Assassin's Creed 2 to be held back to build anticipation

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I don't think the big companies are opperating in reality anymore, its time for another video game collapse so the little guys with vision can start making good games again. EA is nearly bankrupt so its a start

Speaking with Forbes, Ubisoft's president of North America, Laurent Detoc, explained the company's new policy of delaying game sequels in order to build up anticipation and increase demand.

According to Detoc, this new direction is the result of their experience with the first Prince Of Persia trilogy. The 2 sequels, PoP: Warrior Within and Pop: The Two Thrones sold sell, but didn't match the sales of the first title in the series, PoP: Sands Of Time. Ubisoft decided to hold back the fourth Prince Of Persia title until it was released a few days ago.

The same goes for the first Assassin's Creed sequel. "When we bring it back, there will be more anticipation for it," Detoc says.

http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ubisoftexplainswhyassassinscreed2wontbesoon.shtml
I think it will have the opposite effect.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Yeah, delaying a game for the sole purpose of building anticipation just pisses people off;

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Hey I got a better idea, how about holding back games to actually make them better quality? then the sequel of that would sell like hotcakes rather than hot shit in a paper bag.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
No kidding. How about making the game better than the first...perhaps that will help increase sales...

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I AM! :mad:

I loved Assassin's creed and, while I'm not completly sure about the sequal, I'm still looking foreward to it.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
This isn't such a bad idea. Following recent underselling of some big holiday titles (especially those by EA), I think publishers might be starting to realise that you can't release all your big games in a two-month window and expect everybody to pick them up all at once. Gambling on the fact that fans will buy your game over the competition's (or any games at all, for that matter) probably doesn't pay off.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
How rude. I think I may wait a while before I buy it. Just to make them 'anticipate' my cash.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Hey wait a second! Weren't they one of the companies complaining about piracy? You think they're winning any good graces by making people wait to buy their game? Hell, I don't pirate, but this could be seen as a really good rationalization to pirate a game when it finally comes out.

Oh, and just for this Ubisoft, I'm only going to rent Assassins Creed 2 now.

SteveDave

Nov 22, 2008
You don't tell the people your holding it back for no better reason than to build anticipation. Wow, they need to fire their PR guy.

Nov 11, 2008
Look How bought this, Us gamers need to tell companies this is unexeptable and the only reason to hold a game back is to improve quility, I say we don't buy it just rent it that way the companies stocks will drop and Ubisoft won't pull this Sh!t Again :D

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I personally think building anticipation is a good idea, what isnt is revealing that to be your motivation for preventing the consumer from having your product. Maybe its so they dont get sued for saying it's to repair bugs and then they release the same pile of bug ridden steaming cack as always!

Eternal_Rapture

Aug 25, 2008
I'm going to laugh when they wait to long and the games fall off everyone's radar, and they actually sell less. There is a lesson to be learned in all of this.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
I just forget about a game and lose interest if the next game doesn't come out soon enough.