Battlefield 3 Sells a Lot

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
NewYork_Comedian said:
Greg Tito said:
Take that, CoD!
Err, not that I am upset that Battlefield 3 sold so well, but it's not like this is like a huge *****-slap to Activison. If it took a week for BF3 to sell 5 million copies, and it took one day for Modern Warfare 2 to sell seven million copies, then I think the sales figures for MW3 will be almost double that of Battlefield 3.
I got the feeling that was meant to be sarcastic...

It's nowhere near what MW3 will do, but it's still some great numbers. They still need to double those figures if they want to get a win in my book (half of CoD is a pretty big win).
Also, I'd love to see what systems those sales are distributed to.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I know that many of you think that MW3 may sell even better than MW2, but i think otherwise. First of all, people are getting bored of it, just like with Guitar Hero - Acti milks it's franchises till even the biggest fans will stop buying it - and i think that sales will start dropping after this installment. Next, most people who bought BF3 aren't going to buy MW3, and because the consumer base for both of these games is identical, MW3 won't get the sales it probably would have if it was released prior to BF3. Finally, the MW3 seems to have one of the most idiotic plots I've ever seen - even the the trailer has enough of stupidity to make it a pain to watch, and trailer is usually the compilation of best moments.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Greg Tito sounds like a Call of Duty fan.

(A regular Shirlock I am, I know. :p)
Even if he is, he isnt wrong to point out that it took a week for Battlefield 3 to sell less copies than Modern Warfare 2 did in a single day.

Personally I can not wait for MW3 to get released and for those sales figures to absolutely blow Battlefield 3 away if only so I can see that one guy at EA go "We so took 1% of your market share away Activision. Suck it!" Then someone at Activision will be all "And guess what...we sold enough copies of MW3 to buy EA so...you're fired." It'll be hilarious.
MW3 is going to outsell BF3, despite its dated engine, wide ranging palatte of greys, and predictable story. It's a sure bet, because it's an established brand name... Imagine how tough a time any company would have trying to unseat Google from its current throne. Not only would the new company have to come out with something stellar, but Google would have to have some serious missteps of its own.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I wonder how many of those 5 million sales come from people actively 'Boycotting' EA or Origin's practices. My guess is 50 percent.

I have no interest in this FPS war personally, but I'm glad to see COD has at least one serious competitor to push it forward.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Domehammer said:
Isn't since your forced online for pc to play single player mean that 98.9 connection rate equals that not everyone can play or people do not have online for console. It seems like just pointless statistic to sound credible for being close to 100 percent.
You can play bf3 singleplayer offline. Just switch origin to offline mode. Dont start misinformation.

But it's cool that you actually spend the time to analyse statitics way to few people expend that effort.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
wow ... -.- the big gray-a-thon FPS sold really well, there's a shocker. -.-

must ask, how is this news? wasn't it a forgone conclusion it was gonna sell stupidly well?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
What can men do against such reckless hate?
Bonus points for the Lord of the Rings reference.

OT: Now I'm feeling slightly sad that I'm missing out on all the fun, but I've to stick by Origin boycott, otherwise, my words will be simply whispers in the wind.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
It's a really depressing sight to see that 5 million shipped copies of a game, is apparently "meh" these days... Not that I don't understand that AAA-titles are becoming more expensive (Oh, and has BF3 been expensive) to produce, but.... 5 million!
In a week! Even if it only doubles that, I would consider it a great succes...

Sad fact: People's expectations for quality has been lowered, but their expectations for sales have been raised...

Best Regards

ReaperGrimm

Jun 2, 2011
Now time to enjoy Battlefield 3 until the bandwagon kids jump ship and run the franchise into the ground like COD. then I have to find a new FPS game maybe hop back on Counter Strike.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Greg Tito said:
And who knows how ridiculously well Modern Warfare 3 will sell when it comes out next week?

(Answer: 14 googolplexes. Less than 10 million, this time.)

Of my 30 Xbox Live friends, only 5 are getting it, 4 of those I wouldn't even call true friends. So far today 12 were playing battlefield at once, with 3 more waiting on the postman & playing Gears 3/ LoL.

MW2 was wank, BO was boring; and MW3 will be wank. That's the way it works with Activision. Next year will be the last of CoD before they axe it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
What can men do against such reckless hate?
love that haha

but I don't love Black Ops much. felt that Modern Warfare 2 was a better game overall (and CoD4 is way above both), but not holding my breath for MW3. not truly Infinity Ward but hey it still looks fun enough (will probably rent it or borrow from a friend)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
i wonder how halo 4 will sell?

though i can guarantee it will have better replay value (campaign wise.)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
theriddlen said:
I know that many of you think that MW3 may sell even better than MW2, but i think otherwise. First of all, people are getting bored of it, just like with Guitar Hero - Acti milks it's franchises till even the biggest fans will stop buying it - and i think that sales will start dropping after this installment. Next, most people who bought BF3 aren't going to buy MW3, and because the consumer base for both of these games is identical, MW3 won't get the sales it probably would have if it was released prior to BF3. Finally, the MW3 seems to have one of the most idiotic plots I've ever seen - even the the trailer has enough of stupidity to make it a pain to watch, and trailer is usually the compilation of best moments.
Your forgetting about one thing. Battlefield 3 is currently a buggy ass piece of fucking shit that should never have been released in this state. If they dont patch the bugs that currently make the multiplayer unplayable then they will loose a lot of customers to mw3.
implying that COD has ever TRIED to fix it's bugs. seriously, COD4 still has the same fucking bugs it had on release!

at least DICE and EA DO patch their games.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
theriddlen said:
Your forgetting about one thing. Battlefield 3 is currently a buggy ass piece of fucking shit that should never have been released in this state. If they dont patch the bugs that currently make the multiplayer unplayable then they will loose a lot of customers to mw3.
The last time I bumped into you, Satsuki, you tried defending CoD in a less-than successful manner. We must be the Yin & Yang of FPS or summin' :D

This is day 3/4 of Battlefield, I'm finding less problems with it than MW2 still has now (and even what isn't broken is massively unbalanced in CoD [small]*M16/Stopping_Power-cough*[/small]). Also baring in mind Dice are posting information on what they're fixing AND not to mention the game is only in its first week of release. Give it some time and they'll have it ticking over like clockwork, not that its broken.

XaVierDK said:
I have a friend who is only doing very basic software design, and even with their quite rudamentary code, bugs crop up... I can scarcely imagine how many could be hidden in this game under some obscure line of code...
That's exactly it. For my Computing A-Level coursework I had to write a program. Testing and bug recording was the vast majority of the overall mark. It's incredible what can cause an error when it comes to programming. Size 10 font, over 100 pages of bugs - It was a simple fire audit program mixed with a few calculations & some heavy validation.

So what makes it so surprising with CoD, is they keep recycling this game engine and still fuck it up. Yet Dice have a significantly more complicated and brand spanking new engine, and have only 1/10 of the gamebreaking faults.

You're backing the wrong horse, dude. I'm not even a BF fanboy, I just know where to put my time and my money.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Calico93 said:
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.
Yes, and it doesn't mean its the worse game either.

It just means that they are different games. They sooner people understand that, the less repetitive this random "military shooter" bickering will end.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
I know this is gonna sound like a fanboy qoute, or whatever you want to call it, but... I have not, in my considerable playtime already clocked on BF3, seen a single bug since the beta... At least not one which could not be attributed to horrible servers...
Overall, it's far less buggy than Black Ops on release (one bug prevented me from entering the game past the main menu, another crashed my game whenever I melee'd someone).. Sure, they were ironed out, but gamestopping bugs, I have not seen on BF3 yet...
Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe I just keep my computer up-to-date, or maybe some people whine without checking if it might not be DICE's fault...

My only real complaint is that on the second night after I got the game, Battlelog was a little buggy... Gone the next day though...

Of course they'll patch the bugs, along with some balancing changes (I hope, though it's actually not beyond the realm of reason that this is a quite balanced game out the door)... But it's a huge game, and no matter how much QA you run before release, in a game like this, you will never catch all the bugs millions of players will find running around on live servers...
I have a friend who is only doing very basic software design, and even with their quite rudamentary code, bugs crop up... I can scarcely imagine how many could be hidden in this game under some obscure line of code...

Best Regards :)

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Bvenged said:
This is day 3/4 of Battlefield, I'm finding less problems with it than MW2 still has now (and even what isn't broken in unbalanced). Also baring in mind Dice are posting information on what they're fixing AND not to mention the game is only in its first week of release. Give it some time and they'll have it ticking over like clockwork, not that its broken.
I don't know what you mean by that. The CoD series never had a big problem with getting people into a game passed the first day of playtime.

Out of about the 12 hours I've played so far, I think I've maybe gotten into about 5 or 6 games with a four friends, and about 1 of those times we were actually on the same team. For a game that really can't be experienced properly without a full squad, it's really rather disappointing that they haven't had that fixed yet.

Especially seeing how they released a beta for the game.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Calico93 said:
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.
Yes, and it doesn't mean its the worse game either.

It just means that they are different games. They sooner people understand that, the less repetitive this random "military shooter" bickering will end.
Couldn't agree more.