Artist Plans To Ship Self Cross Country With Only LotRO For Company

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
LotRO as a post traumatic stress simulator, yup that sounds about right. Thats how I'd describe my experiences with it at least.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I've just had a though, this guy could get trolled hard, so very very hard.

Since Lord of the Rings Online is free to play, what's to stop 100 people joining, finding his character, then standing around him in a square so they box him in on-line too, essentially creating a 'man-in-a-box-in-a-box-of-men-in-a-box'.

It may even be a bit of performance art in itself, i.e boxing in a man online who has boxed himself in a crate IRL to study PTSD, and giving him and/or his only personal PTSD too.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, I agree with a lot of people that the shipping part seems a little unnecessary.

Why not just lock himself in a bathroom and a mini-fridge. Board up any windows and don't leave/talk to anyone for a week or so.

Shipping yourself just seems silly.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
this is, at the same time, the most awesome AND the dumbest thing in the history of ever...

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Krantos said:
Yeah, I agree with a lot of people that the shipping part seems a little unnecessary.

Why not just lock himself in a bathroom and a mini-fridge. Board up any windows and don't leave/talk to anyone for a week or so.

Shipping yourself just seems silly.
This is a response not only to you but to the numerous other posters who have the same question.

I believe that the reason he's shipping himself is so the jostling he will undergo in transit will make him uncomfortable to simulate the general discomfort those afflicting PTSD can experience.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
This guy just wants to play LOTR online all the time without feeling as though he's wasting his life...

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
I dislike how liberally the term performance art is used by individuals who are not engaged in an form of meaningful medium. Even turd on toast can be performance art and often is, in an age where true artists are sadly a rarity. We used to Say everyone's a critic, nowadays it seems everyone is also an artist

So he is Isolating himself in order to replicate a "trauma" and then simultaneously attempting to seek support thru an online game to prevent the onset of PTSD ??? and this is art how as fact this is science how as it is common knowledge that Support groups are extremely beneficial to individuals with PTSD

As we do not know the exact causes of PTSD or even how to accurately diagnose it there are a lot of variables at play here . who, if anyone would experience PTSD by being isolated in such a way IE: having an ongoing and dynamic support group, being given time for metal preparation, being aware of the location and duration of the transit, Having ample access to air ;food and water, having a comfortable position to sit in etc...

I say go round to his house put him in an uncomfortable cramped box with only tetris for the original game boy and no replacement batteries then ship him in abject darkness to Abu Dhabi. Then when he gets back and is terrified of isolation then we throw him in a box and ship him across America to run his "performance art" experiment

"a pretentious exercise in absurdity" could not have said it better myself

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Fasckira said:
Whats he going to do about food, water and toileting? Or is he just going to do without?

All seems a bit pointless, the same results could be achieved by locking him in a crate ... and thats it. No need to ship him anywhere unless they're testing how good his mobile broadband connection, batterys and ability to endure being knocked around in a crate.
I suppose the rough and tumble of living inside a crate being shipped across a country would simulate some kind of traumatic stress?

I dunno that's the best I can gather from it...

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
His journal was found and it read:

Day 1: I made my Hobbit bard or something. All I know is I play music!

Day 2: I met some other hobbits and we went questing

-All other days were removed except for this last one-

Day 201: I'm finally max level, I give up..............*The diary trails of into an unreadablt language blieved to be elvish*

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It's absurdity, and all I can say is that I hope this guy doesn't support his artwork through federal/goverment contributions.

See, the guy is an artist, not a psychologist, psychiatrist, or anything of the sort as far as I can tell. He doesn't have the basic foundation to be doing research on the subject to begin with, all he can really do is make an "artistic statement" about it, and really I don't see that as being paticularly constructive, nor do I find his way of doing it as being paticularly profound or insightful, rather it seems to be a gaudy attempt to grab attention for himself, and only tenatively connected to the issue at hand.

I'm one of those who believes that certain standards should be involved with artwork before any credit is given, especially when it comes to performance art... which seems to be an excuse for people to do stupid things 'cause they can. That's a slippery slope, and I understand the idea about how "standards" contridict "artistic freedom" but the very fact that this guy is getting attention for something like this sort of summarizes why I think we need tighter standards.

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
i don't think it will effect him cause he is choosing to do so, i believe most people just get immersed into it and start to hate or forget the outside world.