Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Assassin's Creed was disappointing and annoying. I know that Ubi made tons of money, but I hope they realize the mistakes they made.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
berethond said:
mokes310 said:
I just hope they get rid of the begging women and unstable folks who shove you at every turn.
But that's the defining part of the French Revolution.
No no no...I'm talking about those "special" characters who would push you into a gaurd at JUST the right time to squander your entire memory...

20min planning my attack, slowly killing gaurds one by one, getting close to the target only for a nutter to push you into a guard and ruin your entire plan: PRICELESS!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I hope you get to travel all over Europe in this game. Go to London, Rome, Paris, should be fun.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
I don't think we'll have a rifle as our main weapon... they were single shot ones, right? So, a pistol will probably replace the throwing knife, and the other weapons will probably stay the same (with some tweaks here and there, to stay consistent with the time period).

As for the time period, I'm not going to say anything until I get my hands on the game, I liked the first Assassin's Creed because of the freedom it gave me in my acrobatics (reminded me of Prince of Persia), so I suppose I'll keep my eye on this one.

Luno

Sep 18, 2008
don't want to drop any spoilers but considering the ending of assassins creed i was definitely thinking the sequel would be set in feudal japan or something. ninjas and samurais wahey!

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
I can see myself getting my Scarlett Pimpernel on. I don't think this has been a historical period or conflict that has been covered deeply by gaming in the past, and I'd like to see it open up. Can you imagine the cobbled streets of Paris with the musk of revolution in the air?

Hell yes!

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
So.....this could be a very easy game. 8/

If the targets of French, won't they just give up mid battle? xD

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Sennz0r said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Sennz0r said:
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
Sounds more like irrational prejudice to me. Seems like you would prefer "Marcus Fenix" as the main character or something.
Maybe it's irrational and it's most certainly stereotypical, but if I wanted Assassin's Creed 2 to be like Gears of War I'd say "why won't they make a game like Gears of WAR?" *yada yada yada fanboy blabbering ensues. No. I would've prefered it to be around a society that has a code, honour. And for me this happens to be a civilisation famed for its prowess in martial arts and ways of the sword. Not gunplay.
I actually have no love for the gun age, hence my disappointment when I found out Fable 2 kicked out my lovely bow and replaced them with guns, and at the same time was completely overjoyed when I heard Mirror's Edge could be finished without firing a single shot. However I am no hypocrite, I do play shooters, and enjoy a number of them. However I prefer melee combat and primitive ranged weapons far above firearms. I find them more a sign of valour and skill, as opposed to firearms, which are used by the ones who need more power than they are physically capable of creating.

Well this sounds a lot like survival of the fittest doesn't it :)
Let's just keep this within games, please, and most of all within the topic of warfare. Don't go and transfer this into everyday life.
Alright, fair enough. I understand this too, I always consider it more honorable to have a "duel" instead (TANGENT: France is still "king of Fencing" right?) but I'm sure guns in Assassin's Creed could work, just look at Mirror's Edge. I never liked the first one to begin with but I don't expect guns to completely ruin it.

J-Man

Nov 2, 2008
Doesn't sound that good to me. Personally I'd like a modern-day 'Creed', set in some Middle Eastern or African country. When I went to Morroco and walked around the markets it totally felt like I was in some game.

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Sennz0r said:
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.
Okay, okay. Lets adjust for training and cost of equipment. Where do you get off calling early modern European warfare unmanly? It's not like knights and samurai were particularly 'manly' in that they basically just rode around killing poorly armoured peasants. And if anyone starts any bullshit about "samurai don't ride horses" I'll kneecap them.

Cost of one samurai: a life time of training, discipline and very expensive weapons.
Cost of one musketeer: 3 bob and a few weekends practising at the range.

In fact, warfare isn't manly, its horrible, bloody and always ends in death. And I'm joining the army sometime soon!

Anyway, wasn't this thread about the setting? I think revolutionary France would be a pretty awesome one.
Yes, samurai once rode around on horses cutting off heads of peasants. It was cruel, it was horrible.

But, as you said, these people also made fighting their life. The Samurai developed codes of honour, became extremely traditional. They actually did fight for their honour, souls and homes.
I can't really say a musketeer who spent 6 days at bootcamp has the same values as Samurai. Apart from the occasional patriot most of these people were drafted forcibly, thus making them unmotivated soldiers. It's not the effectiveness of the numbers and equipment I respect here. It's the devotion and drive of the people who choose to live in this way.

It was toward the end of the Samurai that they had developed their code of honor. Prior to their code, the samurai had been arrogant and where extremely vicious when a good chunk of them became Ronin. The code was designed to instill a path for and something to believe in when these people had been essentially cast aside as useless or outdated. war was their life because they had no other choice originally. War is hell and none of it is manly. Whether a man kills another man with great skill or he kills with 3 weekends of training. Certainly the thought of death by sword or bow is more romantic than someone being shot with a rifle or blown up with some bomb with the person never having to see the target.

EDIT: Oh and the game taking place during the French Revolution could make for an interesting setting.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
I'd prefer the Russian Revolution, myself. Talk about a subject never explored by gaming!

Much more exciting, IMO... dozens of competing factions... anarchists, communists, other kinds of anarchists, loyalists, and everyone with their own idea of how it should work. THAT would be a good setting for an assassination game.

But, of course, it's Ubisoft... so it'll have to be France, won't it? :(

mechabrae

Nov 29, 2008
J-Man said:
Doesn't sound that good to me. Personally I'd like a modern-day 'Creed', set in some Middle Eastern or African country. When I went to Morroco and walked around the markets it totally felt like I was in some game.
Wouldn't that just be a re-run of the original game, only with guns instead of bows/crossbows?

Personally, I'd love to see a game set in the French Revolution, and a game based around assassination has a lot of scope in that particular time period. My only concern is that Ubisoft won't make full use of the setting and there'll be more flag collecting.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
So, does this mean that the entire ending of the first game, with its many hints to Asia and South America was completely pointless and irrelevant? And we're supposed to believe that the Templars/Abstergo were somehow involved in the French Revolution?

Sorry, but I really hope that the guy's talking out of his ass when he says it's set in the French Revolution, because if it is, they've basically said "So, you liked the first game? Well up yours, it wasn't canon".

insane44

Nov 16, 2008
I think that ubisoft montreal deserves props for setting a game not in middle earth ,space ,world war 2,or,the war in iraq and another assassins creed would be another breath of fresh air in the ocean of unoriginal game ideas

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Wouldn't that just be a re-run of the original game, only with guns instead of bows/crossbows?

Personally, I'd love to see a game set in the French Revolution, and a game based around assassination has a lot of scope in that particular time period. My only concern is that Ubisoft won't make full use of the setting and there'll be more flag collecting.[/quote]

I figure they'll do away with a good chunk of the collecting. It'll probably be more balanced out and I'd expect the combat to be more along the lines of the new Prince of Persia. Last time they spent a lot of time building the engine and prettying the game up. Now they don't have to do all that, they can focus mainly on game play and story.