Are gamers getting stupider?

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Redryhno said:
I'd say less stupid and more...wary. Overly so in some cases.

But I will say that The Last Night looks like a decent game, if nothing else it'll be pretty. And they aren't buying it because Quinn, they're buying it because some shitheads stuck their shitty heads into the past and decided to go play their own version of "WSJ vs. Pewdiepie". It's the same tactics, the same bullshit. And as usual, people that they called friend threw them under the fucking bus because instead of taking those tweets as 3-year old tweets, those people with the fecal-covered heads decided "I haven't keyboard warrior'd my way into Nazi Bashing Stardom yet, here's my chance!".

Also I've seen alot more people orgasming at the mere thought of shooting supremacists than I have with people having reservations(Far Cry 5 box art people? I know more than a handful of people in this community immediately went off the deep end of excitement off that damn thing alone, you know exactly who you are)...Most comments I've seen have just been about Nazis being about the lowest hanging fruit you can pluck off the "You can maim and torture me without reservation or conscience" tree. The Wolfenstein franchise name isn't really the discussion I've been seeing.

Also, no. We will never get past this retarded bullshit, not until whatever olive branches are extended don't end up being beatsticks. Not until people can stop immediately jumping to Nazi conclusions simply because they say something tame like "Trump's not doing much that can't be reversed". Not until game narratives can stop being hijacked by ego-masturbators(either by the writers or by the audience). Not until every minority character that gets introduced stops being introduced as the minority character and somehow depicted as immediately more capable, whether it be physically, emotionally, morally, or mcguffin-y, than the not-so-minority characters.

We will not get past this retarded bullshit unless people start respecting one another as people again. Not until we stop dropping each other in boxes based purely on a handful of political beliefs. And that's not going to happen anytime soon if this site is any indication.
Your post is incredibly brain-dead, also using retarded as an insult does not make you look cool, it makes you look like an ass.

Face it, lots of Trump supporters are racist assholes, and yes a lot of people did get butthurt over Far Cry 5(funny how those same people had no problems killing minorities in the COD series).

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
stroopwafel said:
I think internet echo chambers created this climate of people having long toes and short fuses, and this climate somewhat metastasized to wider society as regular media tries to extrapolate internet hate mongering and political correctness to compensate for their increasing irrelevance. As a result both the media and society have become very polarized.

I remember the late '80s and '90s as being way more relaxed. I feel somewhat sorry for adolescents growing up in this period. Espescially social media has done people no good. Statistics for mental illness are higher than ever. Our brains simply aren't designed to be 'connected' all the time and I think people collapse under the overload of information and grief of comparing themselves unfavorably to others and as such need an outlet to vent their frustration ie. implode on the internet behind surrogate issues. :p
More relaxed my ass, i'm glad I didn't grow up during the gay panic era, where lots of assholes thought only gay people had AIDS and treated them horribly.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Worgen said:
Fucken seriously are they? Cause with e3 it seems like some really dumbass people have wormed their way out of the woodwork.

We have people pledging to buy the last night, not because it looks good, but because it will make Zoe Quinn mad.

We have people complaining about killing nazies in the new wolfenstein.

We have people bitching about Life is Strange for existing and apparently being the dreaded sjw.

What the fuck. I thought we got past all this retarded bullshit?
I dont think /pol/ represents gamers as a whole.

darkrage6 said:
Those idiots pledging to buy Last Night to piss off ZQ apparently didn't realize that the developer of that game actually apologized for his tweets years ago and said that he no longer feels the way he did back then.
Didnt stop that Ubisoft dev threatening to pirate and seed the game for download, did it?

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
Dalsyne said:
Hey out of curiousity, did you actually see the asshat responses in question or are you just repeating what you were told.

And if you did, what exactly was it about them that was asshat? Trying to discern whether your dislike of them is purely ideological or rooted in a more reasonable thought process.

(edit: less loaded questions)
"Our game will take place in a world where modern feminism won instead of ~egalitarianism~"

"I find it interesting to show the dangers of EXTREME PROGRESSIVISM"

"I've seen feminist want artifical wombs so they can grow babies and continue drinking and smoking"

He also wanted to put Vivian James in it, because obviously (she has to be the one good female character in the game)

Who knows, maybe he's become less of a twat in 3 years
Oh you mean the ones where there is no proof of the guy ever having said that and the dude who originally accused the dev randomly vanishing of the face of the internet?

What do the kids nowadays say?
Cool story, bro.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
undeadsuitor said:
BloatedGuppy said:
undeadsuitor said:
"Our game will take place in a world where modern feminism won instead of ~egalitarianism~"

"I've seen feminist want artifical wombs so they can grow babies and continue drinking and smoking"

He also wanted to put Vivian James in it, because obviously (she has to be the one good female character in the game)

A game with "progressive, feminist villains" could be perfectly cool. Claire Underwood is an important and groundbreaking female character, every bit as much so as Wonder Woman.

The language being employed here suggests the individual in question was less concerned with writing interesting, offbeat villains and storylines than being 3 edgy 5 me, sadly.
I mean, he's not wrong in that artificial reproduction and Gene therapy are bad. It's just that the rich (both genders) and going to be benefiting more than just a femnazi government.

And given the ability to choose the gender of a baby in the womb, most cultures would choose one over the other....it would just be male instead of female (China isn't rushing to kill their male babies after all)

I doubt he's being edgy, it just sounds like Baby's first red pill epiphany than anything. The time in a young man's life when he starts to think feminism is bad because he (supposedly) has to hold open the door for women, the phrase "women and children first" exists but isn't used and doesn't affect anything, and he realizes that some women don't want to have children and can still feel fulfilled.
Feminazi is an incredibly stupid term that no sane person should ever use unironically.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
undeadsuitor said:

So let me get this straight. He:

- doesn't like feminism and wants to make a game wherein its bad aspects are highlighted

- wants to create a world where progressivism has gone wrong

- condemns behavior he finds distasteful

- wants to put a character you don't like in a videogame

- has engaged with people disagreeing with him in a very civil manner

This makes him a twat?

Well then. I hold the same views, undeadsuitor. Maybe even stronger ones than that. Am I a twat for having these opinions?

No, I'll tell you what he is. In any world beyond Bizarro, he is a very decent human being with individual preferences and opinions that has done nothing to draw ire from anyone not ideologically driven. Let me repeat this for you: very. decent. human. being. And I find it reprehensible that I even have to defend him in front of anyone. Such exclusionary, inherently intolerant judgements are wrong, repulsive and abhorrent.

BloatedGuppy said:
The language being employed here suggests the individual in question was less concerned with writing interesting, offbeat villains and storylines than being 3 edgy 5 me, sadly.
You're wrong in your assessment, Guppy. The game is not a shallow affair that never goes anywhere beyond being edgy.

Here's an article about the game's world. [https://medium.com/the-last-night-devblog/beyond-cyberpunk-71eacb8e8159] Regardless of how it ends up, you can't say there wasn't a considerable amount of thought put into this.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I encountered one moron today on Reddit, he said he was boycotting any game that did not have female enemies, I said that was one of the dumbest fucking things i've ever heard and he the gall to call me a sexist LOL. Wow that guy was brain-dead.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Dalsyne said:
You're wrong in your assessment, Guppy. The game is not a shallow affair that never goes anywhere beyond being edgy.

Here's an article about the game's world. [https://medium.com/the-last-night-devblog/beyond-cyberpunk-71eacb8e8159] Regardless of how it ends up, you can't say there wasn't a considerable amount of thought put into this.
I wasn't assessing the game. I was assessing quotes being attributed to the author of said game. If those quotes are accurate, they are very silly. This doesn't prohibit good writing or game design, but it makes it moderately less likely.

I don't really have an iron in the fire either way, as I haven't followed the game's development and have no stake in either its success or failure. It's just a hypothetical discussion about whether or not a "feminist villain" is in and of itself an outrageous concept (it's not).

EDIT: Skimmed the article. Anyone who liked "Her" can't be ALL bad. Best movie of the last few years!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
darkrage6 said:
Feminazi is an incredibly stupid term that no sane person should ever use unironically.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/8386/feminist-journalist-all-men-are-rapists-and-should-amanda-prestigiacomo

Replace 'men' with 'jews' and you get the idea.

Ill admit its a rather low standard of proof, but those kinds of feminist do, in fact, exist.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
To deny "progressive" politics in games, and then support this politically charged game makes a whole lot of hypocrites
I agree, but then we get devs who go and shoehorn in progressive politics into games regardless of how spectacularly it could backfire [https://techraptor.net/content/bioware-montreal-mass-effect-shelved].

So i say fuck trying to resist it, shovel in any kind of politicking you want and let the free market decide what it likes more.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
We're in year 4 of a movement about erasing politics from games, so much so that a trans person existing draws vitriol for being "political"

A movement that the developer is even a member of

To deny "progressive" politics in games, and then support this politically charged game makes a whole lot of hypocrites
We are in no such thing, the movement is about nothing like that, and any vitriol was due to shitty, hamfisted writing, something that the existence of OTHER trans characters written BETTER in other games clearly proves.

There is a lot of nuance you're ignoring in order to change the context. Are you interested in a reasonable conversation, or should I not even bother explaining?

Not wanting politics contrary to your views in videogames is a feminist critic's favorite pastime. I denounce it no matter who it comes from. Interestingly though, when feminists get accused of that they explain that "feminism is not a monolith" and you don't have to subscribe to all its details to be part of that movement (when they don't accuse you of misogyny, at least). If you agree with that argument, you agree with the idea that you can be part of Gamergate, be for artistic vision and uncensored speech, and not be a hypocrite. If you do not, then you must denounce all of feminism as hypocrites in order to be logically consistent.

So which is it? No special pleading. It's either, or.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've not heard of any of this, but that's mostly because I try and ignore E3 as much as I can. Even so the only one of those that surprises me is the Nazi thing and even then only slightly. As others have mentioned this is not so much a "gamers" thing as it is a "people" thing. People in general seem to have gotten a lot more stupid in the last decade or so, which is sad because they were already pretty stupid to begin with.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
People are generally getting stupider, if the ability to reason critically is used as a measure. This is probably largely due to the drastically increased amount of "information" (in quotes to emphasize the irrelevance of the factuality of the information) available, and the social pressure to appear informed. Nobody can make simple actionable sense out of the flux, so we fall back on the magical thinking inherent on being "on the right side" of issues, adopting slogans prepared for the purposes of political expediency as a cover for shameful confusion, no matter how convoluted or contradictory the ideas encapsulated in them are, or how deeply they conflict with the context of use. Just see the dominant "thinking" of the "Feminist" mainstream on the issue of ex-muslim women placed in mortal danger of retributive violence for abandoning an obviously patriarchal cultural system for one egregious example of the willing suspension of consistent reasoning endemic to our times.

I don't see gamers as especially bad in this sense at all. Furthermore, if the OP wants to specifically disparage the response to the shameful display at E3 (aptly described by Liana Kerzner as a "new low in gaming"), wouldn't the "Game Industry Discussion" subforum be a better fit for the thread? I would certainly be interested in sharing further thoughts on the issue there.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
You can be a part of gamergate and not be a hypocrite in this situation (which is why I said "a lot" of hypocrites instead of "all" ) but I think gaters should have some self reflection for a change when finally getting a political game they agree with.
Okay, I got what I wanted. Since you've shown consistency in your views, I can respect them even if I disagree. Thanks for not arguing in bad faith. I'll let this go since there's not much more that can be said beyond subjective explanations and contradictory opinions.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
*Reads OP's title*

Good question. It's been on my mind for some time now.

*Reads OP's post*

Oh, what even..with..huh?

---

I was hoping this would be about the massive problems games and gamers face today with regards to the quality of gaming.
Pre-ordering, Hype, QTE's, DLC, DRM, Bugs, MP, Micro-transactions, 'ports everywhere, skewed OTS cameras, etc.
Not to mention the fact that despite bloated budgets, with focus on graphics and marketing, these games are not only being bought but also make a profit.
Mind-boggling.

Shadilay

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
I thought this was going to be a thread about how dumbed down games were becoming and was all ready to trot off the old stories of Dishonored playtesters not going up stairs in a stealth game because a guard told them not to or Valve employees getting lost in a maze for half an hour because they didn't think to turn left.

Instead its just the usual politicized shite.