[back to gaming] What are you playing now?

SidheKnight

Nov 28, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
SidheKnight said:
The original Half-Life.

Everybody makes references to it and I'm tired of not getting them. Also the consensus is that this is one of the best FPSes of all time. I'm sure this game was awesome compared to it's contemporaries, but playing it today, it bores me. All of the revolutionary innovations that distinguished the original Half-Life, today are commonplace in most shooters.

Also, the story is nowhere near as good as people told me it was, and I think it's not even finished yet? (Maybe that's the reason for all the Half-Life 3 craze).
I just had to quote you on that, and perhaps compel you to study that sentence more in-depth.
Those, at that time revolutionary, innovations. Commonplace, ordinary, mundane, "boring" today, 16 years later.

Now, I'm no die-hard FPS fan. Nor do I feel that HL is THE greatest FPS, but it still bears thinking about.

Kudos on you for taking the time and effort to enjoy a piece of gaming history.
Thanks.

That's exactly what I meant.

I know HL was revolutionary at the time. I tried to play it then, but my computer at the time was a potato so I stuck with my PSOne. But even then, I could appreciate all the advances the game made. I really wanted to play it at decent framerate, but my PC-shaped toaster couldn't handle it. And I had no money.

Now I'm playing it mostly for historic value, but I have been spoiler by newer, flashier titles (not just graphically, but also in terms of storytelling and mechanics). That's why I'll never be able to enjoy it as much as someone who played it when it was new.

Half-Life's innovations that distinguished the game from it's contemporaries have been integrated into mainstream FPS's today, that's why I can't enjoy it as much as someone who played it then. For the same reason that I will not be impressed by a TV show proudly announcing that it's "In TECHNICOLOR" or "In STEREO". Those things are just a given today.

Examples:

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Between occasional PUB or PUG matches of Titanfall, Dota 2, or Left 4 Dead 2, I'm slowly working my way through my backlog of Steam titles.

Slogged my way through Thief Gold while also blazing through Sniper Elite v2. Now I'm on to Alan Wake (never finished) and Rage (also never finished). Planning on delving into Krater, Shadowrun Returns, and Capsized afterward.

Still need to get around to finishing Borderlands 2, but I have to tell you....really finding it hard to justify doing so. More likely is a return to Legend of Grimrock to finish it out.

I've had some much appreciated free time lately.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
TF2, as always. Waiting on the fourth installment of the comic series -- a little over a year ago, they said the six and final installment would be out by now.

Payday 2, since they fixed the problem of the game being a huge grindfest where you started to value gaining experience over having fun, finally has been fun again. I never thought I'd install the game again after the Gage Shotgun Pack, but I can't get enough of it knowing that I can hop into any mission, have fun, and have a meaningful reward for it at the end. Loving a Mastertech build, but I'm about to go Infamous really soon.

Zeno Clash 2, finally got around to it despite loving the first Zeno Clash. And it's... not that great, honestly, the game is filled with abrupt stops and open-worlds where the first game was extremely linear but fluent. Plus the combat is different enough for it to affect me, so I don't think I'll be finishing it.

BF4, though I'm holding back currently until they get the enormous CTE major rebalance patch passed sometime later this month.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Too many games. In the past week or so, I've split up my free-time between a NG+ play-through of Darksiders II, Black Flag, Terraria (on my Vita, of all things; I don't know what compels me to play it on a handheld when I can also play it on my laptop with a keyboard and mouse, but something does, apparently), mucking about in The Sims 2 and Persona 3 Portable. I've been intending to finish AC IV and P3P for quite some time so I can shift my focus to other games in my backlog, like Dead Space 2 and Final Fantasy IV (I don't like having more than one JRPG on the go at once), but I get easily distracted.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Recently finished up Pokemon Heart Gold, and did the trade with my Platinum, so now I finally have a Charizard with Defog as a TM instead of an HM...........(never again shall I go through that convoluted process again...).

Recently got the Ultimate Evil edition of Diablo 3 for the XBox360: Love it a lot, and I intend to play more whenever I find the time to do so. But either way, this is my last game I'm purchasing for now, because I'm trying to save up to buy some of the new games that are coming out this fall.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Recently received Lego: Marvel Super Heroes for the Wii U from Gamefly last week. Me and the Lady have been playing it a lot since then and haven't beaten it but we've unlocked a lot. Planning on buying it when we got the money for it.

Before that I got State of Decay on Steam during the sale and LOVED IT! Haven't played it for a week but that's because of Lego Marvel.

Also playing a lot of One Finger Death Punch. Seriously that game is so freaking awesome! It's probably one of the best games I've played in years.

And finally... with Sims 4 out now, I've been playing Sims 3 a lot. Using the Nrass Master Controller mod so I can control the whole city.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Marvel Puzzle Quest
It's been my main game since about April of this year and I easily invest several hours a day into it.

Hearthstone
My backup game of choice. I play this regularly for the daily quests (typically playing every 2 days or so) but I'm not hardcore into it despite owning every card in the set :p

Walking Dead Season 2
With episode 5 coming out I opted to replay the franchise as a lead in to season 2. I'm up to season 2 episode 4 now. Once this game is done I'll likely move on to the Dragon Age franchise in preparation for Inquisition.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I just recently FINALLY beat the last boss of Super Meat Boy. I mean, I'm aware that there's more levels to play... but Dr Fetus almost made my thumbs fall off. I'm done, for the moment.

As for what I'm playing now... well, I went from the high-stress Super Meat Boy to the low-stress Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Really enjoying it. I've never played an Animal Crossing game before, and I really dig it. And not just the fossils, either. *rimshot*

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've mostly been playing World of Tanks here recently, but I've also been playing Rayman Legends and Borderlands 2 a fair bit. Though I'm kind of at a bit in Borderlands 2 where I need help to do certain things, but getting the help I need for any period of time is a bit of a challenge.

Mr Fixit said:
Been paying Borderlands for the first time & really enjoying it, but it would be nice to have some others to play with.
I could probably help you with that. Would just need to reinstall the DLC and figure out when we could play. Hopefully your mic would decide to work, but if it doesn't then stopping to send messages shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Fijiman said:
I've mostly been playing World of Tanks here recently, but I've also been playing Rayman Legends and Borderlands 2 a fair bit. Though I'm kind of at a bit in Borderlands 2 where I need help to do certain things, but getting the help I need for any period of time is a bit of a challenge.

Mr Fixit said:
Been paying Borderlands for the first time & really enjoying it, but it would be nice to have some others to play with.
I could probably help you with that. Would just need to reinstall the DLC and figure out when we could play. Hopefully your mic would decide to work, but if it doesn't then stopping to send messages shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I'm game to give it a try, the only dlc I have is the Island of Dr Ned & I can get a better mic if I have to. I'm planning on getting Borderlands 2 as well after having so much fun with the first one.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Mr Fixit said:
Fijiman said:

Mr Fixit said:
I'm game to give it a try, the only dlc I have is the Island of Dr Ned & I can get a better mic if I have to. I'm planning on getting Borderlands 2 as well after having so much fun with the first one.
Cool. Feel free to go ahead and shoot me a friend request and we'll see where it goes from there.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Fijiman said:
Mr Fixit said:
Fijiman said:

Mr Fixit said:
Cool. Feel free to go ahead and shoot me a friend request and we'll see where it goes from there.
Sounds good to me.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Well, I am playing my Civ 5 save very slowly...

And I have gotten some intro games of LoL in (because that's all anyone in China plays) and I suck and I don't enjoy the game because I am constantly told how much I suck.

And on my iPad, I am tapping away at Commander: The Great War, which is a lovely strategy game about World War I which I suck at.

Can't wait for Civ Beyond Earth. And when I go back to the UK for Christmas with the family, I shall be bringing my PS4 back to China. With Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty, Styx; Master of Shadows all looking very sexy on it.

But I have re-downloaded all the Total Wars with the intention to play and finish at least a campaign with all of them. Maybe even a Let's Play.

But I don't have the TIME!

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Edition :D I fucking love these games, they're hack and slashes and they're not afraid of it, I don't know why these games (7 and 8) just make me the happiest. Not to mention it's awesome to play with friends over due to how easy it is to bring someone it with little or no knowledge and they still kick ass!

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Been spending some time in the Nehrim mod for Oblivion. This is its own adventure of a land even larger than Oblivions, with plenty of storytelling and things. Spent 60 hours so far, and still not at the end.

Best thing about it, it is more like Gothic than TES. Yes, you heard that right.

Heartily recommend for someone that wants a different TES world.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
A pinch of Diablo 3 ROS farming with my Seasonal Demon Hunter.

In between that I watch a lot of anime and I'm personally waiting for Archeage and Wasteland 2 this month.