Anonymous Strikes Again

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Is anyone else nostalgic for the days when Anonymous only did things for the lulz and/or to protect internet freedom? It seems as if Anon is being taken over by a bunch of political fringe believers and attacking anyone they dislike for any reason whatsoever. Instead of Habbo raids, they go and attack the state of Wisconsin for union reforms. What do union politics have to do with Anonymous? Sad to say it, but Anonymous' ideals are now dead, hijacked for political means. I think it's time for us to recognize that Anonymous are no longer the freedom-loving vigilantes that we once respected them for, but just another cog in the machine of left-wing activism. It's too bad; God knows there are enough of those already.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
cora mcstrap said:
Akio91 said:
Anonymous, at it's core, is better for the internet than people believe.
I disagree completely. How can a group of people who only person is to try and force people to agree with then or have their websites 404'ed be a good thing. It's like an internet protection racket. I mean look at it. What have the Greeks done to deserve 1 of their websites attacked. If they have attacked a German website i might be less annoyed.

The EU is doing a lot to keep the internet free (much to America's dislike) and thats still not good enough for ill-informed children that make up Anon
I suppose that the government not wanting to help its citizens isn't a good enough 'cause'.

Then again we live in a society where people hate freedom.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
dobahci said:
The philosophy of Anonymous seems to be that there is no social, political, or economic issue, no matter how complex, which cannot be solved by DDoSing websites.

Well, at least they're trying. It's almost cute.
They didn't DDoS the website. Which part of the changing it seems like they DDoSed it?

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
DoPo said:
They didn't DDoS the website. Which part of the changing it seems like they DDoSed it?
Okay, taking down websites in some form or another.

Kinda misses the point though. You can egg the house of a politician who supports abortion and call it a protest in support of women's right to choose, but everyone else is still going to look at you as the vandal hiding in the bushes tossing eggs.

cora mcstrap

Jul 21, 2011
Denariax said:
cora mcstrap said:
Akio91 said:
Anonymous, at it's core, is better for the internet than people believe.
I disagree completely. How can a group of people who only person is to try and force people to agree with then or have their websites 404'ed be a good thing. It's like an internet protection racket. I mean look at it. What have the Greeks done to deserve 1 of their websites attacked. If they have attacked a German website i might be less annoyed.

The EU is doing a lot to keep the internet free (much to America's dislike) and thats still not good enough for ill-informed children that make up Anon
I suppose that the government not wanting to help its citizens isn't a good enough 'cause'.

The Greek Government are damned if the do damned if they don't. Up-holding it's people "freedoms" means not getting the money it needs to try and get Greece back in to a tenable position. Do what they ECB/German wants and they get slammed for not "uphold their peoples freedoms". If people want to lay the blame for the Greek peoples lack of freedoms try Greeks creditors for changing the rules every time Greece agrees something

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thing about Anon is that anyone can claim it. Anyone. Any hacker can leave "anonymous" as there name. Except only 'Anonymous' use it as a name for their group, so even if they didnt do it they cant prove it. lol

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Denariax said:

The issue is difficult. Also, Anon is all about freedom "Do what we say or we will kill your website" yeah, thats freedom alright. Thats what dictators do. An do you really think Anon have a clue of the intricate nature of governments, finances and what it takes to keep a country on the move? I doubt it. Its laughable. Greek have to make cuts to get bail out money, that money is what will save Greece and the people. Just like the UK got in debt bailing out the banks - even though it was the banks fault in the first place. Sometimes you have to chose the lesser of two evils.

Also, as extra info, i lost my job with the police due to government cuts to the police budget. So i really feel for the Greek people. Anon are all about making headlines and getting involved in things they dont understand or can never help - because shutting down websites dont do shit to anything. Doesnt change a thing. They just want to massage there ego. They did do good, catching the guy that abused his cat on youtube, and they should stick with stuff like that. Because thats real change that people can get behind.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

The issue is difficult. Also, Anon is all about freedom "Do what we say or we will kill your website" yeah, thats freedom alright. Thats what dictators do. An do you really think Anon have a clue of the intricate nature of governments, finances and what it takes to keep a country on the move? I doubt it. Its laughable. Greek have to make cuts to get bail out money, that money is what will save Greece and the people. Just like the UK got in debt bailing out the banks - even though it was the banks fault in the first place. Sometimes you have to chose the lesser of two evils.

Also, as extra info, i lost my job with the police due to government cuts to the police budget. So i really feel for the Greek people. Anon are all about making headlines and getting involved in things they dont understand or can never help - because shutting down websites dont do shit to anything. Doesnt change a thing. They just want to massage there ego. They did do good, catching the guy that abused his cat on youtube, and they should stick with stuff like that. Because thats real change that people can get behind.
I like the part where people actually really believe that Anon is the one attacking people every single time a member says it.

Its called group stereotyping guys. Anyone can put the mask on, anyone can 'say' anything. Its a matter of sitting down and thinking.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Denariax said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

I like the part where people actually really believe that Anon is the one attacking people every single time a member says it.

Its called group stereotyping guys. Anyone can put the mask on, anyone can 'say' anything. Its a matter of sitting down and thinking.
You have two paths here, as a group. You can accept that your group does not stand for anything and that anyone who wants to be is a part of it. But if that happens, the group is responsible for things done in its name. Or, the group can set itself up as a single organisation, with a clear deliniation between who is and is not Anon, but then, there would have to be some form of identifier as to what acts are and are not commited by the group. This means accountability on the part of the so called 'true anons'.

You cannot dictate who is and is not part of an anarchic group. It is as simple as that. And so anon has to make a choice soon, do they want to be anarchic, or do they want to have a solide set of priciples and control over their image. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

cameron112497

Jan 9, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Basically, anyone wanting an abortion is required to have an invasive ultrasound. Anonymous, being Pro-Choice, are quite upset about this.
And here I thought the point of Ultrasound was to avoid having to introduce anything "invasive" into a person's body.
Shows what I know..
This may derail the thread a bit.I have had an ultrasound and they just rub jelly on you and then take what looks like a barcode reader and press it against your skin. I have no idea how that could be considered "intrusive."

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
cameron112497 said:
This may derail the thread a bit.I have had an ultrasound and they just rub jelly on you and then take what looks like a barcode reader and press it against your skin. I have no idea how that could be considered "intrusive."
That's what I figured, but medical sciences and biology are my weakest areas of general expertise. I didn't want to assume.

If they mean it goes against her "privacy", then that's kind of backwards to begin with, and flies in the face of "Doctor-Patient Confidentiality".

cameron112497

Jan 9, 2010
and now My contribution to the thread: oh no, the internet's most famous chaotic nuetral, decentralized, disorganized group protests in a chaotic nuetral, decentralized, peaceful, and disorganized way? Lets make snide comments about their personal lives we know nothing about!

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

You have two paths here, as a group. You can accept that your group does not stand for anything and that anyone who wants to be is a part of it. But if that happens, the group is responsible for things done in its name. Or, the group can set itself up as a single organisation, with a clear deliniation between who is and is not Anon, but then, there would have to be some form of identifier as to what acts are and are not commited by the group. This means accountability on the part of the so called 'true anons'.

You cannot dictate who is and is not part of an anarchic group. It is as simple as that. And so anon has to make a choice soon, do they want to be anarchic, or do they want to have a solide set of priciples and control over their image. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
Actually I'm pretty sure they 'can' have their cake and eat it. This is the internet. Its made for stuff like that. Lets keep it that way.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Denariax said:
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

Actually I'm pretty sure they 'can' have their cake and eat it. This is the internet. Its made for stuff like that. Lets keep it that way.
Yes, lets pay off the concept of logic simply because of the medium that it occurs in. I mean, perhaps, if they were confined to the internet and the internet alone, they could wither away in the filth of their illogic, but they want to affect the real world. This is no longer a group of people who like to hide in the dark cesspools of the net and damage sites, this is a group that wants to affect policy in the physical world. Therefore, they have to either mature or accept the fact that they cannot disavow any dickhead that claims their name.

Honestly, the idea that 'this be the internet lolz' is anywhere close to a half decent response to critism of anon is exactly the sort of dogmatic, factionalised idiology that their supporters constantly peddle. Why? Why do you think that logic no longer applies simply becuase its effects are viewed through a moniter?

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

Yes, lets pay off the concept of logic simply because of the medium that it occurs in. I mean, perhaps, if they were confined to the internet and the internet alone, they could wither away in the filth of their illogic, but they want to affect the real world. This is no longer a group of people who like to hide in the dark cesspools of the net and damage sites, this is a group that wants to affect policy in the physical world. Therefore, they have to either mature or accept the fact that they cannot disavow any dickhead that claims their name.

Honestly, the idea that 'this be the internet lolz' is anywhere close to a half decent response to critism of anon is exactly the sort of dogmatic, factionalised idiology that their supporters constantly peddle. Why? Why do you think that logic no longer applies simply becuase its effects are viewed through a moniter?
Because if we don't have that kind of logic here, then everywhere else will seem just as irritating and boring. I despise a large portion of humanity for its insipidity. Backing a group that at least tries to keep the logicless entity logicless is so much better than having to go back to the stupid crap that everyone attempts to push down our throats every day.

So yeah, to me you think I'm an asshat. But I attempt thinking about what 'will' happen, and to countries I'm usually in direct contact with or in. Yes its selfish, but I don't have to care.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Redlin5 said:
putowtin said:
DoPo said:
Any reason why they did it? I seem to recall some threats against Greece but I may just be imagining it.
because being on the verge of bankruptcy isn't enough?
Anon is the kind of group that would kick someone when they are down just for the hell of it.
And so would I. While I dont watch the situation so closely and it's fault of their goverment rather than Greece as a nation, they still reject to tighten their belts, forcing EU to sink in them money from much poorer countries.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
DoPo said:
cora mcstrap said:
They engage in illegal acts like hacking
"Hacking" is not illegal. The term you need is "cracking".

Personal pet peeve of mine.

EDIT: Actually "malicious hacking" also works.
Gosh, you must be busy. I gave up already, term hacking is spread too much already.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Vhite said:
DoPo said:
cora mcstrap said:
They engage in illegal acts like hacking
"Hacking" is not illegal. The term you need is "cracking".

Personal pet peeve of mine.

EDIT: Actually "malicious hacking" also works.
Gosh, you must be busy. I gave up already, term hacking is spread too much already.
Frankly, lots of times people do use it correctly...but they think it means something else. I don't usually correct them then. For example, if somebody says that Anon are hackers - well, yes, I can agree they are (well, it's sort of correct, I suppose). However the person probably thought they were calling them a bad word but they weren't. I tend to pipe in if they somebody uses it improperly, as the case above. But not every instance of portraying hacking as negative is bad - the term "malicious hacking" is correct.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Denariax said:
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
the clockmaker said:
Denariax said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Denariax said:

Because if we don't have that kind of logic here, then everywhere else will seem just as irritating and boring. I despise a large portion of humanity for its insipidity. Backing a group that at least tries to keep the logicless entity logicless is so much better than having to go back to the stupid crap that everyone attempts to push down our throats every day.

So yeah, to me you think I'm an asshat. But I attempt thinking about what 'will' happen, and to countries I'm usually in direct contact with or in. Yes its selfish, but I don't have to care.
If you want to hide in your corner of the net and pretend like you are towering over the 'insipid' masses because of your amazing new logical model, more power to you mate. But the bailout in greece, OWS, Wikileaks etc affect the real world, these are things with actual tangable consequences. That is no longer the time for cute little unlogic.

That is what annoys me about anon and its supporters, they think that they are special, that the rules that apply to every other person on the planet don't apply to them. That they speak for the internet against the forces of old and evil. But the whole idea is so goddamn arbitray, there is no moral reason for Anon to act in the manner that it does, there is no real reason for the internet to be subject to a differant logic. Do you act on a differant logic over the phone? or over the radio?

Following on from that, you are probably not as special as you think you are, and not above the 'insipid' that you so hate. And even then, even if you were, to despise someone for being less than you is pathetic. Do you hate those weaker than yourself? Or those uglier? Or less brave? If you are truely smarter than a large proportion of humanity, it is not something that you earned, just something that you have so do not hate people who do not.