Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Sennz0r said:
D_987 said:
Sennz0r said:
to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Yep, they spoke English in Jerusalem whenever the original was set, but in this game they will speak the native language..
I don't like French....
That was my way of letting you know hat I'm sure the game will be in English - if they spoke English in Jerusalem, why would they suddenly decide to make the characters talk in their native language? Even Ubisoft (who, incidentally are French) arn't that stupid.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
D_987 said:
Sennz0r said:
D_987 said:
Sennz0r said:
to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Yep, they spoke English in Jerusalem whenever the original was set, but in this game they will speak the native language..
I don't like French....
That was my way of letting you know hat I'm sure the game will be in English - if they spoke English in Jerusalem, why would they suddenly decide to make the characters talk in their native language? Even Ubisoft (who, incidentally are French) arn't that stupid.
They might be :)

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
gigastrike said:
France, eh? This is surprising.

Why? Ubisoft is French...

And well, I'd personally prefer a Feudal Japan time, -BUT- I'm well aware the samurai/ninja thing has been done to death and back... So maybe this might be interesting. After all, the only rifles that existed at the time were exceptionally slow shooting, often more so than a trainer archer, so the addition of these types of guns shouldn't affect the melee-based-assassinations at all...

...I hope.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Sennz0r said:
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
Sounds more like irrational prejudice to me. Seems like you would prefer "Marcus Fenix" as the main character or something.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Sennz0r said:
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
Sounds more like irrational prejudice to me. Seems like you would prefer "Marcus Fenix" as the main character or something.
Maybe it's irrational and it's most certainly stereotypical, but if I wanted Assassin's Creed 2 to be like Gears of War I'd say "why won't they make a game like Gears of WAR?" *yada yada yada fanboy blabbering ensues. No. I would've prefered it to be around a society that has a code, honour. And for me this happens to be a civilisation famed for its prowess in martial arts and ways of the sword. Not gunplay.
I actually have no love for the gun age, hence my disappointment when I found out Fable 2 kicked out my lovely bow and replaced them with guns, and at the same time was completely overjoyed when I heard Mirror's Edge could be finished without firing a single shot. However I am no hypocrite, I do play shooters, and enjoy a number of them. However I prefer melee combat and primitive ranged weapons far above firearms. I find them more a sign of valour and skill, as opposed to firearms, which are used by the ones who need more power than they are physically capable of creating.

Well this sounds a lot like survival of the fittest doesn't it :)
Let's just keep this within games, please, and most of all within the topic of warfare. Don't go and transfer this into everyday life.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I personally doubt that Revolutionary France is the best setting for an Assassin's Creed sequel... and that's not just because of the idiot "French-bashing troglodyte" demographic in the US making it a tough setting to market. You'd need to do some serious tap-dancing to make the Hashashin have any significance in 18th century Paris... so the title itself will be a bit awkward, or you run the risk of ending up with another stereotypical "conspiracy group" in your plot.

I think turn-of-the-19th century Europe in general is a good and unexplored setting for games, myself; just not really a good place to set a sequel to a game set in 12th century Jerusalem.

-- Steve

The Kind Cannibal

Aug 19, 2008
I thought it would be set somewhere in Japan, considering all the Asian clues they gave you at the end of the game.

Meh, this is a pleasant surprise in the full extent of the word. I wasn't going to play it if it was another damn ninja/samurai game.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Ace of Spades said:
If I get to run up and assassinate Robespierre in High Profile, I will be very very happy.
You should be able to at least make the shot that shatters his jaw.

The Rusk

May 25, 2008
Sennz0r said:
I find this statement a little confusing. If you're in their country, surely it's you who should make the effort to speak their language? Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but that just seems moronic to me.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
the rusk said:
Sennz0r said:
I find this statement a little confusing. If you're in their country, surely it's you who should make the effort to speak their language? Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but that just seems moronic to me.
I was only there for five days, and although I do speak a little French, it's a tourist town. I came across more foreigners than actual Parish people over there, sure they cater to these people who also have only a minimal grasp of the French language. When you're city is a tourist attraction, I think you should do a little effort to the person who is in need of your help to make yourself understandable. It's common decency. This guy just mouthed something in French, stood there, and walked away when I asked him what he just said.
I live close to the German border so quite a number of Germans come into the store where I work. When they ask me something in German, am I not supposed to help them instead of demanding they learn Dutch before they ask me something? Same thing with tourists.

This only happens to me in France and the French part of Belgium, mind you. The rest of the countries I visit try their best (sign language, couple words in English) to just communicate with me. It's just that a lot of French people are too 'proud of their country' to speak any other language besides French.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Pray to The Light they won't re-use the infinitely flow-breaking sin of having a dude sitting in a genetic memory machine causing "glitches" in the graphics perpetually.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sennz0r said:
Maybe they, you know, don't know a language they have never been taught and will probably never have to speak.
People in Paris never hear or speak English? YEs that might be true for a part of the population as this is the case in any country but that sounds highly unlikely, especially in such a city.
And even then they could have the decency to just make it known they don't understand what I'm saying instead of just saying something back to me in the fastest French I've ever heard. Didn't understand it but I'm pretty sure by is intonation he was calling me names.

Saevus

Jul 1, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Well I know about the setting, and I like the game, but I still can't get the picture of overly decorative castles, gardens, tights and silly piano music out of my head.
I'm sure you'll start out somewhere in the slums or something between the beggars and whores but to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Are you fucking joking?

The revolutionary events almost entirely took place in Paris, which was filthy, overcrowded, violent, and starving - that's WHY there was a revolution. The only 'decorative castles and gardens and silly tights' would be the minority of nobles sitting around in Versailles or the Tuileries, or Jacques Trop-d'Argent sitting in his chateau which was promptly torched by angry serfs intent on erasing the manorial records that kept them practically enslaved.

Stereotypical views on time period does not understanding of the setting make.

Sennz0r said:
I was only there for five days, and although I do speak a little French, it's a tourist town. I came across more foreigners than actual Parish people over there, sure they cater to these people who also have only a minimal grasp of the French language. When you're city is a tourist attraction, I think you should do a little effort to the person who is in need of your help to make yourself understandable. It's common decency. This guy just mouthed something in French, stood there, and walked away when I asked him what he just said.
I live close to the German border so quite a number of Germans come into the store where I work. When they ask me something in German, am I not supposed to help them instead of demanding they learn Dutch before they ask me something? Same thing with tourists.

This only happens to me in France and the French part of Belgium, mind you. The rest of the countries I visit try their best (sign language, couple words in English) to just communicate with me. It's just that a lot of French people are too 'proud of their country' to speak any other language besides French.
The French are infamously picky about their language, and you think they're jerks for it; therefore, the French Revolution is a bad setting for the next Assassin's Creed.

Sorry, but it doesn't pass the giggle test.

And just for reference, armies at that time weren't 'unmanly' and reliant on 'wimpy' guns. They were successful because of drilling, rather like the Romans.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
That would be an awesome idea, and extremely original. How many other games have used that setting? As far as I know, NONE.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Sennz0r said:
And even then they could have the decency to just make it known they don't understand what I'm saying instead of just saying something back to me in the fastest French I've ever heard. Didn't understand it but I'm pretty sure by is intonation he was calling me names.
Heaven forfend, I can't imagine why... *eyeroll*

-- Steve