Anne Hathaway Will Play Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Sinclose said:
Would you believe I actually read every single solitary issue in that year long story arc? :p
It's loooooooooooong but it's very interesting!

And you'd be wrong about that part in bold, others have managed to figure out his identity. Ultimately though, in the 'Knightfall' story arc, it was Batman's ego that 'only he' could stop the outbroken inmates that caused his downfall, something Bane foresaw and exploited. If Nolan manages to make that aspect of the character(although Bruce did learn from it) appear in the script, it could make for an interesting ride...
Although I honestly doubt it.
The bold part was more of a joke than actual fact :3

That would be quite interesting though. The whole ego behind Batman was a heavy theme in a lot of the comics I read but not something that has been shown a whole lot in any other media. I suppose people don't like to think Batman has such worldly flaws :p

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Heath Ledger is dead, Harvey died at the end of The Dark Knight, and i doubt any replacement could fill the role Ledger did as the only good depiction of the Joker, where he came off as a real psychopath as opposed to some gimmicky comic villain. I can't see this movie being any good. It was The Dark Knight breaking away from the comical bullshit of Batman Begins that made it entertaining, and adding Bane is just begging for disaster.
...oh well. I guess it could be worse. They could let Jim Carey play The Riddler again.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Mmm, I wander if Azrael will show up on this. I was talking to my dad after watching TDK and I thought a sequel would be good if it followed the Knightfall arc with Batman getting injured and a new vigilante taking his place. The vigilante goes out of control and Batman has to take him down having pretty much a Batman versus Batman showdown. Maybe a little more climatic than the one in the books but you get what I mean.

I'm interested at the moment.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I actually like Anne Hathaway, personally. I've enjoyed her performances in the movies she's been in that I've watched. I have no objections to this announcement.

Julianking93 said:
He broke down Batman psychologically by releasing all the inmates from Arkham and was even able to learn his secret identity, something that no one else seems to be able to do >>
If, you know, you count Tim Drake, Riddler, and Hugo Strange as "no one".

There might be a few others that have pulled it off, too.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Cpt Corallis said:
Jbird said:
Holy sh*t; I friggin' called it on Bane. It's a shame I can't find the post on the Escapist forums to show for it.
I did as well! I'm hoping that The Dark Knight rises does have two separate villains. Bane is good, especially if they actually follow the route of using his origin story to show the growth of Batman as a character but I think it does need someone slightly more high profile as well, no idea who it could be though, especially following The Joker and Two Face In The Dark Knight.
As did I, Bane is right up Nolan's street for this franchise. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Scarecrow yet either which I sure as hell hope he comes back and works with Bane for a little while. Cillian Murphey is too damn good not to bring back...

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Bane is a great villain. Possibly the only one that is as smart as Wayne and as physically menacing. Anyone who thinks Bane isn't a good villain for the final movie in a trilogy clearly knows nothing about him.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Space Jawa said:
If, you know, you count Tim Drake, Riddler, and Hugo Strange as "no one".

There might be a few others that have pulled it off, too.
See my last post for that. [quote="Sinclose" post="7.258294.9720687
Well to be fair that theme has been dealt with enough that it's become irrelevant in most modern Batman comics. Bruce learned from all his mistakes, and moved on.

But since these are the early days of Batman in the 'Nolanverse', it could happen. But I doubt Nolan's writing and Bale's Batman would ever consider it this aspect.[/quote]Maybe not. There are tons of rumours going around right now but no one can be certain. Just have to wait and see ^_^

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Hopefully he'll recognise and utilise Bane's intelligence from the comics rather than just a mindless brute. But yeah, I liked having Bane as a villain.

Catwoman? It was pretty obvious it was going to be anyway.

Sovvolf said:
Mmm, I wander if Azrael will show up on this. I was talking to my dad after watching TDK and I thought a sequel would be good if it followed the Knightfall arc with Batman getting injured and a new vigilante taking his place. The vigilante goes out of control and Batman has to take him down having pretty much a Batman versus Batman showdown. Maybe a little more climatic than the one in the books but you get what I mean.

I'm interested at the moment.
I think that would be a pretty satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, especially if it expanded on the guys pretending to be Batman with guns at the start of TDK.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Sinclose said:
Well to be fair that theme has been dealt with enough that it's become irrelevant in most modern Batman comics. Bruce learned from all his mistakes, and moved on.

But since these are the early days of Batman in the 'Nolanverse', it could happen. But I doubt Nolan's writing and Bale's Batman would ever consider it this aspect.
I dunno man, Nolan's Bruce is becoming more arrogant than ever and it would make perfect sense for the series to explore this. After condeming any other vigilantes in the city, acting entirely selfishly to attempt and consequently losing Rachel, losing Harvey Dent and proclaiming himself the dark knight (in all but words from himself) and massive abuse of his own power (sonar phones) I'd say he is on one way trip to arroganceville...

The Bane of the comics used this to his advantage and broke him. Watching him learn from his mistakes (after a complimentry patronising speech from Alfred), may give us the titular rising dark knight.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can see how Bane would pose a much more direct threat than Dr. Strange but I don't think he really fits into the universe Nolan was trying to create for his trilogy. It's weird also, how Selina Kyle is mentioned but Catwoman isn't. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to see Hush on the silver screen...

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
DevilWolf47 said:
Heath Ledger is dead, Harvey died at the end of The Dark Knight, and i doubt any replacement could fill the role Ledger did as the only good depiction of the Joker, where he came off as a real psychopath as opposed to some gimmicky comic villain. I can't see this movie being any good. It was The Dark Knight breaking away from the comical bullshit of Batman Begins that made it entertaining, and adding Bane is just begging for disaster.
So much for me to disagree with here.
First, do you mean comical as in the movie was full of jokes?
And there was nothing "bullshit" about Batman Begins, it just happened to get a sequel that was better than it.
Also Ledger's wasn't the only good portrayal of the Joker. He took the approach of sociopath dressed like a clown with a sick sense of humor while other people took the approach of a clown that also happened to be completely insane.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
Bane? Bane!? BAAANE!?
NOOOOO!
Please tell me that's not how you think Bane really is? ;(
He's one of the most interesting villains in the Batman mythos. That movie just portrayed him insanely wrong.
He's smarter then Batman. Stronger. Faster. He's the perfect enemy.

I'm happy he's getting a second chance to redeem himself.
Now I just hope we get a back-break in!

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
hurricanejbb said:
I have a feeling that Bane will do some serious damage to the Bat in this film. Perhaps that will be where the "rising" comes in; Batman has to fight against a police force turned against him and recover from the crippling injuries delivered to him.
That would be awesome. Knightfall was an amazing story and if it is used as inspiration, if only partely, it would be awesome to see on the big screen.
Can't wait.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
jizz!...about anne, not tom. But in all seriousness she is a great actress and it doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
xdom125x said:
DevilWolf47 said:
So much for me to disagree with here.
First, do you mean comical as in the movie was full of jokes?
And there was nothing "bullshit" about Batman Begins, it just happened to get a sequel that was better than it.
Also Ledger's wasn't the only good portrayal of the Joker. He took the approach of sociopath dressed like a clown with a sick sense of humor while other people took the approach of a clown that also happened to be completely insane.

No, Batman Begins was shit because the science, even by comic book movie standards, was beyond saving. And by "Comical" i mean unrealistic, acting by a set of rules that don't exist in reality. Yeah The Dark Knight had some soft spots in the plot, like where the Joker was getting all of the military grade hardware he used, how he moved such massive bombs, and there is also a detail common to the superhero plots where the cops were so fucking inept and easy to manipulate that it was hard to be impressed by some of Joker's stunts.

That being said, they knew to keep his backstory a mystery because every attempt to have a Joker backstory ended in disaster, did a good job of making it difficult to predict just how insane he really is, and didn't bother with the gag weapons. Once they addressed the issues that previously killed condemned the Joker to hell for trying too hard, he was entertaining as a simple psychotic anarchist.