Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
That would be really cool. I think that would be a great choice for a location. Has there ever been another game set in that time period, in France, during the revolution?

I just hope they get rid of the begging women and unstable folks who shove you at every turn.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Arsen said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Arsen said:
Meh, I wish videogames would stick to certain formulas and time periods, I for one am not thrilled about this regardless of how well it can be pulled off. It's a waste of a setting and a time period to put it in a game such as Assassin's Creed. I for one, love stories set in certain places and times I love, such as the French Revolution, however I feel at length it'll be a trivialization of the time period.

I honestly wish a setting such as this wouldbe purely reserved for a different media. Books, movies, music, etc...

Call it this outlandish and illogical, but I can't stand it when something good has the possibility of being thrust towards an audience who doesn't appreciate the time period at hand. To them the game comes first, not the beauty and astounding detail of the culture itself.
There is always the possibility that this one will do it right? I appreciate the pearls to swine argument but honestly, they've got to keep trying and learning from their mistakes. Setting a video game in a new and interesting period means people who love the setting will play the game and people who love the game will learn about the setting.
Though I may or may not have expressed this properly, I love history. I equally love the aspect that the average human being or American doesn't delight in it. It feels special to me. Now here they are taking something I love to read about, love to understand the time period of...and they are making "a game" of it.

In other words: Damnit, they are taking something I like that isn't too popular and are just giving it to those on a certain level who can't get into it any other way.
Well thanks you've just described everyone who likes to play a game based in a historic setting as dumbwits who don't know shit about history themselves. Excuse me but I know all too well what happened at the crusades and at the French Revolution. Not to mention every FPS that was set in one or the other world war, that's history being 'bastardised' too according to you right?
Well I disagree. Yes there are people who like reading about this stuff, yes there are dumb people who don't even know who Napoleon was. But there are also people who know their history but rather than reading through books they like to see it come alive. Musea did a great job at this some time ago by making films about dinosaurs or certain historic battles, but now that the technology grants us the power to infuse it into a game thus making it come alive even more, why would that be an insult to history?

*exhale*

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Rumour or fact, a game in revolutionary France that isnt just a Total Waresque game sounds awsome.

That said, the last assassin's creed was just amovie ninja's jumping about hack n slash in the Holy Land. I dont know if Id like to see movie ninja's in Directorate France. What will be the final one? Movie ninja's in 1917 Russia (where you no doubt kill Rasputin as the end boss)?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Sennz0r said:
Well I know about the setting, and I like the game, but I still can't get the picture of overly decorative castles, gardens, tights and silly piano music out of my head.
I'm sure you'll start out somewhere in the slums or something between the beggars and whores but to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Hell, I mostly found the French Revolution to be an elaborate exercise in "F***, we killed all the smart people." I think setting the game in London during the time of Queen Elizabeth or Henry VIII would be way more interesting. Catholics and Protestants are fighting like bloody murder, which keeps with the themes of the original game, and culturally several foreign nations are itching for a fight.

But hey, French Revolution could be cool too.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.
Okay, okay. Lets adjust for training and cost of equipment. Where do you get off calling early modern European warfare unmanly? It's not like knights and samurai were particularly 'manly' in that they basically just rode around killing poorly armoured peasants. And if anyone starts any bullshit about "samurai don't ride horses" I'll kneecap them.

Cost of one samurai: a life time of training, discipline and very expensive weapons.
Cost of one musketeer: 3 bob and a few weekends practising at the range.

In fact, warfare isn't manly, its horrible, bloody and always ends in death. And I'm joining the army sometime soon!

Anyway, wasn't this thread about the setting? I think revolutionary France would be a pretty awesome one.
War is sweet to those who have never experienced it - Pindar

Also, ololololol saymurai nevar used armor nor did they evar use anything but swordtanas nor did they ever kill peasants or be dicks nor did they ever abandon their code of honor. :D:D:D

While I do severely doubt they'll get the gravity of the situation right, given that this hits a bit closer to home for Ubisoft than the crusades might give it a chance. It's not like it's impossible. I'd say Call of Duty 2 was pretty respectful of WW2 and got the tone right.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.
Okay, okay. Lets adjust for training and cost of equipment. Where do you get off calling early modern European warfare unmanly? It's not like knights and samurai were particularly 'manly' in that they basically just rode around killing poorly armoured peasants. And if anyone starts any bullshit about "samurai don't ride horses" I'll kneecap them.

Cost of one samurai: a life time of training, discipline and very expensive weapons.

In fact, warfare isn't manly, its horrible, bloody and always ends in death. And I'm joining the army sometime soon!

Anyway, wasn't this thread about the setting? I think revolutionary France would be a pretty awesome one.
Yes, samurai once rode around on horses cutting off heads of peasants. It was cruel, it was horrible.

But, as you said, these people also made fighting their life. The Samurai developed codes of honour, became extremely traditional. They actually did fight for their honour, souls and homes.
I can't really say a musketeer who spent 6 days at bootcamp has the same values as Samurai. Apart from the occasional patriot most of these people were drafted forcibly, thus making them unmotivated soldiers. It's not the effectiveness of the numbers and equipment I respect here. It's the devotion and drive of the people who choose to live in this way.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Sennz0r said:
Well I know about the setting, and I like the game, but I still can't get the picture of overly decorative castles, gardens, tights and silly piano music out of my head.
I'm sure you'll start out somewhere in the slums or something between the beggars and whores but to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Hell, I mostly found the French Revolution to be an elaborate exercise in "F***, we killed all the smart people." I think setting the game in London during the time of Queen Elizabeth or Henry VIII would be way more interesting. Catholics and Protestants are fighting like bloody murder, which keeps with the themes of the original game, and culturally several foreign nations are itching for a fight.

But hey, French Revolution could be cool too.
Actually English Religious Violence was nothing compared to The French Religious Wars that occured before Louis XIV's reign (he recinded the Edict of Nantes, which previously ENDED the French Religious wars).

As one of my history professors put it "Very few people in England were willing to die for their faith"

If you don't believe me look up The St. Bartholemews Day Massacre and Henry Navarre, they're pretty good keystones for understanding the period.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Sennz0r said:
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:

Yes, samurai once rode around on horses cutting off heads of peasants. It was cruel, it was horrible.

But, as you said, these people also made fighting their life. The Samurai developed codes of honour, became extremely traditional. They actually did fight for their honour, souls and homes.
I can't really say a musketeer who spent 6 days at bootcamp has the same values as Samurai. Apart from the occasional patriot most of these people were drafted forcibly, thus making them unmotivated soldiers. It's not the effectiveness of the numbers and equipment I respect here. It's the devotion and drive of the people who choose to live in this way.
These same Samurai who would regularly kill insolent peasants and even Asian historians say were pretty regularly no better than tyrants or bandits? Kind of like the Knights developed a code of chivalry and then only applied it to knights. People with power like that in that time period were dicks.

EDIT: Scratch that, people with that kind of unquestionable power period are dicks.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Hmm...I really dont know if im guessing this. I liked AC...liked. But it was repetive, the story was crap, the end was a kick in the nuts, combat was boring...basically there were a lot of problems. I have Ubisoft could do better, these are the guys who created PoP and BG&E after all. Just have to wait and see. Frend Revolution does sound intresting though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I wouldn't have ever guessed the French Revolution, I was almost sure it'd be set over in the Far East. This is awesome, I'm now looking forward to playing it even more! ;D

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Actually English Religious Violence was nothing compared to The French Religious Wars that occured before Louis XIV's reign (he recinded the Edict of Nantes, which previously ENDED the French Religious wars).

As one of my history professors put it "Very few people in England were willing to die for their faith"

If you don't believe me look up The St. Bartholemews Day Massacre and Henry Navarre, they're pretty good keystones for understanding the period.
I believe it, I just figured the game was confined to 1789 to 1799 since the guy said French Revolution.

I think I just have a softspot for the whole Christopher Marlowe, Bill Shakespeare culture.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
The only questions I have are-

"Do I wear pantaloons?"
"What do I have in my arsenal?"
"How easy is it to go kill the general population of the lower classes?"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Sweet. I'm always up for a change of location. Better than France during World War II, and now we get to run around in it before the place was bombed into rubble, instead of during said bombings.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
It has the potential to be a good game, I think, as long as they put a little more variety into the chores you have to do before the assassination

frozenshad

Nov 28, 2008
this could be a good idea

they could make the main character english and the assassination targets french, perhaps, even napoleon as a final target? (i know it isn't historically accurate but it would be fun)

making the main character english could explain how desmond is an american while his ancestor was from the holy land

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Sennz0r said:
to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Yep, they spoke English in Jerusalem whenever the original was set, but in this game they will speak the native language..

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
TGLT said:
Sennz0r said:
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:

These same Samurai who would regularly kill insolent peasants and even Asian historians say were pretty regularly no better than tyrants or bandits? Kind of like the Knights developed a code of chivalry and then only applied it to knights. People with power like that in that time period were dicks.

EDIT: Scratch that, people with that kind of unquestionable power period are dicks.
When they developed these codes they didn't kill innocent peasants anymore. So yeah at fist they were no better than savages but they developed.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
D_987 said:
Sennz0r said:
to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Yep, they spoke English in Jerusalem whenever the original was set, but in this game they will speak the native language..
I don't like French....

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Sennz0r said:
TGLT said:
Sennz0r said:
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:

When they developed these codes they didn't kill innocent peasants anymore. So yeah at fist they were no better than savages but they developed.
The code of Bushido, much like the code of Chivalry, stopped nothing. Samurai are not super human saints. They were people with a lot of power and weapons. They were in fact usually the ONLY people with weapons that weren't mildly modified farming tools.

There's a reason peasants had to learn to fight with farming implements.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
Actually French Revolution sounds amazing. Sure China would be interesting, but I definitely give Ubisoft Montreal for picking a event and time that isn't very well explored by video games.