Awful Characters Find Their Way Into ME3

May 28, 2009
Yeah ME2 characters will be in it. Bioware are merely making sure people can't go "where is Ashley/Kaiden/[Insert character name]" again.

Seriously these guys just cannot win, not matter what. Someone somewhere will complain about what they are doing with one of the their games. Poor Bioware.

Jul 9, 2008
Vrex360 said:
Kortney said:
Distrusting the opposite race for no logical, valid reason=racist. It's a fine line.
There is a logical and perfectly valid reason though. The main reason Ashley distrusts alien is because she imagines that, when push comes to shove every race will look out for the interests of their own over others. She argues not to mistreat aliens or turn them down as allies but not to also expect aliens to help out in a crisis and instead should be prepared and capable to do things like this on their own.
If you ask me it's a very logical way to look at things. After all the Council have a history of letting problems go on outside of their territory for long perios of time, only stepping in when it endangers them. Quarians have a history of being largely self serving and being too busy with their own problems to bother with the problems of others. Krogans have the reputation of jsut being violent with no interest in helping so much as causing more problems.
Batarians and Geth are isolationists.

It makes sense to argue that these races might not rush to the aid of humans in the event of a disaster, especially not if that same disaster also effects them (the alien race in question).
Think about it, if a giant earthquake caused disaster to both Australia and China, who do you think the Chinese government would be more interested in helping out?

As for Ashley?
This is a mindset that comes from her family name being ground through the dirt due to her granfather being the only human ever to surrender to an alien race. She's had to fight to get where she is and does everything she can to rank up but is held down by the bad family history and subsequently lack of personal experience. Hence she's reverted to the three basic principles that can apply to meeting new cultures:

1. They will look out for their own before us.
2. They didn't get to the apex of their glory by being friendly. Wimps do not become top dogs.
3. They will assume the same rules apply to us.

Also in regards to all this, Ashley says and does numerous things to contradict the idea of her being racist, for instance she never idealizes humans as being superior to aliens, she never argues that aliens are lesser beings.
On Virmire she has no complaint working with the Salarian team and even volunteers for the job. She also hopes for improved relations between Humans and Quarians thanks to Tali helping with Saren. She also despises groups like Terra Firma and will vocalize strongly against them. Also despite showing hostility to Liara, she still notably shows sympathy towards her in regards to the death of her mother (hinting to Shepard to go talk to Liara because 'it's gotta hurt').

Point is, Ashley never had the true irrational bloodied hatred that everyone seems to think she has. It all comes down to practical concerns.
Thank you Vrex. I thought I was going insane, because Ashley made perfect sense to me. I didn't agree with her, but her viewpoint made perfect sense.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I was so pissed when Ashley didn't join me in ME2 when I had the chance to talk to her. I'm glad that we'll be able to find out what's going on with our respective people in ME3.

Also, the fact that Ashely hates Cerberus should show that she's not quite as racist/xenophobic as you might think. She's not against other species being there, she's just a little sore that we're not #1 anymore.

veryboringfact

Apr 2, 2009
Alot of people in this thread seem to be more pent up on the fact the OP didn't like either Ashley or Kaidan and ignoring the fact their presence in the game doesn't neccessarily mean you have to use them - or like them - and I look forward to that annoying pink power-ranger finding out i cheated on her with someone so far her intellectual and physical superior she will have no choice but to cry in her corner until the end of the game.. and who knows.. maybe we'll actually get to kill Ashley ourselves this time instead of leaving her to die like a martyr. Shooting her right in her fat xenophobic little face would make it worth me replaying all the previous games just to make sure she's alive in me3.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
Souplex said:
DeadSpaced said:
I guess part of me was just really looking forward to the return of ME2 characters and/or the implementation of new characters, and I'm seriously wondering how possible this is when it seems that we've already filled half a roster with old characters.
This is why they need to lose Tali and Garrus. I like them and all, but we need to give other Turians and Quarians a chance, and Bioware seems to have a one of each type of minority rule.
Have they mentioned anything about female Turians or was that a load of tosh? It would be interesting to see how that would work

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
As long as Miranda either stays away or is either killed horribly, then i'm fine with it.

Dec 14, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
I DEMAND CORPORAL JENKINS BE RETCONNED BACK TO LIFE!
Remember that kid back on Omega? The one you can stop from joining the mercs hunting Arch Angel?

He has the voice of Jenkins, so, if you let him live, he is still, sort of alive.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
DeadSpaced said:
Really? I mean, honestly. For starters, it's one thing to recycle characters (especially those that PS3 players will not have much insight into) from older titles.
Did you know the specific reason they weren't in ME2, was so that there were no way they could end, and thus fuck up the intended story for ME3?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Im glad Ashley is back, now all I have to do is dump Miranda, Ask her kindly to NOT kill me, and then a romanic take me back moment...

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
i hated kaidan because he wouldnt shut the hell up about his goddamn implants- he whined more than jack and jack was captured and tortured as a child, but i really didn't mind ashley nearly so hard as everyone else did, at least she had a vague explanation for her xenophobia

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Souplex said:
Your confusing having any negative motional baggage with being emo.
Your confusing being moderately distrustful of other species because other species tried to blow up a few of your planets with xenophobic.
So long as Jack, Samara, and Liara stay away things are fine. (Why is every Asari either evil or personality-deficient?)
The only one of those three who hasn't been confirmed in some form is Samara. Liara is a squaddie, Jack's VA posted on twitter about her return. Things are apparently not fine, for you. I am quite happy about it, on the other hand.

Sep 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Kaiden had a fucked up childhood(taken from his parents, forced into a place to learn his powers), and your surprised he has issues? Anybody would have issues if they went through what he did.

Ashley's grandfather is the only human to surrender to aliens. As a result she's been basically shafted most of the time. Its perfectly normal and human to harbor resentment towards aliens because of this. She doesn't hate them all with the fiery passion you seem to think she does. In fact, she hates Cerberus more, because they're far more extreme towards them. And after talking to you, she's far more accepting of aliens.

They're actually the most human characters in the game.
this. they are actually amazing characters after first glance.

someone posted somewhere defending ashley vs. all the praise tali gets and i can't be bothered to dig it up but it was an amazing breakdown of both characters,

and how is it lazy in any possible way? because they are using characters that were there at the beginning? wah?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I suppose it's unfortunate for you that you didn't design the game, otherwise you could only include those characters you liked.

I also suppose it's fortunate for all the fans who have been begging for this that you aren't in charge either. The last time I visited the Bioware forums those Ashley/Kaidan support groups were still going strong.

For me, as long as the game stacks up to the previous installments, I'll be happy, old characters or no. I liked and hated some of the additions to ME2. I'm sure I'll like and hate some of the characters for ME3. It isn't going to stop me from playing a great game though. That's the fantastic part of being able to choose which companions you bring with you on fights, and which you bother to talk to. It's easy enough not to ever talk to the ones you hate.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Id much rather have Liara and Ashley/Kaidan than any of the garbage I got saddled with in ME2 (okay Samara and Mordin were good, but the rest were just singularly crap).

The truth is, ME2 fans were made aware of their precarious state long ago, before ME2 was even released.

Here is what Casey Hudson said on the absent ME1 squadmates from ME2 (Liara, Ashley, Kaidan):

"We actually want to make sure these characters survive the ME2 story, which ultimately is a suicide mission: some of your crew will almost certainly die. Some of the ME1 characters are back, and recruitable (more than you might think), and the ones that aren't still play an important role in the story and will be around for ME3 - which we can't say for the new characters."

In short, if you dont like that these ME1 characters who missed out on ME2 are now all but certain to return as key squadmates, tough shit.

Its what you get for expecting those expendable characters in ME2 to be automatically in your squad for ME3.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Ramin 123 said:
Souplex said:
DeadSpaced said:
I guess part of me was just really looking forward to the return of ME2 characters and/or the implementation of new characters, and I'm seriously wondering how possible this is when it seems that we've already filled half a roster with old characters.
This is why they need to lose Tali and Garrus. I like them and all, but we need to give other Turians and Quarians a chance, and Bioware seems to have a one of each type of minority rule.
Have they mentioned anything about female Turians or was that a load of tosh? It would be interesting to see how that would work
Turians are bug reptiles. Females wouldn't have breasts. I bet you've already encountered plenty and just didn't know it.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
adrian_exec said:
Personally I don't care of any of my companions in Mass Effect 3 as long as I have Tali and so far no news if she will make a come-back, crossing fingers that she will.
No worries. The GI artical says a few times over that all the big players *will* be back. ALL of them. Not that they'll all be squadmates. The mag seems to indicate THAT won't happen, as there'd be too many if you keep everyone alive. Tali will be there, in one way or another. And honestly, she's my Fav. side charater, her and Garrus, but, i never much cared for her as a squad mate. I prefrued using biotic teammates for warp bombing when i was a biotic, or Grunt/Garus for, well, just about any other class i'd play. Throw in Zehaad when i needed some disruptor ammo and didn't have it myself.

I'd be perfectly fine with Tali in a support role. So long as the love intrest angle is followed up. Which i'm completely 100% sure it will be. Bioware wouldn't want to deal with that level of nerd rage for it's fan base... (same deal with, well, prolly all romances, but essepcall tali / garrus. )