Anime visual styles you can't stand

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
OP: I don't know too much about different styles. I do hate these kinds of expressions though:

So so much this. First anime series I ever watched was Stand Alone Complex, and this kind of shit wasn't in it, well except for the Tachicoma skits at the end.

Now, as a massive massive perv, I don't mind lots of cleavage shots (though schoolgirl upskirt shots gets a little embarrassing after a while) or Gainaxing, but as soon as these frigging 'cartoony' expressions start getting thrown left right and centre, it really takes me out of it.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Those that don't fit, those who lack it, and those who use generics. Topic not important enough to scour the webs in search of images though there are some specifics I dislike: DB/z/gt, cutesy, dark (cheap in every way possible,) more but I lost interest.

Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Typical shoujo and anything by KEY. That's about it, really.
Wallflower and Ouran included? Refreshed my memory, wallflower: very inconsistent, the simplistic parts I like; ouran wasn't overdone, good.

Yes, those, and those marvel tie-ins, and 3d (both regular and cell shaded.)

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I'm really picky, but one anime that comes straight to mind (besides Dragonball Z) is Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Ugh, I just can't stand how pointy their features are. Another one is Vampire Knight or any other anime with ridiculously massive eyes.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Lilani said:
The Secret of Kells.
Does that count as anime? I thought that was just ye olde animation? Or does all animation come under anime now?

OP: I don't know too much about different styles. I do hate these kinds of expressions though:

Yeah I really don't like those anime facial expressions, especially when the anime is suppose to be serious. Nothing wrong with cracking a few jokes, but don't do it in such a looney toonesque way

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Honestly, other than shows that go seriously off-model (like tehcookie's post; Kyoani did a much better job with Kanon's art when they got around to it), I only find a couple off-putting. Mostly...well, One Piece. I willingly concede that the story is great, but the artwork took some serious getting-used-to; I just didn't like Eichiro Oda's character stylization. Same for Shaman King, which looks similar.

Other than that, I can go for almost anything. That's just the only type that seems like a "trend" (i.e. more than just one artist's distinct style).

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
OH GOD WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!!!

OT: I can't stand Shin Chan or One Piece's design, it just looks ridiculous.

Raven-Loveless

Mar 4, 2010
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
They look like sea urchins

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
Colour-Scientist said:
Lilani said:
The Secret of Kells.
Does that count as anime? I thought that was just ye olde animation? Or does all animation come under anime now?
If you ask Netflix streaming it does. =P

On topic: For me it tends to be the 'shoujo' and 'shonen' styles that everyone has mentioned. Those styles tend to just feel so... Generic. Like the style itself was just rolled off a line rather than having heart put into it. I also don't like the huge 'moe-moe' sparkly eyes, I loved them when I was younger but now they just... Eh. PRetty much for the same reason but it also get my distaste for being the style that makes people go and shun the rest of it.

As for what I like I love Gainax's personal works, specifically Fooly Cooly. They really seem to have struck a sweet spot for me when it comes to how that anime was styled. Another fun one is the work of Takehito Harada of Disgaea fame, sure his style is pretty darn typical anime design wise... But the man's use of color is just so damn gorgeous I'm willing to forgive that. More realistic ones(Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell) are very beautiful in their own way too. I just happen to like (well done)stylization.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Tower of Druaga. It may in fact be the most mediocre anime I've ever seen, taking no risks and adding no sense of charm or oddity that can be enjoyed.

The fact that the visuals are absolutely horrid just adds to that beautiful bowl of putrid.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
As much as I love Trigun, the visual style bugs me on occasion. It's gorgeously drawn, but the characters seem a little...off sometimes.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
About the art for Chrono Trigger: I do really like the sprites used. And I'm sort of cool with the official artwork, too, actually. I'm not a big fan of Dragonball in any incarnation (except MAYBE the first show), but Akira Toriyama's other artwork looks okay, probably moreso for monsters than people (see Dragon Quest games). But one way I HATE seeing these characters is in the FMVs for some of the cutscenes in the Playstation and DS versions. I apologize in advance if this scars anyone, but... just look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJBfawBbQJA

For one thing, I did not imagine for a minute that Crono was that bulky. I thought he was actually a lot more slim. And the eyes on some of these characters (especially Marle and Lucca) look kind of lousy, like eggs missing their bottom half or something. Also, Frog looks kind of like a frog mixed with some kind of catfish just looking at his face. I dunno, the official artwork looks like this, too, I guess, but somehow this video just makes it look ten times worse to me.

I'll come back if I think of any other styles I actively dislike, but for the most part, I'm pretty tolerant to how a lot of anime looks. Other than that screamer-video-level-of-terror picture people keep reposting here.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Dinner plate eyes, good god, they look so stupid. Imagine if they get eye pains, It would take a whole bottle of eye relief to fix a grain of sand.
My thoughts exactly. When I see drawings like this [http://www.animewallpaperz.com/animewallpaper/hd/hires/big-eyes-purple-hair.jpg], I immediately think of this [https://www.google.com/search?q=insect+eyes&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=0BjuT6CxF4-o8ATJ1sSRAg&biw=1366&bih=664&sei=0xjuT4a_EYb48gShkLGSAg].

Glorious manwhore

Jun 29, 2012
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of anime, sure I've read some mangas, but I've at least tolerated their styles.
Now, I hate all styles of anime, why? Because I find it so, somehow, lazy, I just like western animation more.
But don't get me wrong there are guys that really impress me, for instance Studio Ghibli. I like Studio Ghibli, and they do put a ton of work into their movies, but there are just so many anime creators that are so crappy!
Also the fact that 90% of anime creators have to magnify emotions so much that it's silly, even by cartoon standards. And heck, I want to make cartoons.
Maybe that's because Japanese people are so held down in their society. Who knows?
But haters be hating.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Marik2 said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Lilani said:
The Secret of Kells.

Yeah I really don't like those anime facial expressions, especially when the anime is suppose to be serious. Nothing wrong with cracking a few jokes, but don't do it in such a looney toonesque way
Same here, although I don't see those kinds of expressions very often in animes nowadays.