Anonymous Splinter Group Targeting Sony Executives

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
InterAirplay said:
I guess you could consider Anon the Internet's equivalent of a riot mob. Disconnected, disollusioned, a massive mix of people all working towards vaguely similar aims.

It's just a shame that they tend to get portrayed as a singular entity acting in unison. That's a hypothesis that makes no sense.
Thats pretty right. Hive of supremely bored ponies.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
heydarguise said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
heydarguise said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
You wanna fuck with the people involved, you do that, that's one thing. You fuck with their kids, their families... Shit starts to get REALLY creepy. Their families? Seriously? Since when has Anon decided "Tim fucked up, I'm gonna gather all the information I can on his wife and kids"? If one person fucks up, Anon usually attacks that person, not their entire family... This doesn't seem right, this doesn't seem like anon
Thats misleading. Howard Stringer (born 1942) is an older man and his children are adults. We dont even want to mess with them but its possible to socially engineer the situation and get them to give us information about Mr Stringer, for example his cell phone number so we can ask him if he lieks mudkipz.
Not misleading at all actually, because never once did I imply "Young, small, tots, toddlers, young'uns, tiny, or ankle bitters" and therefore no age. Also, notice just abut every time I mention kids, I mention family. You wanna piss on stringer, that's one thing, stay away from his family. It's uncalled for. Don't ask them for information to hack him. You're the great hacking group right? Can't figure it out for yourself? You have to harass his family in order to harass him?
In some ways I agree with you, but still I still see it as mostly harmless pranks. Some anons have made this point; In the case the judge allowed Sony to have access to people who've visited geohots youtube page for example. That seams tantamount to Sony demanding to see what you've checked out at the library. While we may be invading certain Sony employees private lives, they are invading the entire publics.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/07/judge-in-sony-vs-geohot-orders-youtube-and-others-to-give-up-us/
It gives them an IP address and a name, but legally, SONY isn't allowed to do much with the information. They were looking for a connection to California. Do you know what that means? They are allowed to look at the IP address and see how many come from California. That's really about it. They MIGHT be able to look at the city or get a name. Beyond that, SONY is forbidden to do anything. Did you understand this before you decided SONY was being the most evil bastards? OH, and when it says it gets their user data, it's limited to the information entered.

It's like facebook. Don't ***** that someone calls your home number and pranks you if you have an open account with your phone number displayed on facebook.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, this is silly. I think I pointed out before that it's all for naught. And why should Anonymous actions affect Geohotz? That don't make no sense. The only thing that can affect him is the actual trial. Whatever doings Anonymous is up to have nothing to do with him. They and Sony may as well be fighting on the other side of the planet (and probably are). The hacker modding his PS3 is not likely responsible, so you can't 'make an example of him'. That would BE unlawful, contrary to the point trying to be made.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Jegsimmons said:
honestly, is this "anonymous" or some pissed off gamers pretending to be them, anon goes after anti- free speech activity, not a dim witted sony.

honestly i figured this would be beneath them.

somethings wrong here.
Anonymous isn't fully organized, though, is it? It isn't all one leader/group of leaders planning and stuff. Someone wants to do something, they rally other likeminded members around them. Looking at them as one fully organized and cooperating whole is going to make a lot of things not add up. (I don't think you could turn them on each other, though.
well true, it isnt organized, but this really isnt their MO, sony is just doing this to protect their company's interest (though it is stupid in a sense) and anonymous upright attacking them and their families so they can pirate is almost the opposite of what anon fights for. i mean theres a difference between a protest and INTERNET terrorism.
so i cant call these guys anon in the classical sense.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Aaaaaaand now I can't sign into PSN. I'm going on holiday in a couple'a days and I just got a new PSP memory stick, so if my downloads aren't on my PSP by tomorrow I'm going to be putting up a "go Sony" flag. I know there's maintenance and stuff going on but still.

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
Shadie777 said:
binnsyboy said:
To be honest, I don't really think Anonymous cares about Geohot. A long standing "moral" of theirs has been "you're expected to keep making all this cool shit, but we shouldn't have to pay for it if we want it for free, because that totally works". They're just doing it to exercise their power, pseudo-siding with Geohot because it in a way stands for what they want.
This means they are no different than the "evil" company's that they are trying to fight against. Heck, the company and the large number of employees deserve to earn the money >_>. If the company loses money so do the employees that support it and most of them are only trying to earn a good amount of wage just like everyone else.

GeekFury said:
Anonymous, modern day freedom fighters for the little man.

Shine on you magnificent bastards!
Why are you supporting them anyway? Im am actually curious on why you would support this. Sony is only trying to protect their own interests. I am absolutely sure that anyone would do the same in their position, including me.
It sets a dangerous legal precedent and law functions on precedent. A lawyer in a future case may argue "In the case of Sony vs George 'geohot' Hotz the judge allowed the plaintiff information on the people who veiwed the potentially illegal (because this case hasn't went to trial yet. Innocent until proven guilty.) material posted by the defendant." We don't like the way that reads and as members of the public were voicing our dissent in a way we feel more effective then a boycott for example.

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
HG131 said:
Korten12 said:
HG131 said:
Kaytastrophe said:
bunch of cowards if you ask me. Seriously attacking the family members of Sony exec. To me that's just crossing a line. Besides who gave these 14 year old shut ins with a computer the authority to deal out justice (if you want to call it that)?
So, we should just bow down to corporations? There is no line when it comes to freedom from big business.
Sorry but thats really bad logic. Sony is just trying to project its IPs.

What are you in the 60's? This is the 2000's. (partialy serious)
I don't really care what they're trying to do, ruining a guy's life over it is just being a giant *****.
heydarguise said:
HG131 said:
Echo136 said:
Proof that people in anonymous are childish bullies who have no lives. Anyone who supports them deserves none of my respect either.
Well, why would I want your respect?
Andronicus said:
heydarguise said:
Hi guys. My name is "heyguise" and I'm the administrator for the irc channel #sonyrecon (the one this article is about.) If you guys have any questions about what we are doing or the reasons for this I'd be more than glad to answer you.

But as Rebbeca black says 3:40pm waking up in the after noon...gotta have my bowl :p
Are you guys actually looking for info on Stringer's kids too? I can... sort of understand the rationale behind the attack - I don't like it, but can understand it - but trying to get personal info on people who have absolutely nothing to do with this, and kids nonetheless, is actually kinda sick.
There are no civilians in a warzone.
You make me sad face :<
Why?
Kaytastrophe" post="7.275620.10690352 said:
HG131" post="7.275620.10690170 said:
Scary Spider.

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
InterAirplay said:
heydarguise said:
InterAirplay said:
I guess you could consider Anon the Internet's equivalent of a riot mob. Disconnected, disollusioned, a massive mix of people all working towards vaguely similar aims.

It's just a shame that they tend to get portrayed as a singular entity acting in unison. That's a hypothesis that makes no sense.
Thats pretty right. Hive of supremely bored ponies.
Hive of supremely bored ponies who somehow got hold of a shipment of air rifles. So now you can't go near them without getting a face-full of extremely painful pellet and they can do whatever they want.
Silly guy. Ponies cant shoot air rifles, they have hooves.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
With every new story my respect for Anonymous fades.

They're beginning to remind me of trade unions circa 1975.

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
Togs said:
With every new story my respect for Anonymous fades.

They're beginning to remind me of trade unions circa 1975.
Anonymous campaign is really one against oligarchy. We do use some not-so-nice methods. But we believe the methods used by us are not as terrible as the ones used by those we target. Lets not forget Sony is not with out sin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
While I don't like Geohot or piracy in general, it looked like he had a good shot at winning the case, and Sony was just playing sour grapes with last-ditch efforts to pull him down.

And as such I can kind of understand Anon's strike at Sony's legal folks, seeing as they've got to protect their own (if only purely for the "lulz" of watching Sony writhe in frustration), but going after the Sony guys' families? There's got to be a line somewhere, even in the pursuit of Lulz, and that's definitely over it.

I can understand (even if I don't quite fully support) those folks leaving "chocolate rain" on voicemail, but dragging someone's family into an issue, even just to get more info, is just low, even for Anon.

asleep at the comp

Jun 26, 2008
this whole thing has me just confused i want to get on my ps3 but get paranoid and turn on my Xbox instead its crazy wish it was over. (run on sentence?)

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Knusper said:
I usually like what Anonyomous does for free-speech but this is definitely counter-productive for Hotz's case
I agree,But there is something more important.That's some awesome avatar, where did you get it.

DJROC

Dec 15, 2010
heydarguise said:
Hi guys. My name is "heyguise" and I'm the administrator for the irc channel #sonyrecon (the one this article is about.) If you guys have any questions about what we are doing or the reasons for this I'd be more than glad to answer you.
Not to ask the obvious questions, but what are you doing and what are the reasons?

I mean, I don't see the harassment and pranking of Sony Execs or those involved in the legal process as contributing to Hotz's likelihood of winning the case, and I doubt that it's going to get Sony to drop the suit, so... why?

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
This whole thing is ridiculous. GeoHot was basically asking for a lawsuit by not posting the key anonymously, & Anonymous are just going to get Sony to make an example of GeoHot. Also, going for family is way over the line. I hope anonymous get taken down.

heydarguise

Apr 6, 2011
TheMadTypist said:
While I don't like Geohot or piracy in general, it looked like he had a good shot at winning the case, and Sony was just playing sour grapes with last-ditch efforts to pull him down.

And as such I can kind of understand Anon's strike at Sony's legal folks, seeing as they've got to protect their own (if only purely for the "lulz" of watching Sony writhe in frustration), but going after the Sony guys' families? There's got to be a line somewhere, even in the pursuit of Lulz, and that's definitely over it.

I can understand (even if I don't quite fully support) those folks leaving "chocolate rain" on voicemail, but dragging someone's family into an issue, even just to get more info, is just low, even for Anon.
The phone number was found this way; his number was unlisted on the internet (big exec doesn't want that getting out) How ever his WIFES home number was listed. Since he and his wife live in the same house...we have his phone number. No looking into the family, no chocolate rain :<