Arrogant Sony Is At It Again: Does Sony Think You're Worthy Enough to Preorder a PS5?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Perspective requires self-reflection, and some people would turn to stone at the sight of their own visage. So they don’t bother.
It reminds me of one of the best things GW Bush said, about how we too often judge others by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

People liked/upvoted/etc. the hell out of that, but I always wondered what percentage of that crowd actually understood it enough to bother looking in the mirror and doing some self-assessment.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
reminds me of one of the best things GW Bush said, about how we too often judge others by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.
As much as I dislike Bush, he has a point. Even though him and his administration screwed up the economy. Tough at least he put in some effort compared to Trump. Please save any other political topics for the current events forum please.

Point is, a lot of people can use a lot of self-reflection, but there are a lot of people that don't want to right now.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm not that worried, but you should take that as a warning sign. While there are worst things out there, that should change the fact what Sony's doing can lead or show signs of worse problems to come.
A warning of what? Unless there's something uncovered here, it's literally just Sony rewarding dedicated fans with the option to buy a PS5 that will be in limited supply. The PlayStation brand has been around for 25 years now, you should know Sony by now. There's a lot more skeletons in other gaming companies' closets than Sony. And that's not even just jabs at Microsoft and Nintendo, check out what just recently happened with MSI on the PC gaming side. Even if this is worst case scenario and this is Sony getting PS5s out to influencers, soooooooo what? Isn't that what every company does nowadays to like every new product released? And if this was just a way to get PS5s out to influencers, why does Sony need create some fake preorder "contest" to do it? It's a conspiracy theory that doesn't make any sense.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Laaaaaammmmmeeee.

I don't see much joy in them not getting a PS5. At least a couple of them are going to get the new console. The ones that play Neptunia or other similar types. Plus you admitted yourself you used to play those games. Hate to be a broken record (you're not helping as you're one yourself), you're not exactly better than them.

Edit: While we are at it, can we not derail this into a I hate weeaboos and I'm a self hating weaboo thread? Because I'm not having this conversation with you over private messaging either. It's a waste of time and patience. You want to do that type of topic, create your own thread for it please.
I reserve the right to quip about how the Japanese game lineup for the PS5 will be mediocre at best.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A warning of what? Unless there's something uncovered here, it's literally just Sony rewarding dedicated fans with the option to buy a PS5 that will be in limited supply. The PlayStation brand has been around for 25 years now, you should know Sony by now. There's a lot more skeletons in other gaming companies' closets than Sony. And that's not even just jabs at Microsoft and Nintendo, check out what just recently happened with MSI on the PC gaming side. Even if this is worst case scenario and this is Sony getting PS5s out to influencers, soooooooo what? Isn't that what every company does nowadays to like every new product released? And if this was just a way to get PS5s out to influencers, why does Sony need create some fake preorder "contest" to do it? It's a conspiracy theory that doesn't make any sense.
Do what you wish. I won't be obsessed, but I will still take a small eye on it.

I reserve the right to quip about how the Japanese game lineup for the PS5 will be mediocre at best.
Then please make a thread for it? This is about Sony's arrogance and and trying to say who's "whorthy" like the console is Thor's fucking hammer. I'm serious that I will not ask a third time. So if you want to talk about crap like that, make another thread.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Do what you wish. I won't be obsessed, but I will still take a small eye on it.
Let me put it a different way: What's even worth keeping an eye on about it? We aren't talking about general purchase limitations here, we're not talking about under the table deals, we aren't talking about general exclusivity. We're talking about a first wave of invitations to pre-order being limited in scope and, by all appearances, presumably targeted at dedicated users who would be more likely to be interested in such invites.

To be blunt, this isn't even a skeevy business practice, it was just spun in a very clickbaity way so it would wound your pride.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not that worried, but you should take that as a warning sign. While there are worst things out there, that should change the fact what Sony's doing can lead or show signs of worse problems to come.
I'm afraid I just can't give it to you. We live in a world where when something that people think will be in demand comes out and within less than a few minutes all the preorders are snapped up by bots for people to sell on ebay and such, where if you really want one you will have to pay exorbitant prices or wait till the scalpers get tired of holding onto stock while waiting for the company to manufacture more to meet inflated demand. I mean this sucks for new users but this is a way to vet buyers to limit the impact of botters just snapping up preorders. I mean they don't even have to wait for the item to come out, they can just put the preorder up for sale and make money. As weird as how they are doing this, this is a decent method to counter act that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm afraid I just can't give it to you.
At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'm not here for your approval nor do I give a shit in this case. I like you and respect you, but that's not why I made this topic. I do concede to you, @Asita, @Dirty Hipsters, and @hanselthecaretaker other points to it an extent about the scalpers and stuff. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony's marking up making pre-orders for a console they haven't even priced yet. The same applies to Microsoft as well. They can do all these fancies state of plays and Xbox showings, all they want and make it look pretty and all, but they still won't reveal a price point for stupid obvious reasons
I know you've already noticed this, but we're in a really bad economic recession right now. Again. That's what pisses me off. They have the gall to do this crap and they know most people aren't even going to afford this or don't want at the moment. I don't know how to say it any other way right now. It's what I've been saying since the first post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kae

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
That's what pisses me off. They have the gall to do this crap and they know most people aren't even going to afford this or don't want at the moment.
Poor people can't buy expensive new products, what else is new?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Poor people can't buy expensive new products, what else is new?
Not much, but worse in new ways. Thank you very much. Had Sony at least revealed the price point earlier on (instead of being hesitant and doing some arbitrary waiting game with the competition), I would give them some leeway. But no, they had to present their cake and then stick their dick in it.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not much, but worse in new ways. Thank you very much. Had Sony at least revealed the price point earlier on (instead of being hesitant and doing some arbitrary waiting game with the competition), I would give them some leeway. But no, they had to present their cake and then stick their dick in it.
We pretty much know the price point will be at $400-$600 and almost certainly won't be as low as $400, so probably $500-$600. Why is it any difference when the price is announced? You either have the income to be able to afford a new system or you don't. When you put the cost of other hobbies into perspective, video gaming is a really cheap hobby to have. Hell, a lot of people have phones that retail for console prices and above (and they replace them far more often than Sony or Microsoft expects you to replace your consoles). And, Nvidia just released info on their new video cards and the cheapest one is $500. I couldn't care less if Sony and Microsoft literally wait till release day to reveal the price, it's a game they're playing with each other and really has nothing to do with me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'm not here for your approval nor do I give a shit in this case. I'd like you and respect you, but that's not why I make this topic. I do concede to you, @Asita, @Dirty Hipsters, and @hanselthecaretaker other points to it an extent about the scalpers and stuff. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony's marking up pre-orders for a console they haven't even priced yet. The same applies to Microsoft as well. They can do all these fancies state of plays and Xbox showings, all they want and make it look pretty and all, but they still won't reveal a price point for stupid obvious reasons
I know you've already noticed this, but we're in a really bad economic recession right now. Again. That's what pisses me off. They have the gall to do this crap and they know most people aren't even going to afford this or don't want at the moment. I don't know how to say it any other way right now. It's what I've been saying since the first post.

Did Sony officially say their preorders would come at a premium? That would be messed up if so. Not as messed up as paying double or higher on eBay when supply runs out, but still.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why is it any difference when the price is announced?
because they're acting like incompetent dick bags that think they know what they're doing.

I couldn't care less if Sony and Microsoft literally wait till release day to reveal the price, it's a game they're playing with each other and really has nothing to do with me.
I have similar mindset (which I mentioned in an earlier post), but doesn't mean I will be quiet about calling out bullshit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did Sony officially say their preorders would come at a premium? That would be messed up if so. Not as messed up as paying double or higher on eBay when supply runs out, but still.
I don't know. Probably going to have to look into that one yourself

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
That still doesn't change the fact that Sony's marking up pre-orders for a console they haven't even priced yet.
...I'm sorry, what? Where are you seeing anything about a pre-order mark up?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...I'm sorry, what? Where are you seeing anything about a pre-order mark up?
Sorry about that. that was a mess up on Google speak and I didn't check. Grammatical error. I meant to say making pre-orders for a console that has not been priced yet. My bad and sorry for that mistake there. Did not mean to confuse everyone

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think the only skin I'll have in this game is PS+. Now that PS3 and Vita are no longer supported, that's 4 fewer games I get a month. When the PS5 comes out, even if I don't own one yet, can I claim their free monthly game at their website? Though, even if not, likely not a tragedy. PS4 took some time to get PS+ games worth a dang.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the only skin I'll have in this game is PS+. Now that PS3 and Vita are no longer supported, that's 4 fewer games I get a month. When the PS5 comes out, even if I don't own one yet, can I claim their free monthly game at their website? Though, even if not, likely not a tragedy. PS4 took some time to get PS+ games worth a dang.
Skimming it down to two free games was and is still bullshit.

Reactions: gorfias

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'm not here for your approval nor do I give a shit in this case. I'd like you and respect you, but that's not why I make this topic. I do concede to you, @Asita, @Dirty Hipsters, and @hanselthecaretaker other points to it an extent about the scalpers and stuff. That still doesn't change the fact that Sony's marking up making pre-orders for a console they haven't even priced yet. The same applies to Microsoft as well. They can do all these fancies state of plays and Xbox showings, all they want and make it look pretty and all, but they still won't reveal a price point for stupid obvious reasons
I don't see what the connection is between the console not being priced and you being upset that Sony is choosing who gets to preorder the console.

It seems like you're upset at Sony for completely different reasons, and are just looking to be upset by this news story, which is pretty much literally non-news.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't see what the connection is between the console not being priced and you being upset that Sony is choosing who gets to preorder the console.

It seems like you're upset at Sony for completely different reasons, and are just looking to be upset by this news story, which is pretty much literally non-news.
Believe whatever you want, don't care. Already said my piece. You either get it or you don't.