Angry Birds Dev Foresees Doom for Consoles

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I dunno, if sony continue to randomly sue users, and if nintendo brick devices that are used improperly it's conceivable for mobile and tablet games to replace traditional consoles.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
No he's right- mobile games will kill consoles completely, the same way the internet killed video, video killed radio, radio killed books...

catch the drift?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haz88 said:
My best bet would be that Nintendo will have to go take the same route as the PSPhone(forgot it's name, too lazy to google it), and integrate a phone into it's handhelds so that they serve more functions, the same way that the Xbox can stream from Netflix and the PS3 can play blurays.
This was actually attempted around 2001 with disastrous results, the phone/console lasted less than 6 months I think. I don't think completely integrated devices are the wave of the future like a lot of people think they are. I think the reason the Wii was so successful was because it was just a gaming platform, and it didn't try to be anything else, but that also made it more affordable for everyone. People talk shit on the Wii all day, but it's the undeniable sales champ of this generation, which is all that any console developer is looking at.

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
Daaaaamn that guy is fucking stupid. No mobile, social or casual game ever did something as meaningful as Heavy Rain or Mass Effect, and I don't think that they will ever do. I am so tired of these pseudo game developers assholes doing nothing than living in their soon to burst bubble and thinking they are part of the REAL game that represent consoles. Besides, in his argument he seems to think that there are nothing but blockbusters and blockbusters attempts on the consoles, and that XBLA or PSN don't exist. How can someone so ignorant be leading people in a pseudo video game company, seriously??

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
D_987 said:
"a person could throw him or herself into Angry Birds just as much as he or she might with Call of Duty, Gears of War, or any other "hardcore" title."
Utter nonsense, either this is a quote taken out of context, or the person in question is deluded as to the overall appeal of mobile games, which is that they're a fun, portable break from these big mainstream titles. Nobody takes them seriously as "proper" games, much like "social" games, however hard they try and push the agenda because the gameplay is so simplified - though that's what gives them their appeal.
^This, pretty much.

(Hey dude, it's not my fault you keep taking the words out of my mouth >_> Hope the projects are well)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Squilookle said:
No he's right- mobile games will kill consoles completely, the same way the internet killed video, video killed radio, radio killed books...

catch the drift?
LoL, radio killed books? So many literate people would be upset to hear that. =p

Dys said:
I dunno, if sony continue to randomly sue users, and if nintendo brick devices that are used improperly it's conceivable for mobile and tablet games to replace traditional consoles.
I would agree with this, but the market will provide my friend. The first company to really kill the rest is the one that doesn't try to do these things. The one that doesn't allow DRM to ruin the legal users experience. The one that doesn't try to sue people because they discovered a new way to use something that wasn't previously thought of.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
MorphingDragon said:
I will say that Mobile developers are more "nimble" (Innovative), though that is probably from the low barrier for Android and iOS development compared to console development. iOS is $99 a year while Android is nearly free.
PCs have an even lower barrier. You just need to somewhere to host or sell your game.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
warcraft4life said:
suitepee7 said:
ahhh snip
200 hours?!?!

I felt I was spiralling out of control with 115 hours on FF13 :s

Albeit, I got 20 days on COD:MW2..

Captcha: Win computers

Well played captcha, well played
i loved it. i am a trophy collector, played through to get each ending, then went on a bobblehead search, only to find out there was 1 missing that i couldn't get back, so completed it again xD plus the expansions as well, took quite a bit of time to do ^^

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
WolfLordAndy said:
Wait... so Angry birds is a whole new thing? Its been done a thousand times in flash games, this one is just slightly shinnier with birds instead of rocks/bombs/whatever.
Not to mention Angry Birds is basically just a whole game of that one match in Worms (you know the one I mean, everyone had one) where you fired a single bazooka shot and the resulting chain of bouncing mines and secondary explosions took out the entire opposing team. And you pretended that's what you intended to do with that shot.

Baresark said:
People talk shit on the Wii all day, but it's the undeniable sales champ of this generation, which is all that any console developer is looking at.
Which is why it has so many class-A third party titles...

...Oh, wait. Seems they're not looking at that, given all the big-hitting third party titles are 360 / PS3 / PC multiplatforms that rarely even have a Wii port.

GavmatexD

Feb 2, 2011
Peter Vesterbacka is an idoit how can he possibly think that moblie gaming is the future when there about to bring out a handheld consol with 3D projections without glasses and ofcourse Kinect probs the last step before we actully get VR ( BTW Hurry up !!! ) but yeah I think this guy was hit with the stupid stick :p

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
iPhone games are fun for a quick play every now and then.
But consoles are here to stay, Mr. Vesterbacka.
Sorry.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
He felt that the only innovation that was going on in gaming was happening with mobile and social games
So cloning free online flash games is innovating these days?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the man is a loon, can we not post any more of this lunatics ravings in the future? Thanks.

MorphingDragon said:
Rovio is clearly trolling.
or this. If he is though, TOUCHE! XD

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
I agree with him when my mobile turns into 32" screen with good sounds and I can relax on my sofa having with in my hand.

Also I wonder how mobile would conquer fps games mostly because the controls. True I have old fashioned phone and I play with it, but that is in the school between classes etc. So for me mobile gaming is limited to those moments. So consoles aren't dying in my opinion.

nik3daz

Jan 1, 2008
"a person could throw him or herself into Angry Birds just as much as he or she might with Call of Duty, Gears of War, or any other "hardcore" title."
I.... don't see millions of people spending hundreds of hours on angry birds....

For me, casual games are a way to kill time and I didn't find Angry Birds a particularly engaging timekiller either. I prefer Osmos which had some actual skill as opposed to this castle crashing nonsense which requires the same "skill" as Peggle.

Nowadays I prefer to read a book on my iPod or ponder assignments rather than let my mind fall the the minutiae of casual games.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
So this guy's been in the industry for what... a year? Maybe two? And the industry is closer to 30 years old now? Sorry junior, but you have about as much clue about where the industry is going as a 5-year-old does about major world events.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
because gaming on the couch gets old SO fast
as does hard core games haa pshh

anyway...I have the free holiday edition downloads for Angry Birds on my iPod Touch
it's a'ight, some levels are really bloody hard but I wouldn't pay for it (I'd much rather buy Plants vs Zombies for an iPad if I had one)

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Time for more unsubstantiated claims with no basis in reality said:
Dear entire world,

As the CEO of Huffy bicycles, I can confidently say that our success with the latest model of urban bike has clearly indicated that you and your grandparents will live to see the death of the automobile. With such innovative new features as a basket that fits between the handlebars for grocery shopping, solid rubber tires for paperboys in debris-ridden warzones, plastic explosive-packed frangible aluminum frames to insure that NOBODY walks away when you get run down, and our shrapnel-proof bike shorts to protect your private areas from chaffing and our exploding frames (sold separately), you'll never look at another car so long as you live.

A truly stunning example of our technological progression, our Vigilance-Series MilSpec DDX-95A1 All-Weather Manual Doppler Warning Klaxon will alert even the most unwary pedestrian to your presence. Just one of many mind-blowing steps we've taken towards meeting the needs of the discerning modern consumer on the go!

Now, nobody's really designed the perfect bike yet, but when it happens (probably next month at this rate, amirite?!), everything else is going to DIE TO DEATH AND WE WILL STAND ALONE ATOP THE BLOODSTAINED MOUNTAIN OF OUR FOES' CHARRED SKULLS, DRINKING FROM THE GOBLET OF VICTORY, FOR WE SHALL LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE CYCLIST-ON-MOTORIST COLLISIONS ARE FATAL FOR THOSE WITH FOUR WHEELS, AND FISHING BOATS SHALL BE TOWED BEHIND 99-SPEED MOUNTAIN BIKES! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Sincerely,
Sir Henry Dicknose, Esq., CEO

P.S. If you guys throw this in my face five years from now, you're off the Christmas card list.