Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

The box art for Assassin's Creed III reveals that Desmond's next ancestor will fight for independence in the American Revolution.

There's a lot of bad blood between the Americans and the French these days. The Americans tend to think of their Francophone allies as cheese-eating surrender monkeys [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJAw-fuYHk] while the French view the Yanks as belligerent cowboys. Oh, there have been good times: The Statue of Liberty is a gift from the French, after all, and without them, we'd have lost the Revolutionary War and we'd all be speaking, well, English (British English!) right now. French developer Ubisoft has recently extended a potential olive branch with the box art reveal for Assassin's Creed III, the latest entry in its hit open-world action series. The artwork confirms that the story in the new title will take place during the American Revolution, pitching a legendary Assassin against an army of Redcoats.

The box depicts an white-clad Assassin (probably an ancestor of series framing device, Desmond Miles), tomahawk in hand, leaping atop a British soldier with Betsy Ross's original American flag flying high over clashing British and Colonial forces in the background. While the artwork does confirm the setting for the new installment, it raises a plethora of questions: Who is the new Assassin? Is he a Native American, a Colonial, a Frenchman, or something else? What weapons will he employ? Will the American Revolution be the whole story, or part of a larger narrative arc? Last, but not least, will Assassin's Creed III finally bring some closure to a story that's been cliffhanger after cliffhanger since 2007?

Interested parties should probably keep an eye on an official Ubisoft countdown [http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/ac/en-US/index.aspx] for more information. The game is currently slated for October 30, 2012, so all Patriots are advised to load their muskets, keep an eye out for the Lobsterbacks, and not pay any exorbitant taxes on tea or stamps until then.

As for British gamers? Well, here's one more thing to add to your list of grievances with France.

Source: Assassin's Creed Official Facebook Page [http://www.facebook.com/assassinscreed?ref=ts]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
While the artwork does confirm the setting for the new installment, it raises a plethora of questions: Who is the new Assassin? Is he a Native American, a Colonial, a Frenchman, or something else? What weapons will he employ? Will the American Revolution be the whole story, or part of a larger narrative arc? Last, but not least, will Assassin's Creed III finally bring some closure to a story that's been cliffhanger after cliffhanger since 2007?
Who: We'll find out soon. Given the other art that's been revealed, I'm guessing he's Native American.

Weapons: Other art suggest tomahawk, pistol and bow are all options. I'd imagine the hidden blade will be back too.

Setting: Most of the other games take place at a time of great political change, and I can't imagine much more change than a revolution.

Ending: Given that the story in game is coming to a point at the end of 2012, I'd imagine that this game will be the end of the current arc. Ubisoft always intended a sort of "Desmond Trilogy". After that, they want to fall back into long dev cycles, and make more games in the universe, but released less frequently.

Kabhaq

Aug 29, 2011
Weren't some of the Founding Fathers associated with the Free-Masons, which were derivative of the Knights Templar? This could be interesting. As will be the shitstorm it starts if we get to kill some powder-wigg'ed patriots.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
He does seem to stand out a bit dressed in white.

Interesting setting but can we please not have all the templars be british, I would like the story to at least not as black and white as that.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.

Haha... thats freaking awesome.

Thankfully, while its likely there will be a greater number of firearms in this game, the actual mechanics of the flintlock guns wont cause much problem with gameplay. I think thats the most obvious problem with AC and a possible modern day game; why use swords when you have automatic weapons that work at a distance...

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I must say as a imperialist....Well, a Englishman.

"You Fools!! You will forever regret leaving the glorious empire!!"

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Meh.

I don't see it working well.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
vrbtny said:
I must say a imperialist....Well, a Englishman.

And now those Frenchmen from Ubisoft are going to slander the English! Typical French!

Too bad I effectively swore off Ubisoft games, because I'd be interested in playing this game.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.
The Russian revolution is already done in the comics. The fall of the Aztec empire won't work (for now since we're following Desmond's ancestors and Ezio died 1524. The empire fell in 1521) (But hey, maybe when we don't follow Desmond's story).

Victorian England would be a nice setting. American revolution is not a used setting, but it does kinda fits with the end of AC:Revelations (if people payed attention).

However.....Tomahawk...This is just made of pure win.

Judging by the box art. The new assassins looks really gritty. Another revenge story? A guy who have known war since he was born? Someone who got in touch with the native american and refused to battle the "gentleman" way?

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Looks good, can't wait. Tomahawk=WIN
That alone makes this game a musket
Buwahaha, that was beautiful.

OT: I think this setting will be great for the next AC game; nice to see some interesting variety after so many continuations of the second game. Looking forward to it.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
vrbtny said:

And now those Frenchmen from Ubisoft are going to slander the English! Typical French!

Too bad I effectively swore off Ubisoft games, because I'd be interested in playing this game.
Bloody garlic chewing surrender monkeys..... We fought them for 100 years, saved their country once, then left them in the dirt, only to ride back 5 years later atop a golden horse....

and they dare hold grudge?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I thought it would be a Native American and was like, well, that's not the kind of guy who you see starring in games every day, at least. Then someone reminded me that for him to be an Assassin's Creed character he would need to be Desmond's ancestor so he's at least part European. Hm.

Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

I usually feel like making fun of someone who says 'Oh well, that game company that has spent millions in focus testing and research knows nothing, I, a random person on the internet, know better!' but I agree, those would be better. Skipping out on the Russian Revolution or anything Aztec is never a good idea.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
vrbtny said:
Waaghpowa said:
vrbtny said:

Bloody garlic chewing surrender monkeys..... We fought them for 100 years, saved their country once, then left them in the dirt, only to ride back 5 years later atop a golden horse....

and they dare hold grudge?
Well the studio that makes AC is in Canada so hopefully it won't be a complete one sided 'Yanks=good, Brits=bad' affair. I reckon the main character will be an European child raised by Native Americans or a colonial. Also I want throwing tomahawks. Insta-kill tomahawks.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
Last, but not least, will Assassin's Creed III finally bring some closure to a story that's been cliffhanger after cliffhanger since 2007?
Puhleeze, do you seriously expect this to be the one who ends with a non-cliffhanger?, expect, at least, 2 or 3 more numberless sequels.

OT: While I'm not a fan of the series and this still doesn't make me interested one bit in the series, it's good to see a change of scenery.

Expect to be sick of the American Revolution 2 or 3 years later with more yearly numberless sequels.