Arrogant Sony Is At It Again: Does Sony Think You're Worthy Enough to Preorder a PS5?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I wonder how many Platinums or 100%’s they’ll set as a minimum barrier to entry. Even if I put my id into the hat I wouldn’t want one until there’s a slim bundle with either Bloodborne 2, Silent Hill Reboot, or some other surprise.

Also I didn’t watch Jim’s video, but did he come down to earth to mention any of the points several people in this thread made about curbing the resale exploits, or was it just his usual pompous spiel as that stupid aristocrat asshat?
He never busted out the Aristocrat Alter ego but yes, it was mostly his usual Jim Sterlingness. None of the even potential unintended positives were brought up in the video.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think I might have cared about this if I wanted to get it on day 1 but as I have zero interesting in a day 1 ps5 I don't mind at all. I think this is more something they're doing to get market data and whatnot.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And given the ridiculous markups you typically see in this kind of situation (wasn't the NES Mini getting sold off for nearly triple the asking price at one point?), those people will have to really want one.
Yeah, we see that with everything, when I got my Index I could have just thrown it on ebay and easily gotten at least $500 more than was spent on it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
You know, the funny thing is Sony says they are doing this because of limited quantities of PS5, but I am willing to bet that there is plenty to go around, but most of them will be given to the influencers and us regular folks are left to fight for the limited numbers.

Thinking about it, I am for sure that I won't be getting PS5 during the launch; I am already happy with my PS4 Pro, and also flat-broken XD

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan and Kae

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...So ultimately, we're trying to get people's knickers in a twist over Sony doing what is fundamentally a rewards-program style presale?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
...So ultimately, we're trying to get people's knickers in a twist over Sony doing what is fundamentally a rewards-program style presale?
Pretty much this. I don't get what the big deal is outside of the optics of the whole thing not being great. I very much doubt Sony is doing this to get positive reviews from influencers to get people to buy the PS5. Who has ever cared about the hardware review of a game console like ever? The PS4 literally didn't play MP3s on launch, no one really cared. Sure some people care about specs and which system is most powerful but you don't need a hardware review to know that. I'm pretty sure neither system has a super shiny looking launch title to show off the graphics either. Plus, how are you going to influence people to buy a system that isn't going to be readily available anyway?

You know, the funny thing is Sony says they are doing this because of limited quantities of PS5, but I am willing to bet that there is plenty to go around, but most of them will be given to the influencers and us regular folks are left to fight for the limited numbers.
There was computer part shortages BEFORE the pandemic let alone during the pandemic and afterward.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There was computer part shortages BEFORE the pandemic let alone during the pandemic and afterward.
Didn't know about that. I still think Sony would give a good portion of the already limited number of units to the influencers, and rest becomes pretty much a large scale game of musical chairs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't know about that. I still think Sony would give a good portion of the already limited number of units to the influencers, and rest becomes pretty much a large scale game of musical chairs.
If DarkSydePhil get's an influencer Ps5 I'll never buy another Sony product again.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It's not stated that influencers are getting PS5s though.
Not just that, they won't be handing out millions to influencers because there aren't that many bloggers and YouTube leeches out there.
There'll be plenty of, albeit limited, stock for normal folks.

If people don't like Sony's pre-order program then they're free to go and enter pre-order lists at normal retailers 🤷

Fuck internet outrage culture.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not just that, they won't be handing out millions to influencers because there aren't that many bloggers and YouTube leeches out there.
There'll be plenty of, albeit limited, stock for normal folks.

If people don't like Sony's pre-order program then they're free to go and enter pre-order lists at normal retailers 🤷

Fuck internet outrage culture.
Yeah, pretty much this. Every little thing is the worst thing that's ever happened. You'd think there'd be more perspective in the midst of a pandemic though.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, pretty much this. Every little thing is the worst thing that's ever happened. You'd think there'd be more perspective in the midst of a pandemic though.
Perspective requires self-reflection, and some people would turn to stone at the sight of their own visage. So they don’t bother.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If DarkSydePhil get's an influencer Ps5 I'll never buy another Sony product again.
I think even Sony would not want associate with a douche that big.

I'm not that worried, but you should take that as a warning sign. While there are worst things out there, that should change the fact what Sony's doing can lead or show signs of worse problems to come.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
At launch there will be nothing but ubisoft and activision crap anyway so who cares. By the time the good games come out there will be plenty in stock. Sony isn't even really marketing the PS5 at this point.

Reactions: gorfias

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
At launch there will be nothing but ubisoft and activision crap anyway so who cares. By the time the good games come out there will be plenty in stock. Sony isn't even really marketing the PS5 at this point.
Ubisoft and Activision titles are (most likely) going to be Multiplatform with the Series X so a few hot exclusives for launch are probably going be in order.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I guess this excludes most hardcore weebs who bought Neptunia and VN * rimshot*

Reactions: SupahEwok

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I guess this excludes most hardcore weebs who bought Neptunia and VN * rimshot*
Laaaaaammmmmeeee.

I don't see much joy in them not getting a PS5. At least a couple of them are going to get the new console. The ones that play Neptunia or other similar types. Plus you admitted yourself you used to play those games. Hate to be a broken record (you're not helping as you're one yourself), you're not exactly better than them.

Edit: While we are at it, can we not derail this into a I hate weeaboos and I'm a self hating weaboo thread? Because I'm not having this conversation with you over private messaging either. It's a waste of time and patience. You want to do that type of topic, create your own thread for it please.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren