Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Sennz0r said:
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
'Real battles' is a confusing. How is a battle different because you have to line up in a straight line and let people fire at you? Are they somehow less heroic? 'Real weapons' is odd too. Most battles of the Enlightenment period usually devolved to melees with sabers and bayonets. Also, those 'pansy weapons' were the ones that brought China to its knees in the Opium War.
...Shall be correcting that too :)

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
I revise that statement, they did make firearms. I apologise.

However one thing I will stand firm on: The Cinese - just like the Japanese - didn't fight like wimps. Even with the introdustion of firearms large groups (e.g. Samurai) still didn't use them, and stayed true to their traditions. And kicked ass at it too.
Thing is when you learn how to fight with a firearm you get so used to being able to shoot once or twice and kill a guy, that you have no clue what to do when you miss and he comes too close. Resulting in freaking out. Resulting in death.

EDIT: Chinese used guns starting around 1368 AD
The Japanese used guns. The Japanese LOVED guns.
Ever hear of the battle of Nagashino?
Both used guns.

But can we please leave this alone I just kinda signed an armistice here :p
Yeah, fine, just don't go misinformed about Japan 'round these parts. I, and about thirty other people are all well-informed assholes who will not hesitate to correct you.
Now go try some Sake. It's delicious.
I just noticed a terrible amount of typos in my post that you quoted. Gonna correct that in a minute...
Not saying Japanese didn't use guns. I'm saying certain traditional groups didn't.

Reall? Never tried sake, can't seem to find it over here.
Alright, fair is fair. Know what happened to those groups?
They died. End of story. Look up the Satsuma rebellion.

Find a Japanese restaurant. They'll usually have some.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
ninjablu said:
Sennz0r said:
I revise that statement, they did make firearms. I apologise.

However one thing I will stand firm on: The Cinese - just like the Japanese - didn't fight like wimps. Even with the introdustion of firearms large groups (e.g. Samurai) still didn't use them, and stayed true to their traditions. And kicked ass at it too.
Thing is when you learn how to fight with a firearm you get so used to being able to shoot once or twice and kill a guy, that you have no clue what to do when you miss and he comes too close. Resulting in freaking out. Resulting in death.

EDIT: Chinese used guns starting around 1368 AD
The Japanese used guns. The Japanese LOVED guns.
Ever hear of the battle of Nagashino?
Both used guns.

But can we please leave this alone I just kinda signed an armistice here :p
Yeah, fine, just don't go misinformed about Japan 'round these parts. I, and about thirty other people are all well-informed assholes who will not hesitate to correct you.
Now go try some Sake. It's delicious.
I just noticed a terrible amount of typos in my post that you quoted. Gonna correct that in a minute...
Not saying Japanese didn't use guns. I'm saying certain traditional groups didn't.

Reall? Never tried sake, can't seem to find it over here.
Alright, fair is fair. Know what happened to those groups?
They died. End of story. Look up the rebellion of 187.... 7 I think. Might have been 8.

Find a Japanese restaurant. They'll usually have some.
Well that's not such a surprising thing to find out.

pirate_wezza

Nov 11, 2008
Sounds like a good idea. i dont think that time period has ever been done in ANY game. Id like to see the english civil war period too, maybe napoleonic wars. mainly cos i like Sharpe ;)

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
if it's played in the French Revolution,do we have to play as a french guy? i don't want to be a cheese eating surrender monkey! [/sarcasm]

other than paris,what cities could we use for in-game locations?

EDIT: and If the main character doesn't wear a hood,i want him to wear...one of those big hats.as much as I hate One Piece,one of the characters,Mihawk wears one.

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/dracule-mihawk-85607.jpg

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Viva la revolution! (that's correct, right?)
As long as they sort the gameplay out I'll be happy with this.

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
frozenshad said:
this could be a good idea

they could make the main character english and the assassination targets french, perhaps, even napoleon as a final target? (i know it isn't historically accurate but it would be fun)

making the main character english could explain how desmond is an american while his ancestor was from the holy land
Yeah you could do that. it would just be a really un-cinematic, boring, repetitive assassination of wall-papering his bedroom with poisonous wall-paper. And from my experience of the first games side missions...

Oh and going back to sennz0r original post. feudal Japan would of been after the crusades probably.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Only one way this will turn out.......................
HIT OR MISS!!!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread but I hate Michael Patcher and all gaming analysts (but mainly Patcher because he's the most well known). It must be a easy job, getting to play games early and the only work you have to do is predict sales of console units and/or games.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I hope the next assasin's creed is more like Hitman actually. My "assasinations" so far have been running straight at my target with weapon drawn, hacking him down and then running out again through the main enterance whilst hacking down 20+ chanceless guards until I find a bench to hide on for the 15 seconds it takes for the entire town guard to forget about me (okay, they don't during assasinations, but you know what I mean :p)

The French Revolution as a setting in a modern game is possibly the most awesome thing I've heard of in a long time though. I really hope it's true : )

The current setting is awesome as well, but the game feels too... arcade:ish... It's littered with simple set-pieces like climb buildings, rescue a million people from guards who consequently reacts exactly the same every time, and various other repetitive things.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well i think this is something that fits plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

the sad part is if this is set 700 years in the future it would be around the 1890 or so, since the story takes place in 1190 give or take a few years. glad the developers know their history and when their own game takes place

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Sennz0r said:
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.
Okay, okay. Lets adjust for training and cost of equipment. Where do you get off calling early modern European warfare unmanly? It's not like knights and samurai were particularly 'manly' in that they basically just rode around killing poorly armoured peasants. And if anyone starts any bullshit about "samurai don't ride horses" I'll kneecap them.

Cost of one samurai: a life time of training, discipline and very expensive weapons.
Cost of one musketeer: 3 bob and a few weekends practising at the range.

In fact, warfare isn't manly, its horrible, bloody and always ends in death. And I'm joining the army sometime soon!

Anyway, wasn't this thread about the setting? I think revolutionary France would be a pretty awesome one.
Yes, samurai once rode around on horses cutting off heads of peasants. It was cruel, it was horrible.

But, as you said, these people also made fighting their life. The Samurai developed codes of honour, became extremely traditional. They actually did fight for their honour, souls and homes.
I can't really say a musketeer who spent 6 days at bootcamp has the same values as Samurai. Apart from the occasional patriot most of these people were drafted forcibly, thus making them unmotivated soldiers. It's not the effectiveness of the numbers and equipment I respect here. It's the devotion and drive of the people who choose to live in this way.
Devotion to killing isn't enviable. Most samurai were just following their class footprint. I'm not saying they weren't cool but they're not people to look up to. They'd spend their entire lives training just to be sent to death at a whim. There's loyal, and then there's being retarded.

Wars are not won by devotion, they are won by economics. The better supplied, better equipped, better led army always wins. Always, in the end. Except in rare cases like Napoleon/Hitler and the Russian winter.

Nov 11, 2008
This would be cool as long as they keep the side quests interesting and spesific to the character in assassination It would be amazing I would love to Go Kennedy Style and park myself in a bookstore and shoot some guy while hes riding in a Carriage How Bad ass would that be? I know its not Politically correct but as your last assissination poisioning Napoleon i Hope this is true because Assassins Creed 1 was good but set in the 1700 would be amazing just in part because I really want to see what happends to our Friend.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
mokes310 said:
I just hope they get rid of the begging women and unstable folks who shove you at every turn.
But that's the defining part of the French Revolution.

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I hope this rumor is true, I would LOVE to play a game set during the French Revolution, especially if it's during the "reign of terror" period. Also, Flintlocks and Rapiers.
I'm excited as well, for all the reasons above and the fact that my French education could really be useful, Hooray!

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Option 1:
This game is, like any good sequal, an improvment on the original in many aspects and adds new features that improves the exsperiance while still staying true to the original. While moving the timeline to the French Revolution is a dramatic change, hopefully they can keep the game Assassin's Creed. Adding guns could ruin the game, as half the fun was being a wicked Holy Land Ninja who could run from three rooftops away, jump, and stick a hidden blade in a gaurds mouth as he starts to turn towards you, and how they would transfer this to France I have no earthly idea.

Option 2:
The addition of guns make the game Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell in France wearing an Assassin's Creed suit. And they don't fix the pre-assassination chores (Which should just be smaller assassination missions).