Atheists who celebrate X-mas

Joshua Tax

Jul 29, 2010
Whenever i want to re-lose faith in humanity I just read a blog about either religion or politics. If this is how the opinionative world thinks, I fear the future.

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
the7ofswords said:
rockera said:
well according to the bible Jesus was born on the 25 November but quite a few studies all put his birth in all different dates so I can either believe people who wrote a book about an all powerful and supernatural and conveniently invisible being or scientists. so I don't celebrated Christmas for Jesus's birth, more for saint nick's spirit of giving and carrying it on.
Umm ... no. Go look at your Bible. Seriously. Now show me where the date is given.

It amazes me what people seem to think is in the Bible. How can you call this your holy book, and still be so ignorant about what's actually written in it?
1) I don't call the bible my "holy book"
2)and I am pretty sure it's says that Jesus was born on the 25 December.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Glademaster said:
Well like nearly every single Christian Festival it has been just placed on or adapted another Pagan Festival. Personally if it makes them happy and gets them closer to their family or whatever no harm is done then go for it.

SL33TBL1ND said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity, never did. The pagans made it an the Christans stole and renamed it. Now it's a commercial holiday celebrated by most people regardless of religion. People like getting gifts and spending money, why not celebrate it?
Well said, too many Christians fail to realise that their most important holiday has nothing to do with their religion.

OT: I get presents. That's what Christmas is about, now anyway.
Actually Easter is regarded as the most important holiday to Christians. So no Christmas is not the most important. Not everyone thinks of Christmas as just getting as well too.
Well, considering the Christians I know, they all seem to regard Christmas as the most important. You can't have the death of Christ without his birth.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I have no religion, and I just want at least one day a year where I can give gifts to those close to me without them wondering what I'm after :) and Christmas is as good a reason as any. Not having to work (when I've actually got work coming in) is a nice extra too.
The actual date of Christmas is taken from festivals already in existence that were celebrated by the Celts, Romans and Egyptians.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Sightless Wisdom said:
Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity, never did. The pagans made it an the Christans stole and renamed it. Now it's a commercial holiday celebrated by most people regardless of religion. People like getting gifts and spending money, why not celebrate it?
I like you.

And besides, it's not very Christian of the Christians to want to keep Christmas for themselves.

mindlessvulgarity

Aug 23, 2009
akibawall95 said:
I think Christmas is no longer just a religious holiday. I believe in god but I know several atheists who celebrate Christmas and some of my other Christian friends do not think they should be celebrating if they do not believe in Christ. I believe it has gone past that to just a holiday to come together and show each other we care.

Edit: If you read what I said: I think atheists should, do and can celebrate Chirstams.
Christmas is a pagen holiday, so technically as a Christian you should not be celebrating Christmas as it is a pagen holiday and pagens worshipped so-called false idles, which is a sin against God according to your big ol' book of magic. OT: I am a proud Atheist who celebrates Christmas as it tends to bring people together.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Sightless Wisdom said:
And this is all anyone will ever need to know about Christmas...

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
asinann said:
zehydra said:
It's a Christian holiday. Regardless of what it was in the past, it currently is a Christian holiday (over-commercialized, definitely!) The thing that I don't get is why Atheists celebrate "Christ's mass" instead of say, the solstice or some other secular reason around the same time. Even Santa Claus is based off of the patron saint of Charity.
Because the solstice was also once a religious day. And everything about christmas is stolen by christianity. Just like the rest of their holidays. I am an atheist, my family isn't. I use the name of the day so they have something recognizable to call the day. Just because I don't follow your fairy tail doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a family gathering and a feast.
but why Christmas? Why not Kwanzaa or some other random holiday then?

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
zehydra said:
asinann said:
zehydra said:
It's a Christian holiday. Regardless of what it was in the past, it currently is a Christian holiday (over-commercialized, definitely!) The thing that I don't get is why Atheists celebrate "Christ's mass" instead of say, the solstice or some other secular reason around the same time. Even Santa Claus is based off of the patron saint of Charity.
Because the solstice was also once a religious day. And everything about christmas is stolen by christianity. Just like the rest of their holidays. I am an atheist, my family isn't. I use the name of the day so they have something recognizable to call the day. Just because I don't follow your fairy tail doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a family gathering and a feast.
but why Christmas? Why not Kwanzaa or some other random holiday then?
Because everyone gets christmas off. Kind of hard to hold a family gathering on say, the third day hanukkah when everyone is at work.

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
Yea, I like presents! Yea, sometimes I almost forget that its a religious thing. At school, one of my teachers was annoyed that saying "Merry Christmas" might not be politically correct. Which is sorta surprising, I just wonder who would be mean enough to say that Christmas is offensive to them.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Sightless Wisdom said:
/Facepalm

Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity?

Wow. I'm gonna assume you've been struck in the head recently. Christianity is centric to the birth of Christ. It was celebrated in December so that early christians wouldn't be scrutinized for their monotheism.

And athiests who celebrate Christmas tend to do so in a secular sense, i.e. Santa Clause, Rudolph, chimney, etc.

And if they don't... well then they generally aren't athiests. That or they choose not to celebrate at all.

lolmanxe

Aug 10, 2009
im a ''non-beliver'' but i dont see the reason why atheists shouldn't celebrate xmas. its a time for joy and gluttony and since gluttony is a SIN we get to piss off the local christians.

now im not say we hate christians (at least not me). i show respect to christians to a limit altough in my own oppinion i think christianity was invented because there were so many questions they could not figure out.... GOD MADE IT. ah well in that case problem solved right? but now im being off-topic so ill get to my point!

Fun fact, many christians fail to realise that christmas isnt even related christianity.

So that atheist shouldn't have xmas is just plain horsepoop!

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
ExaltedK9 said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
/Facepalm

Wow. I'm gonna assume you've been struck in the head recently. Christianity is centric to the birth of Christ. It was celebrated in December so that early christians wouldn't be scrutinized for their monotheism.

And athiests who celebrate Christmas tend to do so in a secular sense, i.e. Santa Clause, Rudolph, chimney, etc.

And if they don't... well then they generally aren't athiests. That or they choose not to celebrate at all.
Allow me to rephrase, Christmas is a holiday derivative of Roman celebrations and pagan festivals. After these things existed the Christians found them and decided they would make a similar holiday and claim that Christ was born on the 25th of December. As time went on the holiday became increasingly commercial to the point that religion was irrelevant.

There, happy?

Steam Colossus

Aug 17, 2010
CK76 said:
It really is selfish how people want to spend time with family, give gifts and just be pleasant while not believing in supernatural beings.
Those bastards and their not being ass holes all year long!

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Sightless Wisdom said:
ExaltedK9 said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
/Facepalm

Allow me to rephrase, Christmas is a holiday derivative of Roman celebrations and pagan festivals. After these things existed the Christians found them and decided they would make a similar holiday and claim that Christ was born on the 25th of December. As time went on the holiday became increasingly commercial to the point that religion was irrelevant.

There, happy?
Well... no.
But thats not your fault. (Not that I know of, anyways.)

And no, Christmas is not derivative of pagan traditions. Early Christians didn't stumble upon pagan festivals and say: "... I want them."

Again, Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth, and it was celebrated in December for reasons already stated. They never claimed that it was on the 25th. I think the experts say it was actually in march.

And Christmas's religious base hasn't became irrelevant. Fuck, the name should tell you that. Nativity scenes, and gift giving also have the roots in the Christ story, since you apparently need to be told that.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
ExaltedK9 said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
ExaltedK9 said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
snip
snip
snip
...sorry you're wrong? I don't really know what to say except that neither of us can prove this one way or another because we don't have definitive places to pull facts from. Show me irrefutable evidence that the Christians created this holiday on their own and began celebrating it and I will believe you, otherwise... I'm going to think you know nothing about the actual origins of these celebrations.

Now, on the topic of how relevant Christianity is to Christmas today... the name has nothing to do with it. We kept the name because it would be stupid to change it, the fact that it has the word Christ in it does not mean that only Christians celebrate or even that mostly Christians celebrate it. Everyone I know celebrates Christmas, a lot of them are atheists and some are even Muslims. The reason they celebrate is not to acknowledge the birth of some deity, but to give and receive gifts, eat more food than they should, and just have some fun.

EDIT: Just google origin of Christmas and take a look at some of the results, I'd say even if they're not factual(unlikely) a good chunk of people agree that the Christians basically took Saturnalia( a pagan festival) and tried to make it a Christian holiday.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. Aside from the fact I grew up with it, it's a nice thing to do at the end of the year, I think.

Also the food is amazing.