Any good game/general geek sites that dont moan about sexism/racism/homophobia?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
LifeCharacter said:
Except telling him to just find reviewers who fit his preferences is fairly helpful and incredibly basic advice. Telling him to go look around and see who he agrees with and who he doesn't not only helps him along on his journey to treat games like simply toys but disavows the idea that he should look for an entire website that fits his preferences, especially in regard to reviews.
Yes it's basic, it's basic to the point of being useless. If someone were to prick their finger when sowing and then ask where they could buy finger protection, to tell them to stop poking it with a pin and to go find a thimble is useless. Obviously he was looking for specifics so that he could narrow down his search rather than wading through the hundreds of reviewers out there.

LifeCharacter said:
It's not more understandable for a man to push back after being pushed than for a man to push for no reason? I'm not saying he was right to do so, only that it's understandable that he should lash out when he feels the whole thread is against him.
I'm saying they're both so far removed from "understandable" that saying that one is more so is pointless unless you're trying to say that it is actually understandable, which you are. A single page of people making snide comments to you does not make "everyone who disagrees with me needs psychiatric help" understandable in any sense of the word.
If you can't understand how having unanimous opposition might make someone lash out then you are so beyond basic empathy that there is no point to continuing this discussion.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
If you can't understand how having unanimous opposition might make someone lash out then you are so beyond basic empathy that there is no point to continuing this discussion.
#1. Why did OP face near "unanimous" opposition if his OP wasn't inflammatory?
#2. OP employed inflammatory language from the title onwards. He didn't just start with it after facing censure.
#3. How do the rules of "basic empathy" view the assessment of opposing viewpoints as "pointless shit"?
#4. How do you feel about general maxims of behavior, like "treat others like you wish to be treated". How might such a school of thought apply to OP's behavior and worldview?

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
So instead of taking the millisecond to just gloss over the passages and sentences that you disagree with or are irrelevant to you, you need outside help? Is the mere mention of something that takes your entertainment seriously enough to put it in a real cultural context really that offensive to you?

I mean, this feels like a deaf gamer being offended that the reviewer discusses in-game music.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I think the point here is that if you create a thread using goading and incendiary language, you can expect other people to respond in kind.

Trying to excuse it as "Oh, that's just the way the OP articulates himself", doesn't wash. Because if it did, everyone else in this thread could then use exactly the same excuse.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
BloatedGuppy said:
Yes, you have chosen to lecture some of his respondents as to their tone, ostensibly with the goal of making the site a nicer place. Others have chosen to lecture the OP on his tone, ostensibly with the same goal. One would think your motivations were aligned.

My issue is not with your desire to see OP's wishes fulfilled. It's with your presentation of the OP as a genial fellow accidentally employing overly blue language in his post. That is neither consistent with his posting history nor the content of his posts in this thread. Honestly, not much would've come of any of this if OP had just mildly, transparently flamed and got flamed in return. It's the legion of ideologically aligned talking heads marching in to declare the OP pure as the driven snow that is cracking me the fuck up. "Can't a fellow just ask a question? What is wrong with the world!". People ask questions all the time, and get said questions answered problem free. The trick is not to be an instigator about it.
I'd just like to say that I don't agree with OP's ideology. I found the whole GamerGate business to be both silly and incomprehensible and was relieved when it was banished to RP. However, I dislike the tenancy that many users of this site have to post dismissal arguments that are tangential to most points raised and only serve to derail the thread. This thread is simply the ultimate example of this behavior, having been immediately derailed for a post that could, at most, be considered abrasive.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
I'd just like to say that I don't agree with OP's ideology. I found the whole GamerGate business to be both silly and incomprehensible and was relieved when it was banished to RP. However, I dislike the tenancy that many users of this site have to post dismissal arguments that are tangential to most points raised and only serve to derail the thread. This thread is simply the ultimate example of this behavior, having been immediately derailed for a post that could, at most, be considered abrasive.
I disagree with your characterization of the post. I think the post is 15% genuine question, 85% deliberate feather ruffling. His posting history supports this. The tenor of his responses supports this. "Hey is there a place around here where I can eat and not have to put up with fuckwits? What? Why is everyone mad at me? I'm just asking a simple question!". OP wanted to fire some shots, he did, and got shots fired in return. You seem like a nice fellow. I'd pick a more worthy cause for your efforts than the defense of this thread.

PS - It's late. I go sleep now. Guppy tired.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
tilmoph said:
Genocidicles said:
I want news about games/movies/comics, I don't give a shit about whether or not something is 'problematic'.

Are there any major sites that keep this shit out of their reviews, previews and basic discussions? I don't want to give ad revenue to any company that thinks these things are relevant in the discussion of video games, tv shows or comics or whatever.

While it definitely is not major by any stretch of the term, I think ChristCenteredGamer might actually fit the bill content wise. Hold on, I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out.

The reviews themselves are focused 99% on the game's content; world building, graphical quality, mechanics, and execution and glitches. The whole christ-centered aspect comes in in 2 forms. First, at the end of the review, the reviewer will have a one paragraph overview covering things like level of mandatory drug-use, how the game treats sins like murder and theft (good, neutral, or evil acts), the kinds of things concerned parents and conservative christian types might care about. Secondly, the reviews have two sideboxes, one, called highlights, has strong points and weak points, which are focused solely on the game, and morality warnings, which are things of specific interest to the prior mentioned groups. The second is the keeping of two separate scores; the first is, again, the game score using a percent score, based on x/50. x Is the total of the subscores; gameplay (rated 0-20) graphics, sound (both 0-10) stability, and controls (0-5). The morality score, which again is separate and has no bearing on the game score, is again percent of x/50, and is made of violence, language, sexual content, occult, and ethical/moral, all having up to ten points.

The reviews themselves are detailed and well-written, and do a good job of conveying the in game experience of the reviewer, which, as noted, and in spite of the name, don't go into conservative/christian moral perspectives until the end "morality paragraph", otherwise being solely focused on the game itself. I think this might be up your alley, regardless of your beliefs, since the site does an impeccable job of separating moral and cultural arguments about a game from discussion and overview of the quality of the game as a game.
Well dang, I am impressed. Out of curiosity I decided to check out ChristCenteredGamer based on your post here (had never heard of them before) and...surprisingly they're actually pretty good, was not expecting that.

I really dig that they keep the moral stuff separate from the actual game part while still acknowledging that it's a factor for some people. But moreso than that--the moral side seems to try to take all questionable moral content into account, as opposed to just the reviewer's personal hangups. I mean like, they take into account that violence or language might be offensive to some people and is worth noting, just as much as sexual or discrimination stuff (or presumably sexist/racist themes) would be worth noting as well. Which is all really refreshing because (to me) it feels more culture agnostic as opposed to USA-centric, more sensitive to the fact that different people find different things offensive (mind you I haven't read too many of their reviews yet).

I'd say a great example would be their review of South Park: Stick of Truth. If they were reviewers from some other site they might have given South Park: Stick of Truth a low score and taken away points for being offensive (doesn't matter what the particular offense is, for SJW/feminist reviewers maybe it's sexism, christians the violence, whatever).
And while they gave it a complete 0% moral score (which sounds about right hehe) they gave it a game score of 86%. Which is consistent with what Metacritic says (both professional and user scores).

Later in the game I earned a summon of the flamboyant Mr. Slave who sodomizes the enemies until they die. There are three other summons that can be unlocked after completing some side quests. One of these summons is Jesus if you successfully find him a few times.

There are plenty of side quests including the token "Getting rid of rats in a cellar." You'll find multiple ...
I mean look at that--no rant, no going off on a tangent about the portrayal of Jesus or the use of gay Mr. Slave, no docking points because of that content. Just continues the review like nothing happened.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them, thanks for sharing!

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
I can't speak for the OP, but if I were to guess it would be reviews like this [http://www.g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/] that he is seeking to avoid. Reviews that place portrayal of characters over the merits of the gameplay itself.
This brings to mind an interesting point. Other M was marketed, in part, on the strength of its story. Given that, any review that doesn't discuss that story is an incomplete review. With that in mind, it seems highly unlikely that Genocidicles' search will be fruitful, as it is a search for deliberately incomplete reviews.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
BloatedGuppy said:
Drathnoxis said:
#1. Why did OP face near "unanimous" opposition if his OP wasn't inflammatory?
Because many members of the Escapist would rather come to a thread to dismiss a poster that they disagree with rather than to either answer the question or remain quiet.
BloatedGuppy said:
#2. OP employed inflammatory language from the title onwards. He didn't just start with it after facing censure.
I'll give you the one word from the title, "moan", the rest with context really isn't all that inflamatory. EDIT: I should clarify this a bit more. If you consider that "shit" is probably a major part of his vocabulary, to describe something that he doesn't like as "shit" would be very natural.

BloatedGuppy said:
#3. How do the rules of "basic empathy" view the assessment of opposing viewpoints as "pointless shit"?
I never said whether or not the OP possessed basic empathy or that I agreed with his assessment.

BloatedGuppy said:
#4. How do you feel about general maxims of behavior, like "treat others like you wish to be treated". How might such a school of thought apply to OP's behavior and worldview?
I would agree with that maxim and try to follow it in my life. Thus, when someone is lashing out I try to understand where they are coming from as I would hope that others would do for me if I were to lash out.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
but if I were to guess it would be reviews like this [http://www.g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/] that he is seeking to avoid.
Look, I'm pleased as punch that someone has finally come up with an example.. but..

That review is four and a half years to old. Would something a little more recent not be more relevant? I don't know, maybe OP is playing catchup on old games. But you've also chosen a review for Other M, a game well known for mangling what many considered in the past to be a strong, well-loved character.

I'm not saying this is an awful example of the point you're trying to make but that review also makes the point of how the awful plot and sexism connotations, to which OP is so opposed, also directly negatively impacts the gameplay that OP deeply solely cares about. I'd say that's relevant.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
I can't speak for the OP, but if I were to guess it would be reviews like this [http://www.g4tv.com/games/wii/61992/Metroid-Other-M/review/] that he is seeking to avoid. Reviews that place portrayal of characters over the merits of the gameplay itself.
The game was marketed based on its story and the characterization of Samus is basically all anyone ever remembers or talks about. They do address the gameplay, though not in-depth unless you're familiar with Ninja Gaiden.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
LifeCharacter said:
Except there wasn't unanimous opposition, as you pointed out previously. That said, I did not say lashing out wasn't understandable, I said the way he lashed out wasn't understandable.
Okay, well then I'd like to take back my empathy comment. However, I still don't think that there is much point in continuing this discussion as I've said all that I can say without repeating myself.

KingDragonlord

Jul 22, 2012
Even Wikipedia isn't going to be 100% free of that sort of thing. A wiki page for a work will usually have a "Reception/Criticism" section and if the sexism/racism/political whatever was notable enough then reactions to it will be represented in that section.

Unless you go to that objective game reviews site, you aren't going to find a site thats completely free of this. Even the sites that are less inclined to talk about it will generally at least offer their own take when enough other sites are giving these kinds of reactions.

And I want them to. I want to be able to factor that into my evaluation of their review. Its useful to know if the woman in charge of reviewing Dragon's Crown was bothered by the large breasts of the Sorceress. I can make the mental adjustment myself based on how I feel about large breasts. Maybe its even a selling point for me "Oh look! Lots of large breasts in this game. Thanks for the info irate feminist reviewer." The alternative is that they don't mention it and but it still colors their review and causes them to mark the game down. Isn't it great that she told you why she's marking the game down so that you know its not being dinged for something that would bother you?

And if you're about to drop 20 to 60 bucks on a game, you should be reading more than one review anyway.

Looks like ChristCenteredGamer has a good model to follow. Maybe more sites will adopt that in the future.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Leoofmoon said:
Um yeah you did, with a simple read you fucking did, you mentioned that women don't want to feel threatened and you know what I have had enough of your fucking tune on this forums. You come in spouting all this BS about how misogynistic game are and its fucking dumb. You are a sheep from what I see that has no independent though and you follow a herd of people who want you to think a certain way.

you talk as if where gaming back in the days of Jack just replacing the word of Violence with Misogyny, No female has felt uninvited in game because its a hobbies we all hold even if they play phone games, I am so sorry people don't want to go to sites like Gawker and Kotaku and get shit on for being a gamer.
I didn't even SAY threatened.
Are you reading someone else's posts?

This is honestly quite hilarious.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Phasmal said:
Leoofmoon said:
Um yeah you did, with a simple read you fucking did, you mentioned that women don't want to feel threatened and you know what I have had enough of your fucking tune on this forums. You come in spouting all this BS about how misogynistic game are and its fucking dumb. You are a sheep from what I see that has no independent though and you follow a herd of people who want you to think a certain way.

you talk as if where gaming back in the days of Jack just replacing the word of Violence with Misogyny, No female has felt uninvited in game because its a hobbies we all hold even if they play phone games, I am so sorry people don't want to go to sites like Gawker and Kotaku and get shit on for being a gamer.
I didn't even SAY threatened.
Are you reading someone else's posts?

This is honestly quite hilarious.
They might be important to people playing them if they are affected by that sort of thing.
Y'know, maybe some women don't want to play a game that treats women like shit, for example?
And some gamers are women.
So... they'd want to know?

How is this hard to follow?

Anyway, Wikipedia. That'll tell you all you need to know, I guess, if you're looking for complete objectivity
Yes you didn't here, I have seen your other post there also full of bullshit. point me to one point where women are treated like shit in the modern day and people celebrated it like you claim. I really want to see this, In fighting games women are even more powerful then men. In shooting games women are very equal to men. Where does at any point treat them like shit?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Leoofmoon said:
Yes you didn't here, I have seen your other post there also full of bullshit. point me to one point where women are treated like shit in the modern day and people celebrated it like you claim. I really want to see this, In fighting games women are even more powerful then men. In shooting games women are very equal to men. Where does at any point treat them like shit?
Obviously my opinions bother you. I would suggest putting me on ignore if I bother you that much.
Or you could continue to be randomly hostile. Either way.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Phasmal said:
Leoofmoon said:
Obviously my opinions bother you. I would suggest putting me on ignore if I bother you that much.
Or you could continue to be randomly hostile. Either way.
You jsut back out of showing me proof.

Show me the game you where talking about that females feel threaded from, SHOW ME.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Leoofmoon said:

Show me the game you where talking about that females feel threaded from, SHOW ME.
I gave a `for instance` of why some social instance could affect a gamer.
You come in swearing at me and calling me a sheep for opinions I apparently hold that enrage you and then you wonder why I don't want to debate with you.

No. Go away.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Phasmal said:
Leoofmoon said:

I gave a `for instance` of why some social instance could affect a gamer.
You come in swearing at me and calling me a sheep for opinions I apparently hold that enrage you and then you wonder why I don't want to debate with you.

No. Go away.
That's amazing every thing one of you people any time I ask for proof you back out of it because you have nothing, I want to see the game where rape is treated as a good thing, I want to see where the killing of innocent women is celebrated and yet you back out every time because you have no proof that I can't counter with a fact.

All I have seen you do on this forums when it comes to this kind of topic is be very rude, one sided and never backing up your statements.