Assassin's Creed 2 to be held back to build anticipation

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Nurb said:
KissofKetchup said:
At least they're not rushing it. That's about the only positive here...
you don't understand, the game would be finished, but they wouldn't release because they think it builds the desire to purchase it.
It doesn't. Threads and discussions like this however, build publicity... and hence the number of potential buyers.

Its rather evil, really, this entire thread is just the sort of exposure they want.

The Blind Prophet

Dec 11, 2008
Now thats just unfair. Looks like Assassins Creed 2 is another game i'm adding to my 'never buy' list, along with the games of most movies.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
It's not the biggest of dickmoves. Especially recalling how long Super Smash Bros Brawl was out in Japan and USA before it came to us in Europe (granted, that was for another reason, but it had the same effect). SecuROM is a lot worse.

The real question is, how much anticipation can they build for Assassins Creed 2?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
This is retarded. I guess they got inspired from South Park's Cartmanland episode.

And the real reason WW sold worse than SoT because they tried to make it more mature but it actually just screamed "Hey, Timmy, i got bloodz and curse words and kewl anti-hero, tip 5 bucks to the salesman to give you this M title" but it actually lacked the maturity of SoT. T2T tried to fix that but it wasn't as good as the first one.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
If they want to build anticipation for AC2 then shouldn't they just hire Peter Molyneux? (ba-dum-pish)

But seriously, anticipation just makes the game seem worse. Even if it is a good game, building anticipation will just raise expectations from gamers who will be disappointed when they find out AC2 isn't the Second Coming of Christ.

n01d34

Aug 16, 2008
This isn't really such a bad idea. I for one get sick of the whole sequel a year mentality. It just leads to rushed products with barely any improvement on the previous title.

Okay so maybe they shouldn't finish the game, lock it in a vault and tell everyone 'it's done but you can't play it' but giving yourself some space and taking a slower approach to releasing sequels is probably a good idea. No reason to hot shot the sequel just to appease gamers constant demand for MOAR!!

There will be other games to play in the meantime and maybe with some extra development time Ubisoft can make Assassin?s Creed 2 better then Assassin?s Creed. Now would that be nice.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Rankao said:
Tips on Building anticipation.

1) Don't announce the game release date until at least 60% complete.
1a) QC Testers feel gameplay (combat/style) good flow and stays fun.
2) Give Appropriate deadlines. (
2a) Game Test the F--K out levels. Note each complaint from the testers on flow (4-8 weeks)
2b) Make adjustments, revamp entire levels if you have to (6-10 weeks)
3) Leak unofficial data out. (After Step 1a is complete but before step 2 is complete)
3a) leak information (game play videos, leak demos to torrents, and so forth) out to unofficial channels. Then after the official channels have noticed it. Then officially release information.
3a-i) Pay attention to the response to the comments of the various torrent networks/official channels and forums on leaked information. Although these won't be the people who will buy the game you will be able to get a strong sample from the population who will pay for you game. IF there is strong criticism of data then its a good idea change release date and start back at step 1.
I strongly disagree with your last point. Your honestly trying to justify creating a game, then completly changing it because some people on the internet dislike it?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
n01d34 said:
This isn't really such a bad idea. I for one get sick of the whole sequel a year mentality. It just leads to rushed products with barely any improvement on the previous title.

Okay so maybe they shouldn't finish the game, lock it in a vault and tell everyone 'it's done but you can't play it' but giving yourself some space and taking a slower approach to releasing sequels is probably a good idea. No reason to hot shot the sequel just to appease gamers constant demand for MOAR!!

There will be other games to play in the meantime and maybe with some extra development time Ubisoft can make Assassin?s Creed 2 better then Assassin?s Creed. Now would that be nice.
That's not the point here though. We're talking about holding it back after it's already finished. Not just spending more time on it.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
seydaman said:
hypothetical fact said:
Or a better game will come out while they are holding back.
like a new wow expansion or gears 3 and fable 3?
No, he said better. I don't think you could easily pick a list of worse (yet woefully inevitable) ideas.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
If a game is not on the shelf, then I'm going to be more inclined to buy something else that is there; come the time it is out, the £40 I was going to spend no longer exists. What retarded course in economics did these guys take?

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
It's kinda funny how you people talk like the games already finished, I mean is there even screen shots out yet?

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
Perhaps they are holding it back in anticipation of the first game breaking even?

(Oh, wait...it did sell pretty well, didn't it? Well, it shouldn't have.:)

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
PoP 2 and 3 didn't sell as well because they were just good games, not the greatest game ever.

Ubisoft, I love so much of your stuff. I also hate some much of your stuff. It's like you go for a drink with a good friend. You have some beers, you laugh, you have a really good time. Then, on the way home, he hits you with a bassball bat, kicks you in groan, takes your money, pisses all over your face, then runs away.

Darthracoon

Aug 27, 2008
gigastrike said:
I AM! :mad:

I loved Assassin's creed and, while I'm not completly sure about the sequal, I'm still looking foreward to it.
My thoughts exactly apart from the misspellings.

But it seems that ubisoft are punishing us because we didn't buy enough second and third prince of persia's. But i don't know why they blame the people for it,
that's like saying ok assassins creed 2 has no combat or parkour but why aren't people buying it! All we did is take out the good parts and the bit that made the game unique!
I know! We'll delay assassins creed 3(the one with no gameplay whatsoever now) for ten years!
That'll show them for not buying our shitty, shitty game they won't get the even shittier sequel.

But seriously i loved assassins creed i just have no idea why they're pulling this ginormous dick move.

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
Depends on what it is they are actually doing; are they delaying the release of a game that is as good as finished? Or are they delaying development so the team can focus on something else? If it is the latter, I think that the reason they give for it is as good as any. I liked creed, and am looking forward to a sequel, but there are more good games to play (and announced for the foreseeable future), so it's not like I'm bummed out about this statement.