Anonymous Strikes Back, Hacks "Internet Security" Firm

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
What if...*dramatic pause*...the FBI wanted this to happen? ...Probably not, but I'm gonna laugh so hard that I fall out of my chair if I see a news story saying "every Anonymous member caught (here's all of their names), /b/ shut down, FBI throws party".

Anyway, Anonymous is a big chunk of the reason why I think freedom is over-rated.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
My only thought is that Anonymous is treading on dangerous territory. They may be able to get away with their normal tricks but Government don't like having their noses tweaked.
Governments only have their military and police to do the dirty work for them, but if the government is taken down, all the guns will be useless and when governments resort to guns to police the internet, that just means they've lost.
Governments don't magically get "taken down" overnight. Anonymous is not an armed force, and as much as they like to toot their horns and play their tricks they are not an organized force and they are not anonymous. So far they have not been worth the trouble to pursue in earnest, but should they cross the line too far they will find themselves facing more trouble than they know how to deal with.

hctib_elttil

Sep 24, 2010
this is what happens when you fuck the faceless masses
the people are the power
and while anon dosnt represent everyone its the majority
its always been the same

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Calbeck said:
"How exactly do you plan to fight a group that has no organization, Hoglund?"

Considering that you already mentioned that 40 Anons were house-searched by the FBI and 5 others arrested already?

Apparently, by investigating their membership, following the chain as Anon members unable to flee the microscope start giving up their friends, and putting them in jail for committing felonies.

Just a thought, mindja.
Arresting 40 members of anon is like dipping a cup into the ocean and collecting the water it can store. Those individual drops are changed but you have made no impact on body of water.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
My only thought is that Anonymous is treading on dangerous territory. They may be able to get away with their normal tricks but Government don't like having their noses tweaked.
Governments only have their military and police to do the dirty work for them, but if the government is taken down, all the guns will be useless and when governments resort to guns to police the internet, that just means they've lost.
Governments don't magically get "taken down" overnight. Anonymous is not an armed force, and as much as they like to toot their horns and play their tricks they are not an organized force and they are not anonymous. So far they have not been worth the trouble to pursue in earnest, but should they cross the line too far they will find themselves facing more trouble than they know how to deal with.
They can't all be found, not at the cost of innocent lives, and I never said Anon had the muscle to take down the government, but a state is proven weak if it resorts to guns to police its people, and Anon wouldn't be out for blood against the US government unless the state has done something that goes too far like martial law or lock down or whatever, and so far Anon has only created movements with other movements, they themselves don't seem to have an agenda other than supporting people.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Let me just say, i personally think Anonymous is the only thing standing between the goverment, and total control of the internet.

Ive always loved Anon. Theyer jokes, strange crusades and quests against non-existant or otherwise harmless "enemys".

But this. This litterally proves my point. Anonymous is more then just a collection of harmless internet nerds, trolling childrens sites and waging war on snow. No, they are real. And they are here to stay, AND FIGHT FOR THE RIGHTS OF THE INTERNET AND ITS BRIDGE DWELLING KIND!

Also, this is the most lol's worthy topic ive read all week.

jh322

May 14, 2008
one of my favourite things about this story is that they reference Rule 14 (Don't argue with Trolls, it means they win).

It's a really nice reminder of the tongue-in-cheek humour they use because they can. They don't have some corporate boss telling them how to phrase stuff, so they put tits and jokes on everything. Why not? If I hacked that site, and knew the name of the CEO, I'd have just replaced it with a fictional story about his/her spouse getting done in the ass by a guy wearing a V-mask.

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
I'm laughing at most of these posts, especially the ones that "can't wait till anonymous gets arrested, stupid teenagers lololol"

Anonymous isn't /b/, it isn't a website, it isn't a community. Anonymous is what it means, having no known name or identity or known source. There are no people in charge, just people.

Think of a model earth, with every person a green, blue or red dot. Every minute, a random amount of green/blue dots turn red, and a random amount of red dots turn green/blue. Each red dot is someone who supports anonymous' ideas and participates in what the ideas support. Each green dot is a citizen that either doesn't know about anonymous, or doesn't support them. While each blue dot is the FBI/someone out to get anon.

Now, imagine some blue dots attack a group of people, blanking out both green and red dots. This changes nothing, because the green dots will still turn red. In fact, the green dots around the green dots blanked out might get angry, and turn red faster.

Now, put a mask around the model of the Earth, that makes every single dot purple or blue, purple being a person not in the FBI, and blue still being the FBI. The only thing the blue dots can do is potentially make a hole in the mask, showing some red dots temporarily.

Goddamn, I'm not sure if I can understand my own post.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
It is getting pretty hard to ignore how oppressive our governments are becoming.

It is therefore getting pretty hard to not cheer when everyday people defy The Man, even in an ultimately pointless manner such as this. It's more than most of us will do.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The social link. The weakest part of even the best network security system.

Anonymous exploited the oldest, and sadly, effective trick in the book.
Can't wait for their actions to ultimately end up costing everyone in the end. It'll happen eventually.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
joebear15 said:
Atlas13 said:
I'm laughing at most of these posts, especially the ones that "can't wait till anonymous gets arrested, stupid teenagers lololol"

Anonymous isn't /b/, it isn't a website, it isn't a community. Anonymous is what it means, having no known name or identity or known source. There are no people in charge, just people.

Think of a model earth, with every person a green, blue or red dot. Every minute, a random amount of green/blue dots turn red, and a random amount of red dots turn green/blue. Each red dot is someone who supports anonymous' ideas and participates in what the ideas support. Each green dot is a citizen that either doesn't know about anonymous, or doesn't support them. While each blue dot is the FBI/someone out to get anon.

Now, imagine some blue dots attack a group of people, blanking out both green and red dots. This changes nothing, because the green dots will still turn red. In fact, the green dots around the green dots blanked out might get angry, and turn red faster.

Now, put a mask around the model of the Earth, that makes every single dot purple or blue, purple being a person not in the FBI, and blue still being the FBI. The only thing the blue dots can do is potentially make a hole in the mask, showing some red dots temporarily.

Goddamn, I'm not sure if I can understand my own post.

you realise how incredibly easy groups with no leaders are to misdirect and trap I mean when the FBI or god help annon the NSA starts putting some efforts into it do you really think its top tier members(ones ones that provide the real mussle for these attacks" even stand a chance?
For the NSA to get involved, would require Anonymous to do something more serious than the least serious thing that the NSA are currently dealing with. That's to say, make themselves a greater priority.

It's the NSA. They don't care about this. Public embarrassment to a government doesn't mean anything any more. They just ignore it.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Normally I scoff at the group, but this is becoming quite entertaining. Please go on.

On another note, anybody else notice how the Church of $cientology is under investigation for human trafficking and slavery. Anon, if you have anything to do with that, I'll completely change my stance on your group.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
The social link. The weakest part of even the best network security system.

Anonymous exploited the oldest, and sadly, effective trick in the book.
Can't wait for their actions to ultimately end up costing everyone in the end. It'll happen eventually.
You can't wait to blame Anonymous when the government screws you over?

Sure, that makes sense.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
agnosticOCD said:
They can't all be found, not at the cost of innocent lives, and I never said Anon had the muscle to take down the government, but a state is proven weak if it resorts to guns to police its people, and Anon wouldn't be out for blood against the US government unless the state has done something that goes too far like martial law or lock down or whatever, and so far Anon has only created movements with other movements, they themselves don't seem to have an agenda other than supporting people.
You would be vastly surprised. I agree that using guns to terrorize its citizenry lead only to the uprising of the citizens against the government oppressing them. The government is not seen as weak when it enforces the law, it is seen as doing its job. The government will not be interested in the pranksters, they are interested in those who are breaking the law and carrying out attacks.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
llagrok said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Ditto. I feel the same way about Anonymous that I do about petty street-thugs. I would like nothing more than to see a chunk of their members to go to federal prison.

Escapist, when that news comes, please let us know. But constantly posting about their illegal activities only encourages the attention hungry bastards.
What would they go to prison for? Do you think anonymous lives in America?
Nowhere did I say American prison. Federal was a bad choice of words, but prison nonetheless. I just don't think scumbags like those in Anonymous should enjoy any of the luxuries that those not imprisoned enjoy.

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Wonderful news. It's things like this that keep me from losing hope in humanity.

You guys!

As for this...

AnarchistAbe said:
llagrok said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Ditto. I feel the same way about Anonymous that I do about petty street-thugs. I would like nothing more than to see a chunk of their members to go to federal prison.

Escapist, when that news comes, please let us know. But constantly posting about their illegal activities only encourages the attention hungry bastards.
What would they go to prison for? Do you think anonymous lives in America?
Nowhere did I say American prison. Federal was a bad choice of words, but prison nonetheless. I just don't think scumbags like those in Anonymous should enjoy any of the luxuries that those not imprisoned enjoy.
This shows a fair amount of ignorance for the good things that so many anons have done to help educate and inform, for instance all the leaks on a certain dangerous UFO cult. I'm willing to bet you think wikileaks should be removed from the internets too, right?

Sure a large number of jerks just love to troll under the big Anonymous umbrella, but your generalisation there. I think I most take exception to your proposals of incarceration and rights-stripping of what is for the most part a humanitarian disorganisation.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
You would be vastly surprised. I agree that using guns to terrorize its citizenry lead only to the uprising of the citizens against the government oppressing them. The government is not seen as weak when it enforces the law, it is seen as doing its job. The government will not be interested in the pranksters, they are interested in those who are breaking the law and carrying out attacks.
Aye, but it is weak as it would rather resort to violence than providing incentives to its people. Anon is beyond a group of internet pranksters... or at least that's what they try to be.