Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
*sigh* I miss Paris, oddly the only mean person I ran into in France was a particularly grumpy transit official, and I'm pretty sure he was unpleasant because he was a transit official, not because he was French.

Jul 9, 2008
Sennz0r said:
(again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
I lol'd. and I really hope you aren't serious.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Saevus said:
Are you fucking joking?
Well no I'm not joking. It's excactly my point that in my MIND when I see something being depicted in that time I see posh castles and people in tights with funny piano music.

I mean seriously, what's the first thing that crosses your mind when you hear the word French? And don't tell my it's nothing stereotypical. Only a French citizen would have no stereotypes in his mind on hearing that word. Same for every other country. I'm sorry it's the first thing I thought of, and it didn't appeal to me.

I damn well know there wasn't a revolution because everyone was living happily and hygenically in their 20 room castles. I also acknowledged I knew about the poverty and the slums. It's just not the first thing I think of when I hear "France around 1700'.

Also, this:

The French are infamously picky about their language, and you think they're jerks for it; therefore, the French Revolution is a bad setting for the next Assassin's Creed.
Is NOT my argument. It was me elaborating on how a couple French people made my holiday that much more difficult because they refused to help me out, thus me having a general dislike for them.

Please quote me when I said it wasn't a good idea to have Assassin's Creed take place in France during the Revolution. I was merely voicing my opinion, why I would have prefered it would take place somewhere else. Why I'm not jumping through hoops out of glee at hearing this rumour. It might be the most brilliant setting ever, it just doesn't sound that great in my ears.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sennz0r said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Sennz0r said:
to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).
Maybe they, you know, don't know a language they have never been taught and will probably never have to speak.
People in Paris never hear or speak English? YEs that might be true for a part of the population as this is the case in any country but that sounds highly unlikely, especially in such a city.
And even then they could have the decency to just make it known they don't understand what I'm saying instead of just saying something back to me in the fastest French I've ever heard. Didn't understand it but I'm pretty sure by is intonation he was calling me names.
Or he was saying "I'm sorry, I don't speak english". You know, one of the two.
Could be, but I'm pretty sure I would've understood the word "Anglais" when it was said by that person.

Anton P. Nym said:
Heaven forfend, I can't imagine why... *eyeroll*

-- Steve
Your sarcasm is evident, sir, and lightly out of place since you were not there.

Anyway I'm not here to discuss my - to you rediculous - prejudice towards certain people.
Can we please get back on topic?

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
I hope this rumor is true, I would LOVE to play a game set during the French Revolution, especially if it's during the "reign of terror" period. Also, Flintlocks and Rapiers.
I second that. Fuck yeah.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
TheCheesy4 said:
It would be neat if it were set in Sparta.
Don't even start....

And as for the game, I think it'd be very....interesting....to see a game set in that particular time period. I don't know whether we'd be controlling Altair or one of his descendants, but I do know that I will be very upset if AC2 doesn't clear up some of the many mysteries introduced by the first game.

*cough*PieceOfEden*cough*

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Sennz0r said:
I revise that statement, they did make firearms. I apologise.

However one thing I will stand firm on: The Cinese - just like the Japanese - didn't fight like wimps. Even with the introdustion of firearms large groups (e.g. Samurai) still didn't use them, and stayed true to their traditions. And kicked ass at it too.

No they did not kick ass, they all died for bringing a shitty sword to a gunfight.

Saevus

Jul 1, 2008
Sennz0r said:
It might be the most brilliant setting ever, it just doesn't sound that great in my ears.
For entirely personal reasons that amount to little more than some bad personal experience and stereotypes entrenched in your mind - that's the evidence that you've given.

When I hear French the first thing I think of is a language, the second thing I think of is classes in that language, and the third thing I think of is Paris (mental images of Notre Dame de Paris and bakeries, primarily). Some people think of cuisine and alcohol. Some people think of mustached dudes in berets riding around on bikes and playing accordions. Some people think of frogs. I fail to see how there are more stereotypes surrounding 'French' than 'Arabic', and your suggestions of 'ancient China' and 'feudal Japan' carry even more stereotypes and connotative baggage.

Have you said "This is bad and will be detrimental to the game"? Nope. Have you implied it? Everywhere.

TomNook said:
Sennz0r said:

However one thing I will stand firm on: The Cinese - just like the Japanese - didn't fight like wimps. Even with the introdustion of firearms large groups (e.g. Samurai) still didn't use them, and stayed true to their traditions. And kicked ass at it too.

No they did not kick ass, they all died for bringing a shitty sword to a gunfight.
I lol'd. "It is dishonourable!" is always the excuse of a noble-military class when they're confronted with a weapon that lets anyone fight and thus threatens their power.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
TomNook said:
Sennz0r said:

I wouldn't call the Katana a shitty sword, it was perfect for its purpose...

Which was you know, duels and killing unarmed/unarmoured peasants.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
TomNook said:
Sennz0r said:

I wouldn't call the Katana a shitty sword, it was perfect for its purpose...

Which was you know, duels and killing unarmed/unarmoured peasants.
Against a guy with a rifle it wasn't a very good weapon is all I'm saying.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Saevus said:
Sennz0r said:
It might be the most brilliant setting ever, it just doesn't sound that great in my ears.
For entirely personal reasons that amount to little more than some bad personal experience and stereotypes entrenched in your mind - that's the evidence that you've given.

When I hear French the first thing I think of is a language, the second thing I think of is classes in that language, and the third thing I think of is Paris (mental images of Notre Dame de Paris and bakeries, primarily). Some people think of cuisine and alcohol. Some people think of mustached dudes in berets riding around on bikes and playing accordions. Some people think of frogs. I fail to see how there are more stereotypes surrounding 'French' than 'Arabic', and your suggestions of 'ancient China' and 'feudal Japan' carry even more stereotypes and connotative baggage.

Have you said "This is bad and will be detrimental to the game"? Nope. Have you implied it? Everywhere.
YES! My point is not that there are more stereotypes surrounding France than there are surrounding Arab countries. My point was simply the stereotype that came to my mind was not appealing to me, as some stereotypes do appeal to me. Personal taste. Thank you for saying every culture has these kinds of stereotypes.

Yes my ranting could be perceived as if I would try to say that the French revolution is a bad setting. I won't take it back, since you can perceive my comments as stating: "this will be a bad setting". However perceptions are entirely up to you, and since I never meant to say this will be a bad setting, and was merely saying the setting doesn't appeal to me at first I cannot say I ever meant to say the setting would be bad. Maybe I just need to let it sink in, see some screenshots, hear some of the backstory.

With that I would like to end this discussion. It seems I should think twice before mentioning a particular grudge as means for disliking a particular setting.

Saevus

Jul 1, 2008
Sennz0r said:
With that I would like to end this discussion. It seems I should think twice before mentioning a particular grudge as means for disliking a particular setting.
At this juncture of mutual understanding, I second this motion.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Well, the first Assassin's Creed was a big pile of disappointment, so I'm not buying this anyway. Do what you wish, Ubisoft! You ain't getting my money...

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Saevus said:
Sennz0r said:
At this juncture of mutual understanding, I second this motion.
I'm glad we could come to an understanding :)

Now, I'm still not too sure about the setting though. I mean great they might've chosen the time and country they're going to put the story in, so that means the main storyline is already partially fixed.

Still it is much too vague, since a lot of things happened in the Revolution. As what do you start? You can't be yet another one of the Assassin's from Arabia I believe. Since at the ending of Assassin's Creed the blood writings showed us that one part of the entire story took place even before the events in AC, so surely that was a different civilisation and should this story also have a different civilisation at its core?
Also where do you start? The slums? Or as one of the king's guard?

This can still go into any direction, just like the first title; if they revealing it would take place during the crusades meant nothing.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Sennz0r said:

Thing is when you learn how to fight with a firearm you get so used to being able to shoot once or twice and kill a guy, that you have no clue what to do when you miss and he comes too close. Resulting in freaking out. Resulting in death.

EDIT: Chinese used guns starting around 1368 AD
The Japanese used guns. The Japanese LOVED guns.
Ever hear of the battle of Nagashino?

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:

Thing is when you learn how to fight with a firearm you get so used to being able to shoot once or twice and kill a guy, that you have no clue what to do when you miss and he comes too close. Resulting in freaking out. Resulting in death.

Both used guns.

But can we please leave this alone I just kinda signed an armistice here :p

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:

Both used guns.

Yeah, fine, just don't go misinformed about Japan 'round these parts. I, and about thirty other people are all well-informed assholes who will not hesitate to correct you.
Now go try some Sake. It's delicious.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Eruanno said:
Well, the first Assassin's Creed was a big pile of disappointment, so I'm not buying this anyway. Do what you wish, Ubisoft! You ain't getting my money...
I'm willing to give them the benefit of hte doubt, the first one wasn't as amazing as it could have been, but now that they know what they did wrong they can always improve on it for the sequel.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:

Both used guns.

Yeah, fine, just don't go misinformed about Japan 'round these parts. I, and about thirty other people are all well-informed assholes who will not hesitate to correct you.
Now go try some Sake. It's delicious.
I just noticed a terrible amount of typos in my post that you quoted. Gonna correct that in a minute...
Not saying Japanese didn't use guns. I'm saying certain traditional groups didn't.

Reall? Never tried sake, can't seem to find it over here.