Apparently COD is a children's game?

Mattias Nugin

Jul 4, 2011
Now, I´m 15 (finished 8th grade), and a lot of my male classmates play games like CoD, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and other shooters(also GTA, and some even play Assassin´s Creed). If I ask them why, they say shooters are fun, cool, and there´s lots of blood. When Duke Nukem Forever was coming soon, a lot of them were hyped, I don´t even think they cared for the shooting and the main gameplay, they just wanted to see some tits and dirty jokes. When they asked if I was going to buy, and when I said no, they immediately tried to offend me and let me know I was totally uncool. I think what draws them to these games, is the M rating slapped on them.

Though some, but few have played non-M games like Portal (because it came with Orange box), Minecraft (a lot don´t play it, cause it´s too 8-bit) and like them. But they´d still buy Duke Nukem over Portal 2.

I don´t play shooters myself (I rather suck at them), and have a lot less Mature games: L.A. Noire, Uncharted and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Instead I have many fun "rated E for Everyone" games, and my favorites include Portal 2, LittleBigPlanet, Pokémon, Phoenix Wright, Ghost Trick etc.

I´m also into some competitive fighters (BlazBlue, MvC3 and SFIV), so yeah, competition also might attract some people into games.

What I think is funny, is that everyone thinks that owning a Nintendo DS makes a person childish, though they also think Nintendogs is the best game made on DS (they always want to play the game, even though they hate the DS).

Also, no girls in my class are into games. One girl just owns a PSOne, and that´s it (but she did like Pokémon).

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Children nowadays are ridiculously vulgar. When I was in elementary school "stupid" was a bad word. Now they all know how to say "fuck" so it's not too much of a surprise that they would like to play Call of Duty. Though that said when I was in elementary school I also liked to play Doom, which was like the equivalent back in those days I guess? Anyway the point is it's not a surprise that kids like things that are intended for older audiences, they always want to try and act "grown up" and what not.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Well it's obvious that it's not a kids game, that much is certain.

I think what it means is that CoD is immature.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
katsumoto03 said:
PoisonUnagi said:
katsumoto03 said:
Wait... Did you just equate Harry Potter with Justin Beiber? This entire article is null.
Well they're both depressingly average and uninteresting. They're kinda similar when you think about it.
Your existence makes me cry D:
Wow, that's new. A fellow Harry Potter lover?

OT: It's simple and it has lots of repitition, so it's obvious why kids might like it.

Feb 19, 2010
fi6eka said:
Midnight Crossroads said:
Zhukov said:
Midnight Crossroads said:
Have you ever had to drill in front of crowds of people who aren't in the military? It doesn't matter if crawling in the mud will save your life, grown men playing war games shouting, "BAM BAM BAM" at an imaginary bunker is not dignified, but it's damn more advanced than any video game on the subject matter. Seriously, pausing an entire movement because some guys kicked their soccer ball across our path.
Wait, complete tangent here, but... your army makes you yell, "BAM BAM BAM" at imaginary bunkers? And in front of spectators?

I never had to do that. We always got BFAs and blank rounds.

What country are you from?
The US. We had a public park nearby which had a wooded area which was easy to train on. We had paintball guns, but only used those on field training exercises. Otherwise we would use rubber rifles. This was for officer training though. I'm sure if it was basic or on an actual base, it would be with better equipment.
I envy you my friend.I had to run 8km to the shooting range, with full backpac, gasmasks and those horrible AK pauches which used to slam really nice againts your waist.
In Ireland, Soilders Use Airsoft Guns To train.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
dstreet121 said:
I don't know what's worse, these 8 year olds I know who play a lot of COD, or the fact that they can totally kick my ass (in the game).
Ive never played a COD game, but that comment made me laugh. And then laugh some more. And then cough several times as a result of being sick. Then try and laugh lightly, but cough again. :p

On topic; Easy: Its basic. Point, shoot. Die, respawn. Some people enjoy that simplicity. I can understand that. I guess.

captaincabbage said:
Well it's obvious that it's not a kids game, that much is certain.

I think what it means is that CoD is immature.
Yes. For the most part, it overdramatises and tends to take the ham-fisted approach to violence. Only without the fist.

hyker said:
I enjoy cod, I enjoyed since the first one (though I skipped through the treyarch games). The story is far-fetched and full of plotholes, but I don't care, multiplayer is still tons of fun.
And you are the best kind of COD player. You admit its story is silly, and would probably also admit that its largely unrealistic and immature. But you just enjoy it for what it is, and thats absolutely fine *Claps*

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, I guess so.

I do play COD black ops online quite a bit and have to admit I enjoy myself. But I have to add, enjoyment in such a shallow and unsatisfying way, I consider it the most casual game in my collection that I regularly play.

Yes, it has a lot of Hardcore dressing, but it's format is casual-tastic:
-Very short game modes, easy to drop in and out
-almost zero teamwork
-Almost zero strategy
-Those noob-tastic killstreaks
-Simple and powerful 'point-n-shoot' weapons

I've just come off the back of playing half way through Bioshock 2. Now I'll admit it is a compromised sequel of Levine's Bioshock but still I come away from it feeling much more satisfied, the challenges of fighting such deadly foes with a shortage of ammo and needing to mix and match weapons, ammo, tonics and plasmids in different tactics exploiting the environment.

It was overwhelming at first, I think if I'd been younger I would have abandoned it in frustration but it satisfies me on a deeper level. It's got a pacing I appreciate much more, exploring for loot and mystery, punctuated with random encounters and then large confrontations you can plan for, at least to a certain extent.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
CoD Bash Fail, it's not cool anymore, it was never cool. I understand that you're upset becuase you want to get a squad together on battlefield but all your- dang-nabbin- friends are playing CoD instead, but they can't help the fact that Fun is Fun, no matter where you have it. It doesn't make them "Noobs" or "Kids" or "lacking in taste" or "not a real man" or "fanboys", they're just enjoying some gaming!

In alot of peoples honest and humble opinions Infinity Wards multiplayer is more fun than Dices multiplayer. You need to wake up the fact that there's nothing wrong with it. Kicking ass on MW2 is more fun than anyother multiplayer game i have played in the last 2 years..for me. I will be buying CoDMW3 at midnight, and have booked a week off'f work to sit and play it in my underwear for 20 hours a day and frankly Battlefield wishes it could make me feel the same way.

Mar 30, 2010
Another week, another CoD bashing thread...

Speaking from actual first-hand experience rather than quoting from some article, the vast majority of people I meet in the CoD lobbies are pissed-up twenty-somethings slurring swearwords down the mic. I don't know what nationality the OP is, but over here in the UK CoD games have always carried
meaning it is illegal in this country for anyone under that age to buy or be sold a CoD game. Where we get all the infantile screamings from is games like Halo: Reach which only carries a PEGI rating, which is merely an advisory rating, meaning 12 year olds can purchase Halo in UK stores.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
It's this generations Halo really, all the young kids are having COD as their introduction to (console) FPS and because they don't have much to compare it to think it's the best game ever. Whereas an older audience can see that there are a lot more shooters out there with a much bigger experience than COD.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
CoD can appeal to multiple demographics of both casual and hardcore gamers. That's why it's become so popular and now makes more money than God. Maybe this whole "stagnation" that people keep talking about wouldn't be happening if other devs were able to do that.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:

Speaking from actual first-hand experience rather than quoting from some article, the vast majority of people I meet in the CoD lobbies are pissed-up twenty-somethings slurring swearwords down the mic. I don't know what nationality the OP is, but over here in the UK CoD games have always carried
meaning it is illegal in this country for anyone under that age to buy or be sold a CoD game. Where we get all the infantile screamings from is games like Halo: Reach which only carries a PEGI rating, which is merely an advisory rating, meaning 12 year olds can purchase Halo in UK stores.
actually Game retailers enforce PEGI aswell, atleast they did when I worked in Game, You could get a 5000 pound fine and get the sack if you didnt ID people who looked under 21.

Mar 30, 2010
The_Emperor said:
Grouchy Imp said:

actually Game retailers enforce PEGI aswell, atleast they did when I worked in Game, You could get a 5000 pound fine and get the sack if you didnt ID people who looked under 21.
Really? Well that's good to know, I suppose. I mean, kids are always gonna borrow their older brother's games and so on but having some enforcable regulations at least turns the 'violence in games' arguement around from 'it's the fault of the game industry' to 'it's your own bloody fault'.