Apparently COD is a children's game?

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
I think I might have an idea why kids love it so much, you are basically going around shooting people and pretending to be 1337 but end up being n00bs

Also the fact that it is 18 might be another reason because playing a game or watching a movie they are too young seems to empower them, I'm pretty sure GTA was popular among kids (escpecially San Andreas)

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Red Orchestra 2 will fuck their shit.

So glad that RO (and BF3) will hopefully involve less screaming aspie teenage cocknobs.

Druss the Legend

Jun 6, 2009
I am so tired of these threads.

Seems to be the 'in' thing these days to hate on CoD and pretend your a big tough macho man who only plays Battlefield.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I hate running into young teenagers online. I hate their voices, their insults, their playstyle, and just about everything else about them.

My hatred of most things younger than me aside, I think they're drawn to it mainly because of the multiplayer. It's that whole sense of empowerment thing that they get by killing other people in a videogame where there is no consequence other than the other guy getting a little peeved at best and yelling at them at worst. I've never understood the sense of superiority that a lot of people apparently feel when they win in a videogame. Don't get me wrong, I like winning, but if it's not a challenge, I'm not enjoying myself.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Is it a childrens game? yeah it seems so insofar that a lot of kids play it but its certainly not just a childrens game I know a lot of adults who play it as well.

This reminded me of something that happened when I bought Mario Galaxy 2 I had picked up the game and was on my way to the checkout when I passed a bunch of kids near the 360 games (im not saying 360 is for kids its just where they were) who looked about 10 - 14 who then (for some unknown reason) decided to insult my game choice saying Marios shit and its a kids game and that COD is much better (note thats the general gist of what they were saying cant remember their exact wording).

I decided to have some fun so replied well if its a kids game why arent you playing it then? cant remember their reply think it went something along the lines of cos its shit and me being a noob or something so I just said well im over 18 and therefore an adult you lot are clearly under 18 and therefore children now I will be playing Mario you are (apparently) playing COD (think it was MW2, which they shouldnt be playing anyway technically but since when has that stopped anybody) so whos really playing the kids game.

So in short I would say games generally cant be clear cut so easily especially one with such mass market appeal as COD. Now if you had said its a blokes game that I could understand as almost all of the girl gamers I know dont or havent played it at all.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Wow. It's not every day that you hear someone compare harry potter, justin beiber and Call of Duty to one another.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
The game is easy and let's you kill people, little kids can't play hard games and have fun killing

Ritalynn

Sep 22, 2010
More kids play CoD then Halo now.

When a CoD 1st comes out it seems like a bunch of older people start playing. After a few weeks they quit because it becomes as boring as COD always becomes.

Kids stay hooked each game though, funny thing is kids like to get the max level and never prestige lol they just sit at max level and feel badass.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I'd say its for kids, yeah. Kids hopped up on sugar with the attention spans of autistic hummingbirds, but kids nonetheless.

Hedonist

Jun 22, 2011
I wouldn't agree with the statement that the game is childish because it appeals to children. Look at sports for example. Is football/soccer a childish game because millions of kids like to play it?

The fun thing about COD is that it doesn't require much thought, you can just turn of your brain and shoot things for a while.

Plague

Jan 13, 2011
That must be the most interesting gaming related article I've read in a while. When I was younger (late teens now so I'm talking about when I was 12ish) Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were all the rage. Why? Because everyone else played them. I play a little CoD nowadays but most of my FPS time is spent on CS. How did I start playing CS? Someone recommended it to me. I played CoD for the first time last year. Why? Because it's so hyped. I played just to find out what about it was so popular. I still play from time to time but it's mostly since none of my friends play CS anymore, it's nothing but CoD. It's quite clear popularity only leads to popularity.

As for saying mostly children play CoD, I disagree. It's a wildly popular game played by a large quantity of the population. This means that a lot of children play it, as do teenagers and adults.

Oh, and to everyone else; real men play CS!

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Well, I guess that Call of Duty is this generation's Sonic, Mario, or Spyro. Hatred is taught at a very young age, and combine that with horrible parenting and you get the problem children of tomorrow. I don't know, I guess I'm kind of biased, but would it kill people to smile and greet others with a friendly "hi" every so often? Either way, I'm not blaming those who enjoy CoD, it's not my cup of tea, but if it brings joy to them, then more power to them.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
COD isn't aimed at kids, but it's understandable why kids like COD. People of all ages, mainly males, enjoy shooting games. I love playing COD simply because it's a very fun game.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
being part of the 12-15 demographic i can safely say that CoD was bought by atleast every boy in my and the other and the other othre class had black ops ethier the first day of realease or the second and for the followling week "dude i got this mad as tomahawk from across the map" or "BALISTIC KNIFE DA BEST WEAPON EVAR!!" so i'm not suprised in the slightest