"And you call yourself a gamer?!"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Tsaba said:
Torrasque said:
You don't like Baseball? And you call yourself an American?
..... what? Fuck baseball, seriously, it's a boring ass sport to watch.

OT: You don't play Call of Duty and you call yourself a gamer?

I have been called out on that one, there was an interesting conversation that followed.
lol, I meant it as an example, I personally can't stand baseball to watch.
I think CoD is more of a "And you call yourself an FPS gamer?" sort of thing, its not essential like Halo and Zelda, but thats just my opinion.
Should someone that calls themselves a gamer play at least one CoD in their lifetime? Probably.
Should they play BlOps? Since I believe Blops is terrible, Ima have to go with no.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Torrasque said:
drbarno said:
you don't play games? And you call yourself a gamer?
Thats going a wee bit too far, and is like saying "You don't have Carbon in your body? And you call yourself a human?"
I think it works.

A lot of people are trying to jump on the gamer bandwagon by wearing Mario T-shirts and talking about how the cake is a lie, but they aren't actually interested in playing any games.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
ZamielTheHunter said:
Torrasque said:
Thats like kids these days that say they are Pokemon fans, but have only played Gen 3+.
Or worse yet, have only played Black and White >.>
Hey now, Black and White are excellent examples of pokemon games and it's likely that if you played them you'd be a fan of the others upon playing them. In fact Black and White make significant improvements on some of the other games in the series.

OT: I agree with those who have recieved hate for not playing CoD or BlOps. People seem to irrationally believe that these are the only games worth playing to be released in the past year.

Also, you don't like Portal and you call yourself a gamer?
Oh don't get me wrong, I think every new Pokemon game is the previous one +1, and I love Black and White. Can't wait for Gray :D
I just hate people that like 1 small facet of something, the pinnacle of that something, and say they like everything of that something.
Like "I like fast cars", and say they like all cars.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
If you haven't played Bioshock and you're over the age of 16. I would usually get mad, but instead I'll just ask you nicely. Would you kindly go play Bioshock?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Squishfield said:
Torrasque said:
Squishfield said:
I had to explain what a magic bar was to someone doing a degree in video game development.

No joke.
=|
That is seriously disappointing.
Its like explaining what "hp" stands for.
I gave every explanation I could, MP, Mana, Magic, that blue/green bar under your health and he just didn't know what it was.

Turns out he only really played FPS games and anything set in space.
Tell him to play Wolfenstein? /shrug
Thats depressing that he only plays FPS games.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
Someone I knew: You don't play World Of Warcraft and you call yourself a gamer?

I tried WoW and I didn't like it, does that mean I'm not a gamer?

standokan

May 28, 2009
"You don't like the new Duke Nukem, and you call yourself a gamer?"

I'm paraphrasing slightly but that's basicly what my friend said, I litteraly facepalmed after he said it.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I only ever use that line when being sarcastic as everyone has their own opinion and no one should force theirs on someone else

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
"You don;t like apples?! ... and you called yourself a gaymer..."

Yeah, it was a terrible joke. I'll leave the internet now.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Fredrikorex said:
Someone I knew: You don't play World Of Warcraft and you call yourself a gamer?

I tried WoW and I didn't like it, does that mean I'm not a gamer?
Nah, just means MMOs and grinding are likely not your thing.
It depends how you got into it too.
If you were just given the game and played by yourself, its no surprise you didn't like it.
If you played with friends all the time and didn't like it, then its the game itself.

Most of the fun of playing WoW (for me at least) was playing with others.
Playing alone, even when I had music playing, got boring very fast.
Half the reason I quit was because most of the people I used to play with, quit =/

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Squishfield said:
Torrasque said:
Squishfield said:
I had to explain what a magic bar was to someone doing a degree in video game development.

No joke.
=|
That is seriously disappointing.
Its like explaining what "hp" stands for.
I gave every explanation I could, MP, Mana, Magic, that blue/green bar under your health and he just didn't know what it was.
Turns out he only really played FPS games and anything set in space.
I've dealt with that before

Magic Bar: it's your standard ammo number represented as a bar graph that applies to the amount of magic remaining instead of bullets remaining.

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
You don't like mmorpgs? Then you're not a real gamer!

Apparently, playing with myself makes me too casual in my gaming, and first person shooters with multiplayer don't count (what the guy really meant was "anyone who is female or has any hobbies aside from gaming : not a gamer").

salinv

Mar 17, 2010
Dan Steele said:
You dont play PC and you call yourself a gamer?

Not all PC gamers are like this fortunatly, only a minority of them are elitist pricks.
Sometimes I really hate the vocal majority and the bad precedent they set for the rest of us.. Both those for PC gamers and gamers as a whole. =/

OT: You haven't gone to a midnight release before? And you call yourself a gamer...

*sigh* >.<

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
You don't have every Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Genesis game on your PC?!?

And you call yourself a gamer...

Slightly off topic...
I know "gamers" (as in people who play games) tend to be more of the anti-conformist types but I find it funny that some of you rebel so righteously against the label "gamer". It must be the younger crowd who don't like belonging in something that they didn't feel they took part in creating... or more likely the casual gamer who plays games but is a total noob and secretly wishes he could be better like the real "gamers" but instead decides to rebel against the term!

I am a gamer, and have been since Christmas 1991. My uncle, he's gamed since the late 70s, he's a gamer. It's true, we label ourselves as such to try and be separate from the crowd. We chose to adopt video games not just as a hobby but as a way to live. I read about games, think about games when I am not playing or making games. If I am at work, I wish I was at home doing either of those things.

It's a funny thing though because I would have just as much respect for you if you called yourself a gamer and just played Farmville or Sims but you need to have the commitment. I would say if you spend more than an hour a day playing games, you are a gamer. That's only 7 hours a week which is very casual as far as hobbies are concerned.

Don't take offense to the term gamer. It's just a way to describe your interests quickly. Someone who models trains or builds miniatures are called Hobbyists. They don't wear it like a badge but they recognize the term. People who ride mountain bikes around actual mountains are Mountain Bikers. Someone who loves to take pictures is a Photographer. So why is it SOOOO offensive if you play games to be referred to as a Gamer?

"I don't like to be labeled.", "I don't fit the stereotype.", "Gamers are losers."

You're a loser! :D

As a society we are making an active attempt to stop stereotyping (being politically correct) but labeling is something that is necessary for communication to flow quickly. So I believe as long as you embrace labeling but forgo the stereotyping that goes with it, being labeled a gamer should be about as offensive as being labeled a Mountain Biker. If you really don't like the stereotype of gamer and it doesn't fit you, then embrace the title and change what gamer means! hahah, I didn't think I thought so strongly on this.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You've owned less than 8 consoles? And you call yourself a gamer?!?

Or repeat that one for handhelds.

For the record, I've owned an Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, Wii, and PS3. For handhelds GB, GBC, GBA, DS, DS lite, DSi, 3DS, PSP, and Pandora. =)

Deathlisk

Feb 5, 2011
Schadrach said:
You've owned less than 8 consoles? And you call yourself a gamer?!?

Or repeat that one for handhelds.

For the record, I've owned an Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, Wii, and PS3. For handhelds GB, GBC, GBA, DS, DS lite, DSi, 3DS, PSP, and Pandora. =)
But..... half of those were before my lifetime!
OT: You haven't played starcraft 1 and you call yourself an RTS-fan? What? You haven't? Then redeem yourslef slightly and buy SC2!

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Once in town i heard two kids saying who their fave Pokemon are. I heard one say mew and the other said, "what Pokemons that??"
i wanted to strangle the brat. Turned out he'd only ever played Pokemon White. How can you not know what Mew is and yet call yourself a pokemon fan?!?!
Also, my brother always tells me that, because i don't play hardcore on Call of Duty games, i'm not playing it properly. I like to play on core mercenary. So sue me.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
You don't like shopping? And you call yourself a girl?

No, I'm not kidding.

As for gaming: You've never heard of Portal? And you call yourself a gamer?