Are you sad that you're going to eventually die?

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
I somehow doubt that the guy that jumped from the WTC tower did so "calmly", but I digress.

Worrying about the inevitable makes no sense to me at all. We are here, we live, we die. What you choose to do during that time is entirely up to you, but sitting around wringing your hands in fear of the unknown is just a waste of the short life you have.

Whoa, that was deep.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I think about it from time to time, but looking forward to what might happen in death. That and I will finally be able to catch up on all the sleep I missed in my life.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Death comes to call for everyone--there's no getting around that. I'm not sad that I'll die one day--but I would be if I'd lived a wasted life.

New Vegas Samurai

Dec 12, 2010
I realize that it does scare me,

That's why I tend to value my time more nowadays, it's all we have before the Reaper takes us out on his '65 ford mustang of doom

I have no qualms about death, but I'd still like to think that there's enough time to do something about it

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Lagao said:
I dont care what anyone says here. Everyone is afraid of death. No one wants to die. everyone is scared..whats going to happen to them..where will they go..whats next.

If you say you aren't scared..you will be.
I imagine death isn't like facing off against Darth Vader in a hollowed out tree on Dagobah. I provided a perfectly apt example of dying in a hospital bed under heavy sedation. It's fairly common. My dad went in for routine shoulder surgery and almost kicked the bucket from complications. He didn't fear death... because he was in a coma (hallucinating like crazy). And again, I really REALLY hope we don't go anywhere and just fade into nothingness. I'm telling you kids, you must be fairly sheltered. You know that saying about life sucking? It really does.

Cpu46 said:
I used to... a lot. Now I'm better. It's really quite fascinating and totally terrifying to think about it when you don't believe in an afterlife though.
I mean think about what a "soul" would actually consist of. It's you, sans memories or any signs of relatable personality. If people with alzheimers can lose every single definable personality trait and memory in their brain due to disease, imagine what a complete lack of oxygen does. That has to mean that a soul is whatever is left over, unless our entire human development is stored in a backup magic jar somewhere. And frankly, I don't want to exist on that level, either being tortured for eternity or uninterrupted bliss. Existence is boring enough already, but probably even worse as a mindless infantile energy.

Once as a child, I almost drowned. It was utterly terrifying and in many moments I hoped and prayed for some sort of angel or entity to pull me out of the water and let me live for a second more. In retrospect, I wasn't so much afraid of death, so much as drowning, which is awful. As long as I stay away from water, drowning probably won't happen. And maybe, MAYBE, I'll get a comfortable death. Of course, if I'm ill (which I most certainly will be) I'll be in horrific pain and suffering long beforehand. Shouldn't I be more afraid of that inevitability than death itself?

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
I've got time, I guess. (assuming I'm not hit by a car or something)

The fact I'll cease to exist doesn't ever really bother me.

Though, taking into scope the insignificance of that existence might.
When I get to that point in my life, I'd hope there is more than wasted time.

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
I am not saddened by my death. I am saddened that my name may not be remembered after I die.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Nah, not really. Right now it looks like I will die eventually so there's no point in getting all upset about it. Sure I'll try to keep living the best I can, but I realize I've only got so much time in this life. Might as well make the best of it while I can.

Father of Worlds

Mar 25, 2010
Life only has meaning because it's finite. If I was going to live forever, than no particular act would be significant - after all, eventually I'll be faced with that choice again. But I'm only going to live, probably, about 80 years, give or take a decade or two. What I do with that time matters. I may have thousands of days to live, but if I waste one, I'm never getting it back. My choices and decisions matter precisely because I won't live forever.

As I put it a while back - We are alone, we are doomed, and I am glad of it.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I sort of hope it happens soon sometimes, actually.

Outside of those times, though, no. I am pretty indifferent. If it happens, whatever. If it doesn't, no big deal. It's all the same to me, really.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Handofpwn said:
I am not saddened by my death. I am saddened that my name may not be remembered after I die.
I used to be like that a couple of years back but be not afraid beause your loved ones and those closest to you can and most likley would pass on your name wether it be from mere mention or possibly your great grandchild may be named after you.

A lot of people yearn to be remebered after they pass on while others wish to just be forgotten but what you must believe is that there will always be someone who will remember you.

I hate my father i really do for what he is like and even though he's dying i will go to his side when nearing his final moments to thank him for having brought me into this world and that i shall remember him not for being quite the bastard but for being my father and some of the good times we had i will share.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
How can you guys possibly say that it does not make you sad? That you aren't worried? What's wrong with you?!

I think about it every day... I know that one day I will die, and that makes me sad... but knowledge of that fact motivates me to make use of every moment I have. I want to accomplish a lot before I die. I want to leave my mark on this world. It's echoed in the reminder I have written on my whiteboard, clear to see when I wake up every morning: "Carpe Diem, don't fuck up." Seize the day, make it count, or you will regret it.

To say that the thought of dying does not make you sad is the most nihilistic thing I've ever heard. To say that you don't care about death is to say that the fact that your life, and all of the experiences and feelings and moments in it, will one day cease to exist, does not bother you one bit. Without death, life is meaningless.

When I hear you guys say it, all I hear is, "Oooooh, I'm a tough guy, I don't fear death, I fear nothing." Which is complete bullshit. It's like... The non-conformist shtick...when they say, "I don't care what other people think." Truthfully, the guy who ACTUALLY doesn't care what other people think is that homeless guy on Yonge St. lying on a public bench in broad daylight in a puddle of his own filth.

My point is... You say "I don't care that I will one day die" and then go on to say, "I'd rather spend my time enjoying myself." Oh, fuck off. If you really didn't care, then you'd be content to just sit around all day every day playing Halo or Starcraft 1, in a swampy cloud of pot smoke. The only reason you get up to go to work is to fund your gaming and pot smokery. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but come on, there's got to be more to it than that. Don't you have ANYTHING you want to do with your life? The thought of such a meaningless existence is depressing...Just the thought of it makes me sad. Hey, I guess if I were in your shoes I wouldn't care that I were going to die either...instead I'd feel sad about that fact that I have to continue on living.

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Handofpwn said:
I used to be like that a couple of years back but be not afraid beause your loved ones and those closest to you can and most likley would pass on your name wether it be from mere mention or possibly your great grandchild may be named after you.

A lot of people yearn to be remebered after they pass on while others wish to just be forgotten but what you must believe is that there will always be someone who will remember you.

I hate my father i really do for what he is like and even though he's dying i will go to his side when nearing his final moments to thank him for having brought me into this world and that i shall remember him not for being quite the bastard but for being my father and some of the good times we had i will share.
I want to be remembered by more than the people who love me. I want to make my mark on society, have a great accomplishment. I either want to accomplish something big or die trying.

So i guess i should say i fear not making my mark on the world.

EdwardOrchard said:
How can you guys possibly say that it does not make you sad? That you aren't worried? What's wrong with you?!

I think about it every day... I know that one day I will die, and that makes me sad... but knowledge of that fact motivates me to make use of every moment I have. I want to accomplish a lot before I die. I want to leave my mark on this world. It's echoed in the reminder I have written on my whiteboard, clear to see when I wake up every morning: "Carpe Diem, don't fuck up." Seize the day, make it count, or you will regret it.

To say that the thought of dying does not make you sad is the most nihilistic thing I've ever heard. To say that you don't care about death is to say that the fact that your life, and all of the experiences and feelings and moments in it, will one day cease to exist, does not bother you one bit. Without death, life is meaningless.
Except i truly dont fear death. Fear of death doesnt make one seem tough or anything else, it just means their priorities are elsewhere. As I said, I dont fear death, I fear what I may or may not leave after my death.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
EdwardOrchard said:

When I hear you guys say it, all I hear is, "Oooooh, I'm a tough guy, I don't fear death, I fear nothing." Which is complete bullshit. It's like... The non-conformist shtick...when they say, "I don't care what other people think." Truthfully, the guy who ACTUALLY doesn't care what other people think is that homeless guy on Yonge St. lying on a public bench in broad daylight in a puddle of his own filth.

My point is... You say "I don't care that I will one day die" and then go on to say, "I'd rather spend my time enjoying myself." Oh, fuck off. If you really didn't care, then you'd be content to just sit around all day every day playing Halo or Starcraft 1, in a swampy cloud of pot smoke. The only reason you get up to go to work is to fund your gaming and pot smokery. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but come on, there's got to be more to it than that. Don't you have ANYTHING you want to do with your life? The thought of such a meaningless existence is depressing...Just the thought of it makes me sad. Hey, I guess if I were in your shoes I wouldn't care that I were going to die either...instead I'd feel sad about that fact that I have to continue on living.
"Welcome to the Escapist please enjoy your stay".

PurkinjeFiber

Jan 21, 2011
Not sad, no. Without getting into a religious discussion, I'm really curious about what existence is like after death. I feel sad thinking of the loved ones I'll leave behind, though.

Also, this is my first post. Is there a good place to say hey and introduce myself a little bit?