Anonymous Says It's Not Finished With Sony

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Snowalker said:
thaluikhain said:
Snowalker said:
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.
Though that's true, many people favouring that mask wouldn't have heard of him, and most wouldn't be interested in him at all otherwise.
Yeah, true, but its better that people know the history of things, don't ya think? I mean, sure most that dawn that mask hardly knows what it stands for, but don't you think they should?
If they are using it as a symbol of something, absolutely. And particularly because the person who chose to use that symbol in the piece of fiction they like didn't do so at random.

[small]You mean "don that mask", I think.[/small]
[small] Yeah, I did, I'll fix that [/small]

While I know he didn't pick it randomly, I don't think he elaborated upon its meaning, though he did leave strong... no he just never directly stated, sure most get the meaning, but the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting for catholicism (Albeit, more than that, but that was his plan, we've kinda given its own meaning)might deter people... In no way was I saying that Alan more was wrong in using, no, I loved the way it was used... I just don't much care for Anons use of it, if that makes sense.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Snowalker said:
While I know he didn't pick it randomly, I don't think he elaborated upon its meaning, though he did leave strong... no he just never directly stated, sure most get the meaning, but the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting for catholicism (Albeit, more than that, but that was his plan, we've kinda given its own meaning)might deter people... In no way was I saying that Alan more was wrong in using, no, I loved the way it was used... I just don't much care for Anons use of it, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I get what you mean. What is appropriate in a fictional work based on real events is not always going to be appropriate for real events based on a fictional work based on real events.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I hope they have some effect, however, we had 500,000 people protest in London over national cuts, and our leaders reaction was 'oh they're just being silly, they don't understand, pass me another list of hospitals and libraries to close please!'

If 1% of an entire country can be motivated to get up and go out and travel to the nation's capital, and get roundly ignored, then whatever proportion of 3,400 show up at a Sony Store, I sense are going to be easy to brush off by Sony's bigwigs, while making the poor staff at each store horribly nervous.

I guess I'm more in favour of action that directly affects the company, not just bugging the bottom rung of kids working in stores on the weekend to earn some pocket money or pay for their university education.

It's the same reason I very rarely complain in a store, because it's very rarely the staff's fault, it's some dick bringing in some company policy designed to trim a few pence off the budget and make life worse for everyone. Write to the people up top instead. OR in the Anon/Sony thing, bugger about with their sites etc instead :)

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Go ahead. An IRL protest isn't going to have the effect they think.

On the internet, a small group can appear to be a giant force. Since it's a world that is virtually all talk, you're as big as your words appear. In the real world, though, you can't fake numbers. You can't fake force. If nine guys show up to a Sony store, that just looks like "annoying pranksters with delusions of importance." And the truth shall set you free.

And only 3,500 on Facebook? That's all over. And do you think they'll all show up? (See "internet is all talk" above) With Anon, this one isn't even going to be as big as their last--despite it being a bigger issue, the "newness" of the Anonymous protest is gone. You aren't even drawing the bandwagon novelty crowd.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
You know that all this discussion about wearing a mask, be it a Guy Fawkes mask or a Ronald Reagan mask, may be irrelevant? In most states (including the more populous ones such as California, Texas, and Florida) it is illegal to wear a mask in public. If local law enforcement decides to enforce the anti-mask-wearing statutes, ain't hardly nobody gonna be wearing no masks at no protests.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Archangel357 said:
People need to cut this crap out.

GeoHot isn't a righteous freedom fighter, laying his life on the line in the service of some higher cause.

He's an immature douche bag and an attention whore.
He ain't called "EgoHot" in some quarters for nothing. He recently boasts on his blog that he got covered by NASDAQ's newsletter. As if NASDAQ's newsletter's up there with the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal. I've no doubt he'd do sexual favors for a reporter from the Boise-Idaho Register if he thought that'd get his name mentioned.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Inglip said:
AnythingOutstanding said:
Snowalker said:
You know, I liked Alan Moore's story and all but I am getting a little tired of seeing that damn mask.
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.
Who cares?
Yeah, who cares about important history. It's not like it matters, bro.

Don't take pride in your ignorance.
I'm confused, we never talk about Guy Fawkes wearing a mask when we celebrate Guy Fawkes' day, he never even wore one to my knowledge, he was just a fanatic.

Guy Fawkes' day is just when we all get to break out the fireworks, yaaaay! ;D

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Kind of hard to make out the voice there, Anonymous. :S
Interesting to see how many people will actually go protest tho!

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: That TV man looks silly! :D
No Calumon YOU look silly (check my avatar ... dont worry Ill delete it)

they wont be attending themselves? hmm some of them should just to prove they are as willing to risk themselves as they are others.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Anonymous needs to fuck off. Sony didn't force youtube and paypal to do anything, the court did when they granted the subpoena or injunction or whatever it was. The only people who are going to be punished here are those who use sony products.

Anonymous is making the gaming world hate them more and more by the day.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Archangel357 said:

GeoHot isn't a righteous freedom fighter, laying his life on the line in the service of some higher cause.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"Oh no, they'll continue to slightly annoy us?! What ever will we do?!"

Except they're not even planning to continue DDOS, so I can only assume they're going to...

Do what, exactly? Stand around with 'longcat is long' and other old-as-fuck memes written on signs? I'm sure that'll scare them.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
TheFPSisDead said:
Archangel357 said:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
And the bitter-sweet irony is that being an incurable attention whore is precisely what got his dumb ass in hot water. His fanboys like to act as if the reason he published his root key was to aid others in restoring OtherOS and that he was in so doing performing some sort of altruistic public service. Public servant, my ass. He did it for the attention. And deservedly got Sony's attention -- in a big way. Doofus.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Courts gave Sony that information, Sony just requested it.

And even when they did get it, far as I know it was for Attorney's eyes only, not publicly available and only used as evidence.

Quite frankly, I don't feel the enthusiasm from Anon anymore. This lawsuit has been twisted and manipulated on both sides, all this is only serving to confuse the public even more.

We sheep are easy to sway, after all.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Snowalker said:
You know, I liked Alan Moore's story and all but I am getting a little tired of seeing that damn mask.
Who cares?
You, apparently.

I'm intrigued to see how this whole thing turns out, Anonymous' influence is pretty damn strong.