Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i like to have a real disc because my amount is limited and not really fast. yes, i did buy many games digitally as long it was like over 15gb or so, but physical discs are still the best when they come with CE.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
This man speaks the truth. Embrace the future. Scrap the physical media.

What is the point of it anyway? You use it once and put it away and never use it again. Downloading is more convenient.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:
The future will be determined when the majority agree in favor of one way or another, and as the tally shows, the people are not ready to "go digital."

So you can cram it, Desilets.
Tell that to steam's upwards of 50 million users and gigantic revenue.

But who cares about facts huh? Something that was 5 times bigger than WOW in its hayday doesn't matter huh? Or anything roughly the size of XBL and PSN?
I don't really like Jim Sterling, but he has a pretty good piece on w-

Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:
The future will be determined when the majority agree in favor of one way or another, and as the tally shows, the people are not ready to "go digital."

So you can cram it, Desilets.
Tell that to steam's upwards of 50 million users and gigantic revenue.

But who cares about facts huh? Something that was 5 times bigger than WOW in its hayday doesn't matter huh? Or anything roughly the size of XBL and PSN?
Before you say things like that, watch the Jimquisition video on why Steam and the Xbone are incomparable.
Yeah, what he said.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
If i were a dedicated PC gamer, discs for my games wouldn't be as important, but seeing as consoles are my primary source of entertainment for games, I love having discs for them, yeah they take up a heap of room, but i can sit back and look at the collection of games that i've had growing for 16 years now and say "look at that!"

Also, Tiberius is right, digital is inevitable, but we don't have the proper infrastructure to keep it going permanently yet on a consistant scale everywhere.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It definitely seems the wrong way around for someone from the industry to be telling the consumer what people care about. I agree that it's probably inevitable (and if I only played PC games I wouldn't mind so much), but not yet. Besides, I'm the kinda guy that has all his gig tickets blu-tacked to his wall, I like collecting stuff. I'm also worried that switching entirely to digital distribution is a very good way to take more rights away from the consumer, that's one of the very few reasons that would make me entirely abandon console gaming as I have slightly more faith in Steam.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That looks to me like another statement that could've come across infinitely better if it weren't delivered in a dismissive manner that said "Deal with it.".

I'm a PC gamer, for the most part - I haven't bought a physical PC game in a few years and much prefer the way it is for me now with Steam, GOG and Humble Bundles. But I also play my 3DS and would much rather have the physical copies than buy them through the eShop (why the fuck are games there more expensive than their brick & mortar physical counterparts?!).

Regardless, people will be more inclined to go all-digital when the industry and their net connections can keep up, although obviously there'll always be people bucking that trend and good for them! Until then, sling your hook. Why shouldn't we have the choice?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wow! Someone in the games industry that's an arrogant prick AND a fucking moron to boot. Wonder if he and CliffyB tweet one another?

Patrice, you might be right about digital being the future. However, there is a major flaw in your logic... WE'RE NOT FUCKING THERE YET!!

Much like cloud computing and every home on planet Earth having high speed Internet, we still have a long way to go before these goals can be fully realized. Technology has a habit of failing, especially when it is rushed to meet a future that isn't ready for it. Learn some patience, Patrice, and try not to sound like a pompous asshole, OK?

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I happen to quite like discs. It's nice to have a physical object that I can point to and say "that's my game". I dislike the sensation of knowing that the entire game could be erased by my console breaking.

So speak for yourself, Mr Desilets. I'll decide what I want by myself, thanks.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Desilets said:
"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
**raises hand**

No, I don't care about the "disk". I care about owning a game and having the rights of ownership over said game. I don't care if the game is on a disk, but I do care that a disk can be loaned, sold, and so forth. Give me that all digital, and you will see me onboard. Use digital as an excuse to take that away, and you can fuck right off.

Desilets said:
"We all like space marines and shooters,"
**raises hand**

Actually, no. No we don't. Not all of us anyway.

ChrisCarTheMarauder

May 3, 2013
I care about having a collection on a shelf that I can look at and say "God I have great taste, AND I can organize like no other mother."

My 50+ digital games just don't give me that feeling.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I like collecting physical things, if you're not going to give me a disk then at least give me a little credit card style thing I can collect ;_;

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Physical copies will always have a more personal feeling to them, and offer me security because I know how they're organised.

Funnily enough my physical copy of Assassin's Creed III has been gathering dust for quite some time, which is much better than something on Steam saying "You haven't played this in 6 months, 4 days and 6 hours".

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Digital isn't the future, mobile gaming on tablets and phones seems to be the large profit of the future sir, and they rely purely on digital, so of FUCKING COURSE you'll be pushing your idiocy upon us, it's not like a plug in and play copy of the game has any benefits.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
If I'm using a console, I want a physical copy. Consoles are shit in the sense of digital game sin my opinion. Even if that's only because of mouse interface is > controller for picking games.

If I'm using my PC, I prefer digital. Steam is so wonderful with that. I have lots of games so being able to look and pick immediately is very helpful. If I had that on my Xbox, I wouldn't be able to do that from what I saw. I'd have to scroll down, or right, to find what I wanted.

Although I've grown up on PC games, so maybe I'm just biased.

comraderichard

Jun 11, 2013
Given that I support the used game market, despite not really using it myself, and that I quite like owning physical disks instead of shelling out money for downloads that I could lose with one bad power surge that forces my device to format itself, um, yeah, no. Weather in West Virginia can get pretty bad, the Internet can be down for days (we have access to two shoddy providers: Frontier and Atlantic), and sometimes that means I need to pop in a disk and play to not lose my will to do anything out of sheer boredom. It's games that keep me happy during my free time, after all.

One more thing, is it just me, or is The Escapist going all out with the sensationalist headlines lately? I really hope this doesn't keep up, lest that morph into the game journalism equivalent of the Inquirer.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Counterpoint from anecdote, Sir: I just had a hard drive fail, losing all the related media (unless I wanted to pay three times the cost of the not-inexpensive drive to recover it, at any rate) completely. I have few problems with digital games, but it's the same reason I still buy books in between buying digital ones--I want things on my shelves, I'm not one of those needlessly "efficient" people who are burdened by the 12 seconds it takes to change a disc, and, when the hard drive carrying the games fails and I can't recover them, I'd like to still be able to play them on a new drive. Admittedly not the strongest case, and the latter argument is more against things like install number restrictions and DRM, but neither of those are going to go away, and losing the ability to uninstall a copy of something means I'm permanently one short, and being one short can add up quite quickly. I can buy a game or a book, in its physical form, and I *own* that object. The underlying stink about Microsoft's presentation was the loss of consumer ownership in favor of licensing, and the sheer volume of outcry, and subsequent relief when Sony said they would allow the consumer direct ownership of their purchases, is very evident that whatever form it takes, people want to own what they buy. Only in media does this show up. If I bought a dress or a nice suit, I don't have a limited number of times I can wear it before the company asks me to buy it again. If I buy a car, I can drive it to my heart's content, neglecting it or meticulously taking care of it as I see fit (as long as I pay it off, of course). At no point does the manufacturer say I need to buy the car again because I've hit 60,000 miles.

There are books on my shelf that have been read so many times that they've needed repairing. There are games I have in disc form that have been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I'm pretty certain there's a permanent data imprint on the various drives and equipment that runs them. I would love to see a world where I can do that with all my digital media, but as it is, I have to closely monitor these licensed issues to see which ones expire or only allow so many installs before requiring a new purchase, and which ones can be treated like a physical disc. To go all digital in and amidst this storm of ownership debates and DRM debacles would be like trying to fly with wax and feather wings off of a skyscraper--you might have a decent idea, but the execution is severely limiting, and end result might be more damaging than if you had waited and properly prepared.