Anonymous Hacks Syrian Ministry of Defense

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
Deamon Toss said:
You do realize i'm not the only person swearing here? and compared to how angry I had gotten, I held back on it a ton compared to others. Why your pointing this out to me at all, and not the whole thread is confusing me greatly. Seriously, what is the point here?
Because you didn't stop. Someone swears at me, I don't swear back, regardless. They were in the wrong as well, but if someone refused to put a stop to it, who is really at fault? You say you held back, why didn't you hold back full stop? An person proves their worth by how assertive they can be, if they can keep their cool in a stressful situation, how resourceful they are etc.

Well, thats me done for the night. Maybe when I visit in the morning the carnage here will be long forgotten. My bed awaits.

On topic - I do hope something is done in Syria soon, looks like it's getting really, really bad out there.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Deamon Toss said:
Dragunai said:
Deamon Toss said:
Dragunai said:
Soldiers shooting civilians in the street who aren't fighting back.
Wow, your balls must be huge. Its too bad Anon didn't breach their central governments servers and or military nerve center and re-direct missile attacks onto Assad >.>
yes, clearly anonymous have the right to now even play god themselves. The fact that you don't understand the absolute consequences of that action more or less says it all. when {not if} that happens, you can kiss all your internet freedoms goodbye. Becuase it will be the very last excuse for politicians to take them away.

I don't agree with their government at all, and I deplore what they are doing to their own people, but hacking into missile silo's is more or less the beginning of the end for everything as you know it.
Yes, because everything said on the net is to be taken seriously, disputed, attacked and trampled to make you look superior.

I don't know whats going on out there, I don't care either.

Its ANOTHER dictator in some country not spoken of by anyone until bad shit kicks off, as he goes about murdering innocent people who can't fight back, As usual when some dickless wonder gets into a position of power, and the media hypes it up like its the end of the fucking civilized world before the middle class teenagers of the west start sitting on their computers, on forums like these going "awww isn't it sad, let's discuss it so we can look like we care / are global politics savvy," to which I add another few tallies to my "Humans are a plague" chalkboard.

Walk it off junior and take your base.
I'm not trying to looks superior, I'm offering a different opinion. if I come off that way I apologize, but thats certainly not my intention whatsoever.

I don't understand what your trying to say in the second half of your post besides "I don't give a shit either way" which doesn't really effect me one way or the other I suppose.
Its fine, if you don't want to come off as a jerk, don't use sarcasm and tell someone they don't know the situation while acting as if you're the professor on it.

Either way, Let us move on.

Yes it sucks this is happening again, so soon after Libya but what can you do other than set up special ops hit squads from the US, UK and so on and simply remove these bastards from power?
Then you have the issues of the UN / Nato choosing governments which creates a totalitarian situation of the strongest countries controlling the weakest which in turn comes around to the aspect of, "Well, hasn't the strong always lead the weak? and if weak countries keep falling into the hands of psycho's isn't it up to the civilized countries to protect the innocents of those countries who aren't dying by choice?"

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Deamon Toss said:
Popido said:
Deamon Toss said:
Herpety Derpaty.
What is this guy being butthurt about?

Anonymous sucks? Its not what people think it is? They're wrong? They dont really mean it?

I dont get what you're trying to say. Are you just stating the obvious?
You'd think so. But sometimes the obvoius just isn't enough. I did certainly herp a derp in this thread through. It's alright, megative or positive, nothing changes. Not a single thing.
I think Anonymous is "an idea, that uses modern ability to connect with people to gain support". Kinda hard to phrase it. Just simple calling it foolish or deceiving is naive, just as is calling Anonymous all powerful or 4chan as the hellhole of internet. But enough about that...

I see Anonymous is still in middle east. Im eager to see how far this "revolution" will reach in coming months.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
As Daemon Toss has quite vehemently pointed out, Anonymous aren't always the nice people (frequently not, in fact) but I think most of us would agree that if they're going to focus anything, this was a pretty good target.

I got a chuckle out of the idea of the Syrian Government having a WTF moment when they saw that on their site - and here's hoping a few of the people in Syria did too, anything to raise their spirits and give a feeling of support is good my eyes.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
This is the closest that Anonymous have come to doing something productive that I've noticed so far. With the mention of non-violence, it's easy to assume that they're maturing on some level philosophically, not that I'd count on that, ever.

In any case, it's quite likely a counter-productive message, and I think it's naive of those posting in this thread to blindly support Anonymous "because they're doing something about it". In any conflict, many potential actions can do more harm than good - this is one of them.

When you want a rebellion, and want it to be successful (and assuming in this case that you say yes to both of these), you don't just tear down one website and declare that "the world stands with" those rebelling against the Syrian Government on that URL. (Especially when "the world" doesn't "stand with" jack - it's like telling them that NATO or the UN can afford to send military aid or something, which they definitely can't do at this point. Sanctions is what the West can afford to do at present and that's all.)

People choose to use websites or not. In Syria, how many of the population do you think would see the website while the hacked version displays? To those reading: how often do you visit your own country's Defence Department website? Not often, I'll wager. And those who are in the military who would use it are unlikely to be as open to so-called "enemy propaganda" as the general populace.

There's a reason why anti-hero rebellion figures often appear on multiple news channels at the same time in their media stunts in fiction - because they have to, to reach the audience figures they need to actually make a difference. It also helps that the regimes an anti-hero goes up against usually have taken full control of the media so it's all centralised. If you tell a tiny portion of the population of Syria to go disobey the government's orders, you're quite likely to get those who listen killed. This is either a lethally dangerous and irresponsible attempt at rebellion, or an incredibly naive/apathetic and inhumane publicity stunt.

There is yet another concern. How many of the people in Anonymous really think about this militarily as a "good time" to encourage a non-violent resistance? I doubt it even crossed their minds if this was good timing or not. A clever resistance is timed properly, especially a non-violent one to a brutal regime. Call me crazy, but I'd say that there is more than one reason why the world hasn't acted against the regime yet. Perhaps Anonymous should have considered such reasons.

So if it was misleading, doesn't reach enough of an audience and is in all probability a badly timed action, how can we consider this a good move for the people of Syria? We should not celebrate the likelihood of someone (possibly an innocent person or even several) getting killed as a result of a premature "rebellion".

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Well good for them i suppose...

At least they're getting a message across to the world that we already know about, but hey they try.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well there's anonymous' one good dead for the month. Next story will likely be on them doing something dickish.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

"No outside enemy could do as much damage to Syria as Bashar Al-Assad has done.

I beg to differe anon. I think if any country decided to just commit a mas genocide through carpet bombing, napalm, posioning the land/water, and/or a nuclear weapon launched straight into the heart of the country and then a second just to mop up whats left would damage the country FAR more then whatever their leader is doing.

besides, I thought you were supposed to target IRAN, and it was supposed to be a complete computer shut down.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Dragunai said:
Deamon Toss said:
Dragunai said:
Wow, your balls must be huge. Its too bad Anon didn't breach their central governments servers and or military nerve center and re-direct missile attacks onto Assad >.>
yes, clearly anonymous have the right to now even play god themselves. The fact that you don't understand the absolute consequences of that action more or less says it all. when {not if} that happens, you can kiss all your internet freedoms goodbye. Becuase it will be the very last excuse for politicians to take them away.

I don't agree with their government at all, and I deplore what they are doing to their own people, but hacking into missile silo's is more or less the beginning of the end for everything as you know it.
Yes, because everything said on the net is to be taken seriously, disputed, attacked and trampled to make you look superior.

Its ANOTHER dictator in some country not spoken of by anyone until bad shit kicks off, as he goes about murdering innocent people who can't fight back, As usual when some dickless wonder gets into a position of power, and the media hypes it up like its the end of the fucking civilized world before the middle class teenagers of the west start sitting on their computers, on forums like these going "awww isn't it sad, let's discuss it so we can look like we care / are global politics savvy," to which I add another few tallies to my "Humans are a plague" chalkboard.

Dont worry, we dont like you either.
I'll be sure to make a note of not being liked by you in my journal so I can remember to give a damn about it at some point. Does next Tuesday work for you?

You do realize you basically admitted to being a pretentious, fake western teen right?
Love it.

Anyway, I don't feel like getting ball ache from the mods, so consider this me signing out.
Buh bye.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Maybe Anonymous should combine it's two operations. Take down Facebook and Syria at the same time.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.305497-Anonymous-announces-its-plan-to-destroy-facebook?page=1

I mean, they've already taken down Syria's facebook page so, while you're there anyway....

^_^

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Dragunai said:
Dragunai said:
Deamon Toss said:
Dragunai said:

Dont worry, we dont like you either.
I'll be sure to make a note of not being liked by you in my journal so I can remember to give a damn about it at some point. Does next Tuesday work for you?

You do realize you basically admitted to being a pretentious, fake western teen right?
Love it.

Anyway, I don't feel like getting ball ache from the mods, so consider this me signing out.
Buh bye.
Dude, im just saying.

You come in this thread and insult everyone, then leave. Why not just refrain from posting entirely? Im in no place to speak for everyone on this forum but generally people whos only goal is to spread a negative vibe arent welcome.

And who knows, maybe im a pretentious, fake western teen. Maybe im not. You dont know, so you would do well to leave needless assumptions and insults outside before you enter contact with other people. And anyhow, no matter what or who I am, I would prefer people thinking about me like that to people thinking about me like they must think about you if youre always like this.

I would actually love to hear you reply and justify that post.

Inb4 you act like the stereotypical western teen you hate so much and start talking about how you dont care what other people think, etc.
Didn't insult anyone, I said pretentious teens who hang out on forums like this one, I never pointed any fingers, therefore if you're annoyed then clearly my words hit a nerve. No one else responded therefore they either aren't worried, don't care or just don't think themselves in the bracket I presented which is fine, as I was making a generalized statement.

Speaking of assumptions:
"I would prefer people thinking about me like that, to people thinking about me like they must think about you, if you're always like this."

Cite reference to other points where I have been "always like this,"
Seriously man, you're shooting into the dark here with vague insults and attempts at self perpetuation of betterment over those you see as opposed to the normality of what you think is right.

And if you're not in the group I remarked on, why pipe up and cause more negativity? I said I was leaving the thread and you called me back in, that being the case, why post at all?

And when did I ever act like the stereotype I presented? I never gave any cause for you to make that statement.

Dear me. What a world we live in.

Justified, in style. *slicks back hair*

Can I go now, or are you going to come back at me with some pointless taunt and or insult to contradict the very ideal you're shooting for?