Are most gamers into metal music?

theklng

May 1, 2008
Skoldpadda said:
theklng said:
Skoldpadda said:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Myself, I'm not really into metal, but then again I don't go around calling myself "gamer".

I despise that self-imposed label.

No offense.
yeah, i always found player more preferable
Ahh me too :cool:

No seriously, that's not what I meant. It's more about the labeling than about the actual word making up the label. But it's personal preference and probably not very wise to go into on a gaming forum. :p

But I play games, lots of them. I'm just not going to identify myself with it, because of the danger of justified over-indulgence. And escapism is a bit of a slippery slope, for me at least.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

I'm one of those douches that likes Radiohead.
honestly gamer as bad a label as anything else. i wouldn't rather be an artist than a gamer, or a hipster or a metalhead; i would best be none of them. i hate it when people associate themselves with a group to boost their quantum sized self esteem, and usually the people who do are also the worst people to have any kind of conversation with, or do anything with.

stay out of your stupid-ass self-esteem-enlargement-imposed groups, realize you're nothing but a speck of waste in the entirety of the universe and get your own goddamn identity. people are the worst.

dcdude171

Oct 16, 2009
im a fan of alot of music , besides metal and country , my fav genres are punk , crunning " like frank sinatra " , indie , classic rock , 90s grunge , and acoustic , like john mayer jeff buckly stuff

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Flames66 said:
I don't know what the majority of gamers listen to. Metal would make sense though as alot of online gamers I have met are very impatient. I personally don't like overly heavy music.
Hold on, according to you impatience=metal fan? How does that work? Some of the metal I listen to has 20+ minute songs. I'd argue that pop, rap, and radio listeners in general have less patience since the average song in those genres is more likely the 3-4 minute range.

That being said, I have zero idea why gamers tend to like heavier music.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Embz said:
I dislike metal music. I prefer something I can sing along to easily
You can sing along easily to metal...

Sounds like you just haven't found a sub-genre you like.

EDIT: Also, I absolutely hate Death, Black, and Deathcore. Most bands in those genres try to be "hardcore" or "brutal" to, I don't know, get chicks or something. Argh.

That said, many of them are great with their instruments, and some of them are truly awesome, especially ones that are more thrash (Slayer, Venom).

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
I listen to rock and hip-hop ( I hate metal)

But I prefer hip hop over rock. The beats are just to smooth. Rock can get you pumped up, but at the same time its not really something you can listen to to relax.
Clearly you've not heard much sludge/doom metal. Glacially paced beats and droning riffs can be very relaxing.

NinjaKiwi

Jul 12, 2010
Personally I play Brutal legend just for the sound track...that and because the game itself is amusing. I'm into more the "classic metal" so Iron Maiden as opposed to Slip Knot. I love the guitar rifts and the heavy Bass but am not such a fan of the guttural vocals.

any for any ecsapist who considers them selves i metal head i highly suggest
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478209/

Its a documentary about the different kinds of metal form an anthropological point of view.
(i.e. metal as a distinct culture)

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Flames66 said:
I don't know what the majority of gamers listen to. Metal would make sense though as alot of online gamers I have met are very impatient. I personally don't like overly heavy music.
Hold on, according to you impatience=metal fan? How does that work? Some of the metal I listen to has 20+ minute songs. I'd argue that pop, rap, and radio listeners in general have less patience since the average song in those genres is more likely the 3-4 minute range.

That being said, I have zero idea why gamers tend to like heavier music.
I got the response earlier. I'm not saying that all metal fans are impatient, I'm saying that metal is designed to get your blood pumping. If a gamer is already impatient I don't think listening to metal will help.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Possibly. Metal is certainly my favorite genre, but I also like punk, jazz, hard rock, classic rock, etc. I even like hardcore and metalcore... which I know a lot of metalheads hate.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Nigh Invulnerable said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

But I prefer hip hop over rock. The beats are just to smooth. Rock can get you pumped up, but at the same time its not really something you can listen to to relax.
Clearly you've not heard much sludge/doom metal. Glacially paced beats and droning riffs can be very relaxing.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people haven't heard of sludge metal. I know I haven't

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

This is part 1 of "Dopesmoker" by Sleep. It's a total of 63 minutes or so.

It's very relaxing.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I am impartial to metal, mostly. Like some, but not much at all. Really, I have like maybe 3 metal albums I'll actually choose to listen to. Two of them are Dethklok (one for the lulz, two for the wow that's.....kinda good, actually), the other is TOOL. That's...about it. But, I am an avid gamer. So, no, I am certainly not in that majority.

But, I will take this opportunity to say the name Pretty Lights again. Pretty Lights, people! Pretty Lights!!! It's the illest.

I'll leave now...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DustyDrB said:
The problem is a lot of sludge gets slapped under different sub-genres by different people... and some other bands (mostly post-rock or drone) get classified as sludge by others. Further complicated that several bands commonly accepted as being sludge call their style 'post-metal' (a mix of sludge and post-rock).

Hell, one of my fave bands, Jesu, has been classified as all 4 by different people.

And just for something a bit different, here's some Stoner-Sludge from before Stoner-Sludge existed:

razbuten363

Jun 23, 2009
Used to be into metal a lot. I still have the long hair,a and whenever I hear Megadeth I rage, hard. Other than that, not much into metal anymore, neither are any gamers I know.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Metal is pretty awesome. I don't know many gamers that are into metal, but I know a lot of
Escapians that are.

Including myself ( TBDM FTW )

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
I think type of games is more likely to have a relation to the music tastes. For example, Id expect FF fans to be waaay more likely to know who Gackt is compaired to your average FPS fan.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm a gamer...and love power, epic, and Viking metal. I also love other forms of music, particularly classic rock and 19th-century Romantic Period classical music (from Beethoven to Strauss). Also hate hip-hop and country.

Does this make me a stereotype?