[back to gaming] What are you playing now?

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Watch_Dogs

Managed to pick it up cheap and...it's terrible.

Maybe it's just that I've been playing a lot of racing games lately, but the driving in Watch_Dogs is HORRIBLE. The cars might as well be on ice for all the control they have. Aiden is as hollow and empty as people have said, and his unnecessary gruffness is so over the top as to be absurd. So far, the only Digital Trip worth doing is the Spider Tank, because Madness is fucking broken, and the Psychedelia one has a camera that constantly wants to be somewhere else, making aiming frustrating. Add in the fact these are often interminably long, with no checkpoints in the case of Madness, and it's a wonder people aren't losing their shit. My completionist brain is screaming because it wants the stupid coat from the trips, but damn if I can manage it. Also, the whole invasion thing can suck eggs. Screw that noise.

Most Wanted 2012

I gave in and bought the DLC packs. I hate myself and Watch_Dogs was my punishment (and I'm wondering if I deserve such a terrible punishment). Currently enjoying doing the races for every vehicle so much, I have only taken down 2 of the Most Wanted cars (and the BMW 1 Series M3 GTR). Again, stupid completion compulsion.

Thief 4

I own it, and I wish I didn't. All of the Thief 1 & 2 player in me is screaming at how bad this game is. Contextual rope arrow usage? BOO! Flaky stealth system? BOO! The ability to kill being a valid playstyle? FUCKING BOO!

*deep breath*

There are nice little touches, like the animations for extinguishing candles and looting, and while I agree the "swoop" feels lifted from Dishonored, I don't see any other was to cross some of the lit areas in the game, and it does have a negative if you use it near birds (and if you set the custom difficulty option of Alerts fail the Mission it's close to a good experience) so I can overlook it. But overall, it feels horrible and nothing like a thief game to me.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Dragon Quest VIII

I'm about 20 hours in and this game is every bit as awesome as I remember it, the cell-shaded/Dragon Ballish aesthetic has aged beautifully, and the battle system is still awesome, a true testament to purely turn based battle systems done right.

Dear Goddess am I glad that I bought the strategy guide all those years ago though, 'cause without it I don't know how I'd make this Alchemy shit work.

Also picked up TF2 again 'cause why the hell not.
Spoiler alert: I still suck.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Civ 5 -just finished a game where I was going for a research victory with Korea. However, one of my friends was steamrolling across the map towards me. Unfortunately for him, he was still using musketmen while I was using tanks. He did not realize this since I had been saving a large amount of gold so that I could suddenly buy 3 tanks. Needless to say, those three tanks decimated his forces and I ended up just going for the domination victory since it was faster.

Mount and Blade Warband -specifically a mod called Prophecy of Pendor. It makes the native game feel like a tutorial considering all of the added features. My custom knighthood order has finally been fully upgraded with everything that I want and are now ready to take over the world.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Playing Gundam Breaker... later missions are too hard for solo, a bit discouraging really... 'guess I will try online play. :"(

Just got Danganronpa 2!! Gonna try it later tonight too!

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Got back into final fantasy 12 with a vengeance. This is my third or fourth attempt at it over several years. The problem I kept running into in earlier attempts was that even though the game gives you complete freedom over your character builds, there are plenty of ways to eff it up. Which isn't clear until 10 or more hours into the story, at which point restarting is a very bitter pill to swallow. Not the best game design there if you ask me, and the developers themselves eventually admitted this in a way: in the remake they later made, they added straight up jobs like timemage and knight to the game.

This time I have it on lockdown though. Mostly because I went on a little wikipedia frenzy and looked up what exactly the difference is between the 16 types of weapons you can use. Thus bypassing another mayor frustration of the game: it only partially tells you how different weapon types work and figuring it out for yourself is difficult due to the weapons being too expensive to just buy and sell willy nilly.

Ironically, now that I know what I'm doing I'm enjoying making my own character classes a lot. Even if it seems to take quite a bit of out-of-game theory crafting. This is possibly a side effect of my days in the firefall beta, where making a well optimized frame was arguably as hard as building a custom PC. (I had to break out excel at several points.) Just like with final fantasy 12 I initially hated that, but came to really enjoy it once I understood the basics.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Gone back to WoW for the new expansion, currently hitting cap on more characters (done Priest and Rogue this week, Druid is an hour or so from completion). Really enjoying it again, trying to pick new main for the next year or so.

And then I got the smash demo and that kinda sucked up my time. Mega man is the most fun ever.

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
I always like replaying Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky (Jesus, what a ridiculous title).
Beyond that, Age of Empires III and Minecraft.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Bunch of games at once, as per my usual.
-Destiny(mostly with my friends, but I have soloed a good chunk of it)
-Laytin vs Wright(love that shit)
-Ace Attourney Dual Destinies(see above)
-Ace Attourney Collection(iOS, see above)
-Super Danganronpa 2(still trying to get the hang of Rebuttal Showdown)
-Borderlands 2(I'm always playing that, since release)
-FFX(just beat Yunalesca, Lulu's overdrive is damn impossible on Vita)
-Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den(mostly to show my friends, who had never played a Bioshock game. They own them all now)
That's all I have going at this moment

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Destiny and Tales of Xillia 2. I enjoy both for these games, but feel like my time with Destiny is coming to an end as i got level 20 it feels like a grindy chore more and more!

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
Just finished Gemini Rue and Ben There Dan That/Time Gentlemen Please
Still deciding if I should continue on Jolly Rogers or play something else instead

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have been playing Borderlands 2 on my Laptop. I had it on the 360, but got caught in the glitch and got annoyed. I bought a new Laptop recently and have found a love for shooters on it, so now I am playing through it on there... and My god it's better! :S

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Played through the story missions of Destiny and had a blast. Not memorable in the slightest but very fun regardless. I can see the potential of this franchise, so I hope they release some spectacular DLC for the first game and/or take the feedback into account for the sequel. I would love to see some more atmospheric and small-scale/intimate settings with Destiny's gameplay. FEAR2 is my most favorite FPS of all time but this could blow it out of the water.

Now I'm onto the last bit of Metro 2033 Redux and after that I'll probably replay Last Light. Kind of scripted and linear but more than makes up for it with its kick-ass atmosphere and authentic setting. This has me thinking about a mix between FEAR, Metro and Destiny which would be sooooo awesome. :p

I also got the DLC for Darks Souls 2 which I plan to play, probably later this week.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
The 2010 Aliens vs. Predator game.
I'm having a hard time seeing why this got a lot of the flak that it did, as I'm having a blast. Especially with the Xenomorph.
Sure, the Marine campaign is an absolute drag, but I've come up with an ingenious workaround to this dilemma that involves not playing it.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I am nuzlocking Soulsilver.

The 2nd gen is my favourite and I love the remakes too.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
A combination of Resident Evil: Revelations, Dark Souls and the Smash Bros 3DS demo. I wish I could play more but I'm a student so I need to focus on school (and my band).

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Been playing an unhealthy amount of ultra street fighter 4 for the past 2 months. Also almost done with Enemy Within expansion for xcom. Those are my main focuses right now. Also been playing a bunch of sonic games.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Finally got around to actually downloading the map packs for BF3 I got with the disc. Took 5 hours. When I got on the maps, no one was there and the maps were somewhat lacklustre. Favourite maps are still Grand Bazaar and Operation Metro.

Picked up Journey. Holy damn is that an excellent game. Haven't come across another game that made me go all giddy with the visuals and the music. There are still 5 other games on the same disc so I have to get around to playing those.

SimSity 4: Unpleasable Advisor Edition. Title speaks for itself.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Recently picked up The Wonderful 101 so I've been blazing through that. Not as polished as Bayonetta but still one of Platinum's best. Besides that I'm also thinking about getting addicted to Europa Universalis 4 with the Warning States mod. Probably'll be another 50 hours I'll spend plaiyng as Scotland or something. Also playing the occasional TF2 and BF4 match.

shrekfan246 said:
Nothing, really.

I've been getting back into Hearthstone, but aside from that I haven't really played any video games in the past month for longer than an hour or so.
Seeing all of the really vile shite that's been flung around the internet for the past few weeks has really soured my taste for playing anything at the moment. Every time I think about it I just get reminded of how utterly horrifying the people who share one of my favorite hobbies can be all because they don't have to worry about accountability on the internet, and don't think about the effect their words might have on other people.

I mean, whenever I do get back to it, I've got plenty of things to play. The Wolf Among Us, Dark Souls II, Divinity: Original Sin, been replaying Mark of the Ninja and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends II, I still have to finish Super Mario 3D World, and I kind of want to play a Sims game again after watching so many people put out videos on The Sims 4. But I just don't have the urge right now.
Dunno if this is gonna help you much, but look on the bright side: most gamers aren't aware of the Zoe Quinn/Gamergate/whatever shit and don't care as they're having too much fun playing videogames. Out of the tens of millions of gamers in the US alone, only a few thousand (or ten thousand if we're being generous) are even aware of the Zoe stuff. So it's not like 80% of gaming out there are assholes just because 80% of the gamers you've seen recently seem to be.

Personally I can say I only have one gamer buddy out of 8 that are even aware of the shit going down on concerning the Gamergate stuff and even she's too busy playing Payday 2 to really care.