Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

TwikTwok

Jan 29, 2011
strangeotron said:
Irridium said:
Kid got exactly what he deserved. He cheated, and he got punished. Moral of the story is to not cheat for silly pieces of armor that don't even look that good.
That's the spirit!

We can all rest easy now, on our moral high ground, that a 13yo with a diagnosed behavioural and cognitive disorder has been permanently (thanks to the internet) labelled a cheater, all for the audacity of wanting a new skin to play a game. This isn't even news.

Sickening.
I registered an account because I was intending to say basically what you did and was pleasantly surprised to see someone already speaking rationally here. Saddened to see that it took eight pages to get there.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Kitteh said:
no, we also have a large supply of pussies, assholes, dicks, and the occasional republican
Republicans are the cream of the crop when it comes to playing the victim...Might want to erase that bit of redundancy.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
strangeotron said:
RatRace123 said:
shitfaced spawn
Reported.
Taken out of context, yes that looks bad, but I wasn't referring specifically to the kid. I was making a general statement about parents who try to lie and make a big huff about things to cover their kids. It was a poor choice of words that I used to try to make a point.
Maybe she does have difficulty raising her son, and I'm not going to presume that I know anything about that kind of life, but the mother was the one who turned this thing into a newsworthy story.

In retrospect, I now agree that the kid shouldn't have to suffer a lot of ridicule because his of his mother's lie. You can see why people are upset about this though, it shows that you can lie and try to slander a company and maybe you can get away with it.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Asehujiko said:
So basically, somebody lies to an autistic child about whether or not his methods for getting achievements are legit, autistic child gets punished for something he didn't do and had no idea his unknown "benefactor" would do, child and his mother are utterly bewildered why that happened and ask publicly wtf is going on, Microshit blames them for the third party's action and the entire escapist is hivemindedly hating on them as well?
How do you know that this mystery somebody lied to the autistic child? For that matter, how do we even know that this mystery somebody even exists?

And his mother didn't come out asking WTF. She came out accusing Microsoft of discrimination against autistic peoples.

On the first point, I'm just being cynical. But on the second point, that's called grandstanding and it is reprehensible.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
strangeotron said:
Oh phew, so calling everyone's child a shitfaced spawn is ok then.

Glad we sorted that out. I'd hate to think you were making a monumentally crass statement.
I admitted it was a poor choice of words that I used. I was making a point, and you took it out of context again.

Apr 28, 2008
strangeotron said:
Irridium said:
Kid got exactly what he deserved. He cheated, and he got punished. Moral of the story is to not cheat for silly pieces of armor that don't even look that good.
That's the spirit!

We can all rest easy now, on our moral high ground, that a 13yo with a diagnosed behavioural and cognitive disorder has been permanently (thanks to the internet) labelled a cheater, all for the audacity of wanting a new skin to play a game. This isn't even news.

Sickening.
If you want someone to blame, blame the mother. The one who made such a huge deal about this. The one who knew he cheated, and still went through with it all.

And besides, according to the news story, Microsoft is offering a new gamer-tag and free one month for him to start over. Its the most they can do in this situation. If they un-did all this because of his condition, others would try to take advantage of it all.

Apr 28, 2008
strangeotron said:
Irridium said:
strangeotron said:
Irridium said:
That's the spirit!

Sickening.
If you want someone to blame, blame the mother. The one who made such a huge deal about this. The one who knew he cheated, and still went through with it all.

And besides, according to the news story, Microsoft is offering a new gamer-tag and free one month for him to start over. Its the most they can do in this situation. If they un-did all this because of his condition, others would try to take advantage of it all.
Someone to blame? For what? An autistic kid wants recon armour so he can enjoy his game of halo? Seriously?
No, someone to blame for making this a big media story. I doubt the kid wanted any of this, and I doubt it'll help him in any way.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Makes me glad my comment on the original story was a neutral one. So let's be glad that Microsoft isn't an evil overlord, it's still the same morally gray overlord we've known for years.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
strangeotron said:
Omegatronacles said:
Asehujiko said:
So basically, somebody lies to an autistic child about whether or not his methods for getting achievements are legit, autistic child gets punished for something he didn't do and had no idea his unknown "benefactor" would do, child and his mother are utterly bewildered why that happened and ask publicly wtf is going on, Microshit blames them for the third party's action and the entire escapist is hivemindedly hating on them as well?
How do you know that this mystery somebody lied to the autistic child? For that matter, how do we even know that this mystery somebody even exists?

And his mother didn't come out asking WTF. She came out accusing Microsoft of discrimination against autistic peoples.

On the first point, I'm just being cynical. But on the second point, that's called grandstanding and it is reprehensible.
You know nothing about the mother and the child, and I doubt you know what it's like to raise a child with autism. If i were you i'd check the attitude.
I never claimed to know anything about the mother or child, but I do know that Microsoft would not have know beforehand if the child was autistic. They followed their normal operating procedure when they discovered someone cheating. It was the mother who brought the child's autism into the picture, and it was her grandstanding that made a media spectacle out of it.

strangeotron said:
Get a life mate. You know nothing about autism and how it affects people, and for the 'media' to drag this poor kid's name through the shit (and it will be shit given how the internet behaves) for the crime of wanting a piece of armour is pathetic. Still we all like to be self righteous. God forbid some poor woman trying to raise a difficult child who probably doesn't really understand how wanting a bit of graphics can be seen as cheating (in real world terms, not the abritrary shit MS invents). Her kid enjoys games, it's something that allows him to relate to what is probably a very scary world and a simple ill judged harmless act with no consequence to anyone else gets him the ire of a judgemental gamers online.

Be the bigger man and grow up.
It's not arbitrary at all. Microsoft state in their terms and conditions of service that hacking achievements is cheating, the kid agreed to these terms and conditions when he signed up. Evidently he knew he had done something wrong, because he hid the existance of the person who got him the armour until it was apparent that crying "I have autism" wasn't going to get him off the hook. And maybe his mother doesn't understand how obtaining the armour without earning it is cheating. That doesn't change the fact that the rules were broken and the appropriate punishment was meted out.

And while we're talking about lack of knowledge, you know nothing about me. My son doesn't have autism, which is something I'm grateful for, but my neighbours son does. I've seen firsthand the problems it can cause for parents. I know how much effort it can be to raise a child with a difficult condition, be it mental or physical. So don't assume I know nothing, just to try and prove some nonexistant moral superiority over me. Check your own attitude before lecturing others about theirs.