to those brain dead morons because it's $200+ less than the Xbone which they can watch a few pay per view wrestling matches with.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
It might SOUND like a good thing for Microsoft, but there are numerous holes in their logic.

1) The xbone is only shipping to 21 countries, therefore if each company has manufactured the same amount of consoles, Microsofts narrower audience means that each location is going to have more consoles each (maybe). But, because of the narrower audience, Microsoft is going to lose a sizable market chunk to the PS4 because it's not being sold in so many places.

2) Units shipped means diddly squat, it's the units sold that matter, they could ship heaps of units to somewhere, but if they don't sell, then what's the point?

3) With the PR nightmares they've had, they've lost quite a proportion of their fanbase.

4) There is a $50 price tag difference in Australia ($549 for the PS4 and $599 for the Xbone), parents and other consumers who are more budget concious are more likely to go for the cheaper console, the PS4

5) Some of the features touted for the Xbone are US exclusive

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It would have to sell more than the ps4 for us to ever know. As is, the ps4 is outselling the XBO by what could be over 5:1.

So this is like saying that a shit sandwich company is able to ship more sandwiches with shit in them than a company that makes turkey sandwiches. The response being, ok... but more people are going to buy the turkey sandwich so why does that matter?

That is only a functionally working analogy. The XBO is completely a legitimate console that will likely be a lot of fun. They only did extremely anti-consumer things that made them look like a shit sandwich company but their meat was actually also turkey... to continue the analogy.

But here is are the actual ratios so far:

Amazon's top 100 best sellers of the year so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_nav_b_0_b

1. The PS4 launch day version is #3. The XBO day one version is #6. Both have sold out. But this means that Sony has more day one orders than XBO does just to start.

2. The ps4 standard edition is #43. The XBO standard edition is not even on the list.

3. All four PS4 bundle editions (Watch Dogs, Killzone, Knack, and Battlefield 4) have sold out and only recently got more bundles available. The Watch Dogs bundle is currently #85 and at least two of the other bundles had been on the list until recently so they had comparable numbers (don't know about the knack bundle numbers).

If even the bundles are outselling the XBO standard edition, I don't think Microsoft needs to worry about how great their distribution chain is. Every single one of those bundles right now count as 1 more time over the XBO that the ps4 is selling. We're looking at at the very least a 4-1 ratio in Sony's favor with the launch day edition alone outselling the XBO version. With the Standard edition so high and the knack bundle also sold out, we could be talking 6:1 or even higher. That's a shocking result.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames

That's the best sellers every hour. Numbers are as follows:

1. PS4 Standard: #7 best seller this past hour.
2. PS4 Watch Dogs Bundle: #18
3. PS4 Battlefield 4 bundle: #34
4. XBO Standard Edition: #52
5. PS4 Killzone 4 bundle: #53

So it doesn't look like there's any relief for them either, with even the third least popular PS4 bundle pacing at the standard XBO version and no XBO bundles that I know of (at least, none that are selling well). Best course of action for XBO may be to price drop and take a hit now to get more customers later. But that's highly unlikely and would be seen as desperate.

A positive note for them, however, is in the most wished for in video games:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/most-wished-for/videogames

PS4 standard is still #1 and at least one bundle is on the list. But at least the XBO standard edition is finally on the first page after such a long time. The XBO launch edition (which has been sold out for some time) is finally dropping now that people are aware of the standard edition. So, interest is there, it's just MUCH smaller than Sony's. Which is funny because Sony was the underdog last time around. Wished for ps4 versions of multiplayer games are vastly outperforming XBO versions and the ps4 controllers are tracking far higher than XBO ones. So Microsoft has to do something fast.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Denamic said:
How does a logistics advantage carry anything past the first few weeks? Both Sony and Microsoft will have a metric fuckton of preorders to fill, and it's obvious that the one with better supply lines will ship more units in a given period of time. Once the launch weeks are over, none of that matters any more.
That's the important thing. I mean the 360 started out with a 5 million sales lead over the PS3 due to launch timings and the PS3 still eventually caught up and overtook it.

If both consoles are popular enough to have supply problems for a couple of months after launch though, it will give the One some of the momentum back that it had lost in the pre-release PR. This probably puts them on a more level footing than anything else

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Mister Chippy said:
Considering the PS4 has higher cap limits than the Xbone, and that while I know plenty of people getting a PS4 (hell, even my little brother is shelling out the money and he's a dedicated Nintendo fan) I don't know anyone ordering the Xbone, I have no clue what this analyst thinks he's saying.

The Xbone is more expensive, less popular, and all current evidence suggests that Sony has more product to ship than Microsoft.
You may not know anyone that is getting an Xbox One, but that doesn't mean they won't sell like hot cakes, which they are in my area.

I happened to be in a GameStop while a friend was paying off a game pre-order, and I was curious, so I asked the service guy how both PS4 and Xbox One were doing on pre-orders. He told me that they weren't taking any more pre-orders at the moment, because they had already run over the pre-order limit on both with the amount they were guaranteed to have on launch.

If that is the case with most GameStops, then even with Microsoft's screw-ups, they are still neck and neck with Sony.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Skops said:
This just in: American product sells better in America

"shocking" said no one.
Oh, so that's why Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc. are doing so much better than Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. ?

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Sonic Doctor said:
Mister Chippy said:

You may not know anyone that is getting an Xbox One, but that doesn't mean they won't sell like hot cakes, which they are in my area.

I happened to be in a GameStop while a friend was paying off a game pre-order, and I was curious, so I asked the service guy how both PS4 and Xbox One were doing on pre-orders. He told me that they weren't taking any more pre-orders at the moment, because they had already run over the pre-order limit on both with the amount they were guaranteed to have on launch.

If that is the case with most GameStops, then even with Microsoft's screw-ups, they are still neck and neck with Sony.
Did you bother to ask how many preorders they were allowed to take for each system? Because I did.

Last time I checked Gamestop had over five times more preorders available for the PS4 than they did for the Xbone. So even though they're both sold out of preorders, there are still way more PS4s being sold. This may have changed, but I doubt by much.