Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Actually, the last part is partially incorrect. I got a metric fuckload of the Mercenaries 2 online achievements offline due to a glitch that I did not do purposely. 35/40. No, I'm not giving them back because I've done everything to get them legit since then.

But, he still cheated so... ehh. Still feel a little bad for him though.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
The kid was always going to be in the wrong. If he's autistic then its probably hard for him to admit that he cheated. He probably would of thought he would get in big trouble so he lied, fair enough.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Approure care
my recaptcha
Anyway the stupidity of your average parent boggles the mind. i don't like Harvey Danger but perhaps he was right...

"only stupid people are breeding".

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I think this is the kind of thing that should be written off as bad for all parties, and so forgotten. MS looks like they step on disabled children, the mother looks like a liar, and the son looks like a cheater. Nobody physically harmed, the truth came out, lets move on.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
Not to be rude by why isn't this an update on your other story?
Because no one read the update on the last one, after the update was posted people kept ignoring the new info and posted things in direct contradiction ti the update. Or atleast, that's why I think it wasn't added as an update.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
I kinda dont blame her and in truth the kid should have his achivments wiped but the cheater tag was a little much. I mean when you tink about it the kid probily didnt know what his friend was doing was cheating when he was offerd it(i know a few kids in general who are a bit too trusting) and lets face it the majority of parents dont know anything about games.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
So she admitted he child did something against the rules but still tried playing the "he has autism give me sympathy" card? Sorry lady but just because your son was unfortunate enough to be struck with a disability does not give him the excuse to break the rules. Everyone who makes an online account is give the ToS and is subject to the proper punishments for not following them. There is no "do you have a disability? then click here to have a rule-free account" option.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I would feel more sympathy for the boy if the whole story came out originally.

If it is true that the other person just said he was going to get the Recon Armour, but didn't say that it would be done through illegitimate means, then I would have felt bad for the boy but the fact that they weren't honest at the beginning makes me not care.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
First of all, Microsoft didn't know that the kid was autistic.
Second, the mother was stupid, creating a big fuss over nothing, and making a fool of herself.
Third, kids and mothers have got to learn that just because their kid/they have got a disability, they won't get special treatment.

The kids a cheater, he knew what he was doing and he got what he deserved. End of Story.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
The lessons to learn from all of this is that autistic people can cheat too, parents will lie to paint their children in a better light and just because the big faceless corporation has taken action against the little guy doesn't mean that they weren't absolutely right to do so.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
wow, didnt actually expect her to fucking own up to this XD

this should teach everyone a lesson... DONT FUCK WITH MICROSOFT! if they say you cheated, you fucking cheated >:)

and yet she STILL wants to play the victim here. god, is my country just ALL victims?

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Saw this one coming...

I really hate parents that act as an enabler for their children to do stupid stuff. And then they try to get sympathy.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Never distrusted Microsoft. Folks, don't give any of your passwords away. It is a bad idea, even if it is not linked to any personal information directly. People are crafty.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
The problem from Microsoft's perspective is that the initial story will still be much louder than the rebuttal. First strike almost always wins, which is why we can't have nice things or journalistic integrity on the internet.

Cheers

Colin

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
"It isn't a bank password" well, yeah, and that's why nobody is going to jail and just having their acheivements wiped and a mark put on their online record. A virtual gaming punishment for a virtual gaming crime. Pretty much a measured response.

That said, I have to wonder about part of the justification for this. To be entirely honest achievements glitch on the 360 all the time. When I was trying Bully and doing the various class mini-games I wound up totally missing out on an earlier achievement (for doing so many classes) but getting one for doing more classes. Someone looks at my gamer tag they could say "OMG, Thorley 231 cheated, he couldn't possibly have that acheivement without having the earlier one", when in reality it was just a bloody bug where I actually wound up getting cheated out of an achievement actually (I know about this, but I'm not a big enough acheivement hunter to care all that much). :p

They investigated this pretty well, but I'm not sure if I like the "out of order" part of this because as I said, I've had problems, and I know plenty of people have talked about games rewarding achievements wierdly over the years (either for the wrong thing, out of sequence, or whatever). Earning online achievements offline is the big part of course, along with the data transfer, but it still raises some eyebrows here.

At any rate, it's good to finally hear this has been resolved. If the kid has to re-earn all his Cheevos (thanks for the term Kathleen, it's pretty funny) anyway, if the mom cares that much and is willing to go through all this effort, she might want to invest in a new system and perhaps hope a lesson has been learned about cheating.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Tim Latshaw said:
"...it's just a game we didn't worry about it too much..."
That is, until your son got caught on it, then you made it into a media stink, trying to milk your son's condition to get your way and eventually embarrassing both of you in the end.

Grow up, lady.
Exactly.

If you knew, then why not just STAY SHUT, instead putting your own son through all that shitty media attention and its inevitable backlash. Kid must feel devastated right now.