Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
Somehow I'm not surprised. Dumb woman needs to realize that a parent needs to raise their children, not wave their disabilities around like some sort of fucking banner.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
I hate people who use a condition as a crutch for the behavior. Now preparing the barracks for the media storm saying Austistic=Cheater

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
...ignoring all possible discussions about Achievements, Halo, Recon (in-game unlockables), and 360/XBL...we have a cheater and his mother

yeah I've dealt with my share of cheaters (losers) and their mothers...it's kinda a stupid situation I advise to avoid in life x(

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
"I did warn him about this but seeing it wasn't a bank password or anything big, it's just a game we didn't worry about it too much
Ah, I see. So because it was just a game they went to the press afterwards. Seems to me like the result of a mother trying to make up for her own mistake by throwing dirt. Surely an authistic child isn't that easy but it doesn't get better by lying.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
I hate seeing mothers like this. I know if I got in trouble for something like this when I was a kid, my mom would have taken my Xbox away, and grounded me for awhile.

Reminds me of something that happened back in high school. I got in a fight, or rather, a kid got pissed off at me and started to punch me in the face. I didn't fight back, other then pushing him back. I got a day in detention, and he was suspended for a few weeks.(I'm not upset about that) However when talking to the principle about the event, he mentioned that his mom said "How dare that boy put his hands on my Son" or something in that light. Made me roll my eyes. When I told my mom about what happened, she gave me a stern lecture, and told me she doesn't care what the other kid did, he wasn't her son.
In the end, I found I learned something about mothers who ignore the misdoings of their kids, and blames other people/things for what goes wrong with their kids.
Also feel I should point out the kid was a known crackhead.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
ecoho said:
I kinda dont blame her and in truth the kid should have his achivments wiped but the cheater tag was a little much. I mean when you tink about it the kid probily didnt know what his friend was doing was cheating when he was offerd it(i know a few kids in general who are a bit too trusting) and lets face it the majority of parents dont know anything about games.
i'm sorry but i have no sympathy for him whatsoever. cheating is one thing i can't stand, especially when it comes to earning things like rankings and armor pieces. it pisses me off when people gain them through cheating, and i personally think that profile, and any others created on that xbox (you could still get around it and create a profile elsewhere and move it, but oh well) should get the cheater label. even if he was "too trusting" he should've gotten the achievements for himself instead of even thinking of letting someone else do them for him

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Wow, just wow. All this then you find out the women lied about the whole thing. And if his autism isn't related to it then why is it highlighted?

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Flare Phoenix said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Flare Phoenix said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
It's still harsh. There are different levels of autism, and the kid might not be fully aware of whether he did anything wrong. It sounds like the other kid gave it to him out of sympathy too. Kind of a pathetic story, the mother lied, but the kid was probably really troubled about it. For a mother child's happiness >>>>> honor or truth.
The fact of the matter is the cheating did in fact occur, and the mother was well aware of what her son was doing and that it was, in fact, the wrong thing to do. Who gives a crap if the kid is austistic or not; that has less than nothing to do with this situation. You take something away from any kid, they spent a lot of time working on, they are going to be unhappy.

Also, they might have gained more sympathy from Microsoft if the mother didn't come out accusing Microsoft of been an evil corperation picking on her son for being austistic. That says to me, they knew what the kid had done was wrong, and were just trying to get out of trouble using whatever they could think of as an excuse.
*Sigh of boredom* Yes, yes, you know the objective truth of morality. Never mind that people have been debating it for thousands of years. Please, by all means preach to me. I'm sure you could school me on all the nuances of deontology vs. consequentialism. Right/wrong, good/bad. Everyone's too busy being a good moral person to have any compassion for anyone anymore. Guess it's easier if we have a black and white definition of right and wrong so we don't have to worry about it. If you're going to take pleasure in the punishment of others while you revel in your own moral superiority, at least fess up to it.
Microsoft has its rules set in place, and in order to enforce those rules they have to apply to everyone. There is no question of whether what the kid did was right or wrong; by the rules set out by Microsoft, the kid did the wrong thing and deserves the appropiate punishment for it.

While I am sure it is upsetting for the kid to lose all of his points, he broke the rules and he must suffer the consequences for his actions. You cannot possibily believe Microsoft should have let the kid off scott-free just because the kid would be upset over what happened to him.

And yes, right and wrong is quite clearly black and white in this scenario. The law quite clearly states that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it (even though the mother quite clearly said she knew what her son was doing was the wrong thing to do). It was the mother's responsibiliy to stop her son from doing the wrong thing.

Yes, it might feel nice for the kid now if he got all his points back, but honestly what lesson is that teaching the kid? If he uses his austism, he can do whatever he wants? Tell me, if this kid had shot one of your family members and killed them, would you be saying he shouldn't be punished because the punishment might upset him?

To be honest, I have no compassion for this kid in this scenario because he cheated and got caught for it. It's as simple as that. Sure, it would be nice if we didn't have those pesky things like law and order, but personally I like society not crumbling, thanks... I do, however, have compassion towards every Xbox user who follows the rules, and do not get a free month of Xbox Live.
First off. Rules and laws are far different from right and wrong. In the 1950's it was illegal for black people to drink from certain fountains, eat in certain restaurants, and sit in certain seats on the bus. Does it mean that it was actually wrong of them to do so?

Secondly, like many other ethical scenarios this one revolves around agency. I never said the kid shouldn't be punished. I said it was still a rather pathetic scenario. Like I said, there are different levels of autism, and if the kid knew what he was doing, then yes, he should probably still be punished. But if he was so out of it that he doesn't really understand what cheating is, then there isn't much sense in punishing him.

From what you said, you'd be for the execution of the mentally retarded. If someone doesn't know what they are doing, then they aren't really an agent, and can't really be held accountable for their actions. They should definitely be restrained for the safety of the rest of society, but there's just no sense in punishing them if they don't understand what they did, except sadism of course. If the kid is really that out of it that he can't socialize with anyone and thus his entire life is his video games, then he might not understand what cheating is. In that case I'd give him back the points and things he earned legitimately in exchange for the mother's word that she will make sure he doesn't do anything equivalent again.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Give the Mom a break, she's probably been sensitive about her son from a pretty early age, if his form of Autism is very debilitating then it can be pretty tough for the family. Yeah, going to the press (I'm assuming she knew as much as most parents regarding videogames their children play know, and didn't realise what was happening; which seems like a pretty safe assumption) was a REALLY dumb thing to do, but let's not crucify her because of one piece of idiocy.

EDIT: Looking at the comments above, do people seriously believe she'd deliberately lie about something so easily exposed? This stinks of idiocy, not malice.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Give the Mom a break, she's probably been sensitive about her son from a pretty early age, if his form of Autism is very debilitating then it can be pretty tough for the family. Yeah, going to the press (I'm assuming she knew as much as most parents regarding videogames their children play know, and didn't realise what was happening; which seems like a pretty safe assumption) was a REALLY dumb thing to do, but let's not crucify her because of one piece of idiocy.

EDIT: Looking at the comments above, do people seriously believe she'd deliberately lie about something so easily exposed? This stinks of idiocy, not malice.
Her son came to her to ask for confirmation about sending his account to the people. It wasn't an issue of her "knowing as much as most parents regarding videogames" and "didn't realize what was happening". She knew full well what had happened and why, but she still made the decision to go to the media. Once she went to the media, instead of saying "My son was wrongfully banned on Xbox" she lied and tried to play her sons condition off for sympathy by saying "My son is autistic, and he was wrongfully banned on Xbox".

Maniac536

Jan 14, 2009
I kind of figured this was likely the case. Not because the boy was autistic, but because MS is usually pretty good about banning people who actually do abuse the system, and have a sytem of checks in place to prevent themselves from banning people who obviously did not cheat or hack their accounts (as was seen, MS already had a file on his case which HAD to have been reviewed by a human being, as they listed specifics he had done and said how it was impossible). That sort of thing is pretty easy to detect on an Xbox, but even though you might not get banned immediatly, the hammer will be hanging over you and will drop eventually.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Surely there are better things out there to report. This all because he has autism. I hate positive discrimination.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
strangeotron said:
BabyRaptor said:
I'm not surprised. Disgusted, but not surprised.
really? Disgusted? Really?

FFS.
Yeah, disgusted. This woman knew her son was cheating, KNEW what he was doing was wrong. But instead of owning up when he got caught, she went to the media, lied, and tried to milk her son's disability.

And no, I'm not a Microsoft fangirl. I just can't stand people who think they're special snowflakes.