Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
hyperdrachen said:
I like that she didn't think handing out his live password was a big deal. But having cheater slapped on there was somehow a problem. Isn't variable relevance fun. "Lol ya ur acnts not that big a del NEwai" "Oh my god, how can microsoft do this to my poor autistic baby. Call channel 3!"
And that is precisely what I was thinking as well.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh.........(like a deflating balloon). Well at least she came clean before things got any further out of hand. So lets all forget about this and never speak of it again. Only remembering the lesson that everyone has a sob story to tell and you can't know whether or not to believe them so look to the evidence.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
necronmm said:
Still getting a free month of Xbox live gold for lying? Wow
The first three new Xbox Live accounts created on a 360 get 1 month of XBL Gold for free. The kid isn't getting anything of value.

UnnDunn

Aug 15, 2006
To be honest, I don't blame Zdenek. She couldn't be expected to know how the Julius' friend would obtain the recon armor. She just thinks it's a stupid videogame, so it doesn't matter. And why not? It's not like she plays Halo or even knows what Recon Armor is. All she knows is her autistic kid wants it for some reason, and his friend can get it if he is given the password to the account.

The person I blame is the kid who modded the profile. That is the person who Julius and his mom should be focusing their wrath on. He should have known better.

But honestly, half these profile modders are prepubescent numpties anyway, who think giving their Avatars neon-green skin is all sorts of cool. And then when their accounts get banned for life, they post angry, barely-legible tirades on the Account Suspensions forum [http://forums.xbox.com/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1386] to try to get their accounts back.

Lordtommy

Apr 26, 2009
Funny.. I didn't know ignorance and dishonesty were the same thing...
I'm pretty sure kids do things that their parents have no knowledge of quite frequently. It seems pretty harsh to call her dishonest for defending her son, even though she didn't know what exactly he was doing.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
All this "cheating" is for a decorative change in armor that is really worth nothing. In a game that isn't even really that good.

So....why exactly does the mother and child need to be punished again?

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
strangeotron said:
The Electro Gypsy said:
And...Wait, what? Why do they get free XBox live gold?
Because slapping the word CHEATER in front of a 13 yo autistic kid's username, after having it plastered around the internet by the idiots that call themselves journalists is rather cruel - a bit like doing so in the first place in response to downloading a piece of fucking armour that doesn't spoil anyone else's fun.

Omegatronacles said:
that crying "I have autism" wasn't going to get him off the hook.
People that have autism don't go around 'crying "I have autism"'.

Achievement scores matter to 13yo kids; they matter exponentially more to a 13yo kid with autism. Stripping those points in response to some stupid accusation of downloading 'recon armour' is beyond ridiculous.
And again you are missing the point.

When he was caught cheating, Microsoft acted on their established methods, stripping all his achievements and changing his name to reflect that he had been caught.

His mother, the one who you are trying to defend, went to the media screaming about how Microsoft mistreats autistic kids.

When it became apparent that he had actually been cheating, they dropped the whole Microsoft mistreats autistic kids angle, because Microsoft treats all cheaters the same.

It was more than an accusation of downloading the Recon armour. Microsoft were able to prove that he had obtained it illegitimately, at which point the mother confessed that she knew he was cheating.

You may not put much value in the recon armour. But thousands of players out there do. It is a status symbol, saying to other players "look at me, I've done something you haven't." The kid was trying to get the status without putting in the effort. It's not just an achievement score that the kid was boosting, he has, through his actions, modified the games content and if he had been allowed to continue, would have cheapened the experience of all those who put in the hard work to get the armour.

It's not an over the top reaction from Microsoft, it is Microsoft doing the right thing by the millions of players they have who don't cheat. When you sign up for Xbox Live, you agree that you will abide by the terms and conditions. One of those conditions is that you will not cheat. Kid was caught cheating, kid gets punished.

And to top it all off, who knows if it was "just the recon armour"? Just because this was where he got caught, doesn't mean he hasn't cheated before. Or if he'd been allowed to get away with this, what's to stop him from doing it again? Microsofts actions were fair and just, in keeping with their established procedure.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
And...
Now the mother comes off as an attention seeker.
It seems as though she's exploiting her son's unfortunate disability as a way to get sympathy and attention.
Now that's kinda sick.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
the kid doesn't deserve the 1 month and a new account, he cheated and thats that. this is just another example of a family milking the disabilities of their members.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
Really a non-story, but I suppose whatever gets attention is worthy of a story. While the kid being rewarded for his cheating goes somewhat against my sense of justice, well...

Firstly, I can't get too worked up about it. Secondly, it's a win-win. The kid gets a band-aid for whatever stress he's had with the situation (I'm going to go ahead and guess that he didn't fully realize what he was doing), and Microsoft comes out of this situation the big moral winner; not only did they do nothing wrong, they also get to show a generous side. Great PR for them. In fact, so good the conspiract theorist in me wants to suspect Microsoft of staging the entire thing! Good job, Microsoft. Kid, stop cheating. Mom, stop contacting national news for every little perceived slight against your child.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Irridium said:
If you want someone to blame, blame the mother. The one who made such a huge deal about this. The one who knew he cheated, and still went through with it all.
And, more to the point, the one who allowed her underaged special-needs child to play "M"-rated games without parental supervision... particularly in an online environment wherein some players* are less mature than he is.

-- Steve

* Some of whom are nominally "of-age", and apparently don't show up on the DSM-IV. (Though hopefully the DSM-V will cover those emotionally-stunted man-children.)

Apr 28, 2008
strangeotron said:
Irridium said:
No, someone to blame for making this a big media story. I doubt the kid wanted any of this, and I doubt it'll help him in any way.
It isn't a big media story. The only reason it's gotten any attention is from ignorant commentators posting here about things they have no understanding of. To call this cheating is fucking absurd.
The only reason its gotten any attention is because the mother went to the media. And it is cheating. He gave his account to a third party, and they got the armor through illegitimate ways. Thats cheating.

The Electro Gypsy

Aug 10, 2010
Omegatronacles said:
strangeotron said:
The Electro Gypsy said:
And...Wait, what? Why do they get free XBox live gold?
Because slapping the word CHEATER in front of a 13 yo autistic kid's username, after having it plastered around the internet by the idiots that call themselves journalists is rather cruel - a bit like doing so in the first place in response to downloading a piece of fucking armour that doesn't spoil anyone else's fun.

Omegatronacles said:
that crying "I have autism" wasn't going to get him off the hook.
People that have autism don't go around 'crying "I have autism"'.

Achievement scores matter to 13yo kids; they matter exponentially more to a 13yo kid with autism. Stripping those points in response to some stupid accusation of downloading 'recon armour' is beyond ridiculous.
And again you are missing the point.

When he was caught cheating, Microsoft acted on their established methods, stripping all his achievements and changing his name to reflect that he had been caught.

His mother, the one who you are trying to defend, went to the media screaming about how Microsoft mistreats autistic kids.

When it became apparent that he had actually been cheating, they dropped the whole Microsoft mistreats autistic kids angle, because Microsoft treats all cheaters the same.

It was more than an accusation of downloading the Recon armour. Microsoft were able to prove that he had obtained it illegitimately, at which point the mother confessed that she knew he was cheating.

You may not put much value in the recon armour. But thousands of players out there do. It is a status symbol, saying to other players "look at me, I've done something you haven't." The kid was trying to get the status without putting in the effort. It's not just an achievement score that the kid was boosting, he has, through his actions, modified the games content and if he had been allowed to continue, would have cheapened the experience of all those who put in the hard work to get the armour.

It's not an over the top reaction from Microsoft, it is Microsoft doing the right thing by the millions of players they have who don't cheat. When you sign up for Xbox Live, you agree that you will abide by the terms and conditions. One of those conditions is that you will not cheat. Kid was caught cheating, kid gets punished.

And to top it all off, who knows if it was "just the recon armour"? Just because this was where he got caught, doesn't mean he hasn't cheated before. Or if he'd been allowed to get away with this, what's to stop him from doing it again? Microsofts actions were fair and just, in keeping with their established procedure.
Essentially what I was thinking, well said. Yeah I may be considered harsh or whatever but he cheated, simple as, autism or no, he doesn't deserve free stuff for cheating and having a mother with a strange view of things

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
"I did warn him about this but seeing it wasn't a bank password or anything big, it's just a game we didn't worry about it too much (...)"

Oh the hypocrisy!

A few days ago said woman was accusing microsoft of crushing her son's spirit over achievement points, now she claims that trading passwords "isn't a bid deal" because "it's just a game".

Also, using your child's condition as an excuse to loophole standard regulations is just... ugh

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I knew Microsoft was right. I've never heard of someone being banned or reset for NO reason. And the sob story didn't work on me.