Any words that you simply CANNOT speak.

cthulhlu

Feb 21, 2011
i sometimes think i have a speech impediment, i will literally Forget how to say a word mid sentence, other times i slur like a drunken sailor, ive started doing little tongue twisters to force myself to speak proper

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Jaime_Wolf said:
I have yet to find the word that I can't pronounce if we're looking at my dialect/language specifically. Naturally, there are a lot of words in foreign languages that I have difficulty with (FUCK languages with contrastive aspiration).

But if we're speaking inter-dialectally, allow me to offer some fun ones that should hold for quite a few of you:
Can you pronounce a difference between pin and pen?
Between caught and cot?
What about line and loin?
Mare and mayor?
"Caught v. Cot" and "Mare v. Mayor" sound alike in my particular New Englander dialect.

OT: Hm. I can't think of many relatively common words that I can't pronounce (Meaning words like "Hippopatomonstrosesquipedaliophobia" are out, although I can pronounce that particular one), though I'm sure all of the "proper" British people would have issues with some of my pronunciations simply based on being an American.

However, dialects abound, and so some words don't come out sounding quite as phonetic as they might in a different accent. Most words with t's in them have the t muted. Take "muted", for instance. It comes out as "mew-did". Now, I do know the proper enunciation and can speak that way, but it's simply not natural for my dialect. The muddled enunciation also makes it fun when phrases like "Deus Ex" are put into conversation - Everyone always seems to hear "Day O' Sex". I mean, really? Do I have to put a full stop between the two words just to get the proper enunciation so people don't mistake that?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Don Savik said:
BlackStar42 said:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The longest place name in the UK.
Does Cthulhu's family live there or something? Goddam you cant even pronounce that many letters together lacking vowels.

It's Welsh - Most of those letters aren't pronounced in the same way. Ll and ch, for example, are singular letters in Welsh.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
A lot of people have told me I (and my brother and mother as well apparently) pronounce room funny. I don't think so but *shrug*.

On the topic though, I have a friend that always says "turrent" instead of "turret," and, it just bothers me.... so much. So much.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm capable of pronouncing any word in English, Latin-based languages or Japanese.

It occasionally takes me 3-4 tries, but I ultimately get it right.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Phonetically, not really- I have little difficulty sounding out any words I come across.

In practice, though? I've always been too scared to say 'Candlejack'. But, that's kinda silly- not like anything bad will come of i

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
The Virgo said:
StBishop said:
The Virgo said:
Fuck that shit.
Imagine being the scientist who discovered it and had to spend about five months trying to write down the name for the scientific journals. And something else I wonder: How does an editor or scientist know if someone misspelled that word?

Kheapathic said:
The Virgo said:
I almost want to say; "You're making that up."
I thought it was bullshit too when I first heard about it. Come to find out, though, it is the official name of the protein Titin.
I think the scientist who discovered it was just being a dick.

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
i used to pronounce linen "line-en". But i can't stand when people saying "drawring" instead of drawing, "drowring" is even worse.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
"Massa-two-shits"

lol, that's funny.

I guess I don't have any English words that I have difficulty pronouncing.

Edit: I know "breakfast" tends to be an issue with some people. My brother pronounces it breffikst.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
I have a slight lisp so I can't say th sounds properly. For example I can't say "both" it comes out as "boat" or instead of "loathe" it comes out as "load." But nobody seems to notice unless I if tell them so it doesn't really matter.

jhaughton

Nov 19, 2009
troyrich said:
I used to find it impossible to say innovative.. but i recently managed it somehow :p

Can;t say Anenome though (probably spelt wrong.. its the plant that Nemo lives in!) whenever i try i just get this stammer An...an...a...an...anena...fuckit!
damn you beat me to it

OT:what he said

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Princess_Dee said:
Rural.
I have so much trouble with it. And after a few failed attempts at correcting myself it comes out "RURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL."

Also ***sin***
The Russian word for son. "Sin" But draw the tongue back. "Selyn." "Scene." "Seehn."
Bah!! Minya eta ne nravitsa....
I just want to correct you. The grammatically correct version would be "Mne eta ne nravitsa."

OT: Anything scientific. I just give up after the first 3 letters.

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I have pretty solid pronunciation (not including languages outside of English or scientific names designed to screw with our heads).

However when I get 'flustered' I tend to stutter somewhat terribly and can't say any words at all...

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
I pride myself in being able to pronounce any english word (except the chemichal name for titin)

however I do think it is impossible to pronounce lil properly.
it always comes out as "little" or "liddle"

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The Virgo said:
A word that I simply can't speak? How about the full name of the protein Titin? It's 189,819 CHARACTERS LONG. THAT'S RIGHT, 189,819 LETTERS! I dare anyone to try and recite the full name. As the video shows, even with it being said at a rapid pace, the video is STILL over eight minutes long.

/thread forever
Out of curiosity, I looked up the formula for that...thing.

C[sub]169,723[/sub]H[sub]270,464[/sub]N[sub]45,688[/sub]O[sub]52,243[/sub]S[sub]912[/sub]

i.e. HOLY SHIT!