Anonymous Strikes Back, Hacks "Internet Security" Firm

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
borderline cyber terrorism, but I suppose he had it coming.

Anonymous proves once more that simple lols and the low road can be a fun, intelligent experience :p

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
They can't all be found, not at the cost of innocent lives, and I never said Anon had the muscle to take down the government, but a state is proven weak if it resorts to guns to police its people, and Anon wouldn't be out for blood against the US government unless the state has done something that goes too far like martial law or lock down or whatever, and so far Anon has only created movements with other movements, they themselves don't seem to have an agenda other than supporting people.
You would be vastly surprised. I agree that using guns to terrorize its citizenry lead only to the uprising of the citizens against the government oppressing them. The government is not seen as weak when it enforces the law, it is seen as doing its job. The government will not be interested in the pranksters, they are interested in those who are breaking the law and carrying out attacks.
Aye, but it is weak as it would rather resort to violence than providing incentives to its people. Anon is beyond a group of internet pranksters... or at least that's what they try to be.
Who said anything about the government resorting to violence to pursue Anon members. If the government goes after them they will be arrested and brought to trial in court as they should be if they are breaking the law. It is not the government's job to give incentives for good behavior, the government's job is to protect the people.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
They can't all be found, not at the cost of innocent lives, and I never said Anon had the muscle to take down the government, but a state is proven weak if it resorts to guns to police its people, and Anon wouldn't be out for blood against the US government unless the state has done something that goes too far like martial law or lock down or whatever, and so far Anon has only created movements with other movements, they themselves don't seem to have an agenda other than supporting people.
You would be vastly surprised. I agree that using guns to terrorize its citizenry lead only to the uprising of the citizens against the government oppressing them. The government is not seen as weak when it enforces the law, it is seen as doing its job. The government will not be interested in the pranksters, they are interested in those who are breaking the law and carrying out attacks.
Aye, but it is weak as it would rather resort to violence than providing incentives to its people. Anon is beyond a group of internet pranksters... or at least that's what they try to be.
Who said anything about the government resorting to violence to pursue Anon members. If the government goes after them they will be arrested and brought to trial in court as they should be if they are breaking the law. It is not the government's job to give incentives for good behavior, the government's job is to protect the people.
The government's job is to protect people? I'd be going off-topic from the article if I were to discuss how false that is especially in situations today.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
joebear15 said:
MajoraPersona said:
This somehow reminds me of the part of 1984, when they're plotting against Big Brother, and the disabled TV (that normally monitors all discussions) chimes in with them. Then they all get arrested and tortured.

No, that's not happening to Anonymous. Anonymous is Big Brother in that scenario.
Anon is Big Brother then what would the FBI be?? (I think the annalogy is not a good one in this situation)
Admitedly, it's a bad analogy. But the FBI aren't the ones in question here; it's the company that sold out several members of Anonymous. And they'd be the protagonist of the novel.

Again, it's not the best analogy.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
"Is that right? How exactly do you plan to fight a group that has no organization, Hoglund?"

By convincing the FBI the organisation exists, that's how. Lots of firms like this do this successfully, and have done so successfully for various companies for years. The anti-piracy business is based on firms like this creating a threat out of thin air.

How is this news to anyone?

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
The government's job is to protect people? I'd be going off-topic from the article if I were to discuss how false that is especially in situations today.
The purpose of government is to protect the rights and freedoms of the people as defined by its founding documents and the law.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
The Plunk said:
This whole thing is like: Punching a police officer, then hiding in a bush and when more police come to track you down, kicking the tracker dog in the face, throwing your passport and drivers license at the police and waving your dick in their general direction before high-tailing it out of there.

If you'll excuse the analogy.
I'll excuse it on grounds of awesome.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
joebear15 said:
MajoraPersona said:
joebear15 said:
MajoraPersona said:
This somehow reminds me of the part of 1984, when they're plotting against Big Brother, and the disabled TV (that normally monitors all discussions) chimes in with them. Then they all get arrested and tortured.

No, that's not happening to Anonymous. Anonymous is Big Brother in that scenario.
Anon is Big Brother then what would the FBI be?? (I think the annalogy is not a good one in this situation)
Admitedly, it's a bad analogy. But the FBI aren't the ones in question here; it's the company that sold out several members of Anonymous. And they'd be the protagonist of the novel.

Again, it's not the best analogy.
oh I see where your goin now, but Im pretty sure in the book when Big Brother called and asked them for the passowrd to their computer theye did not give it to him
Again, it's an analogy. It bears some resemblance to the situation at hand, but perhaps not the best one.

Plurralbles said:
The Plunk said:
This whole thing is like: Punching a police officer, then hiding in a bush and when more police come to track you down, kicking the tracker dog in the face, throwing your passport and drivers license at the police and waving your dick in their general direction before high-tailing it out of there.

If you'll excuse the analogy.
I'll excuse it on grounds of awesome.
The quoted analogy would be the best one.

Crusnik

Apr 16, 2008
Tanksie said:
Crusnik said:
Tanksie said:
-Samurai- said:
I can't wait till life bites these stupid kids in the ass.

When the government decides to start pushing ISPs to police their users activities, you can all thank this group of would-be e-vigilantes.

The phrase of the day is; "counter productivity".
this.
And then those ISPs get taken down, one by one, until the only ones left are the ones that refuse to police.
hollow words and idle threats

when the feds want anon gone theyll go. no arguements no big tough anon website takedowns they will disappear. i will laugh at how anon thought they were untouchable
I refer you to the rules of the internet:
3. We are Anonymous.
4. Anonymous is legion.
5. Anonymous never forgives.
6. Anonymous can be a horrible, senseless, uncaring monster.
7. Anonymous is still able to deliver.
You underestimate, or misunderstand, Anonymous.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
The purpose of government is to protect the rights and freedoms of the people as defined by its founding documents and the law.
Aye, that's how its define, but is that what those put in power are doing though? The internet is a constant threat to people holding government positions, and control over the internet would be a joyous advantage for governments. I'm not one of those NWO conspiracy theorists, but once a government has control of the internet, the last of its interests will be protecting the rights of people under the forced collective. Laws written on paper do not stop men from using such to their advantage at the expense of another.

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
sleekie said:
Atmos Duality said:
The social link. The weakest part of even the best network security system.

Anonymous exploited the oldest, and sadly, effective trick in the book.
Can't wait for their actions to ultimately end up costing everyone in the end. It'll happen eventually.
You can't wait to blame Anonymous when the government screws you over?

Sure, that makes sense.
Twist words all you want. I'm spin-free here.

I hate what my government (the US) does; every government of that size and scale is full of assholes. But don't think for one second that Anonymous is on "your side" or that they're "heroes" for doing this. For the moment, they're directing their rage towards a "noble goal", but even if things were all peachy, they would get bored and attack something else "for the lulz".

There will be repercussions, and you can bet your ass the general public will pay for it if it escalates. People will blame the government, the government will blame Anonymous; both will be responsible whether you want to admit it or not.
Well, that's quite a few words you typed there, but it didn't really have much content, did it? I mean, there's a nice strawman, and some dark, theatrical threats that Anonymous will Do Something. Well, yeah. Business as usual with Anon, really.

That doesn't change the fact that the government using that as an excuse to screw you over, is the government screwing you over. Anonymous could pack up and go home right this minute, you think all the problems are going to go away? Internet freedom for all?

I guess what I'm getting at is that all this crap with Anonymous is frankly trivial. I know people are having fun throwing the word 'terrorism' around, but all this DDoS shit is trivial. The only significance to it is that it's sometimes very funny. The fact that the government are coming for all of us as a result? Not really a result. They were going to do that anyway. Business as usual.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Ken Sapp said:
agnosticOCD said:
Aye, that's how its define, but is that what those put in power are doing though? The internet is a constant threat to people holding government positions, and control over the internet would be a joyous advantage for governments. I'm not one of those NWO conspiracy theorists, but once a government has control of the internet, the last of its interests will be protecting the rights of people under the forced collective. Laws written on paper do not stop men from using such to their advantage at the expense of another.
*defined... sorry.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
it's like watching 2 trains on the same track going 88 mph right at each other. entertaining, gruesome, and very glad not to be on either train.

Mr Godfrey

Jul 31, 2009
I doubt the members that were arrested were even anonymous. The real anon can't be tracked, FBI's sadly out of their league on this one.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
captain underpants said:
-Samurai- said:
I can't wait till life bites these stupid kids in the ass.

When the government decides to start pushing ISPs to police their users activities, you can all thank this group of would-be e-vigilantes.
They want to do that anyway. At least someone is kicking against the pricks. But hey, you just keep on sitting on your complacent arse while any illusion of freedom you have is slowly eroded away by the control freaks in authority.
They want to do that because of stupid kids like this. Without these little wanna-ve e-vigilantes, there wouldn't be anything to police. But, hey, if you want to turn a bunch of 14 year olds with no moral compass and no understanding of the real world into your heroes, go for it. I'll be over here being an adult.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Reed Spacer said:
Anonymous oughtta send the Daemon after them.

Yeah.
Yeah.

Anyway, this is hardly any sort of l33t hacking skill, it reminds me of an event a little while ago where someone closed down someones Xbox Live Account because it he had Recon Armor for Halo 3. Not really that impressive, but it gets the job done I suppose.

Jan 27, 2011
Oh...My...Gosh...

As much as I think Anonymous is composed mostly of nuts with no lives, living in basements...

You can't deny that they've got guts and have a good idea what they're doing. This was hilarious to read.