Battlefield 3 Sells a Lot

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I've enjoyed the BF and COD series since they've been kicking around and while I'm sure MW3 will be good, this is really the best I've ever seen BF pull off a strong MP game with extremely realistic parameters. Destructible walls, concrete cover that disintegrates slowly as its shot at. Good vech combat with fairly balanced ground counters to it.

Have to say, I'm enjoying what BF3 has turned out to be. No crashes or issues here other than occasionally when a server crashes or drops my connection but its not like thats never happened in COD either.

All in all it may not take the title as the highest selling FPS shooter of the year, but its definitely well worth the purchase in the multiplayer department.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It couldn't possibly be from more people playing video games these days ... nope! ... its because its a good copy of a copy of a copy of a game! Sorry but I don't buy EA's PR buzz, and I'm thankful I didn't as all of my friends who have the game are having nothing but problems.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
5 Million, big whoop. 10 Million in first week for MW3 I reckon, easy. I know I will be buying day one and giving them a ding on their counter.

Mumorpuger said:
Imagine how tough a time any company would have trying to unseat Google from its current throne. Not only would the new company have to come out with something stellar, but Google would have to have some serious missteps of its own.
MicroSoft already tried with Bing. It didn't work at all. I remember MS tried to sue Google over that too.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
It is kind of sad to see the cost effective genres slowly dwindling. As the price to make a game increases, fewer and fewer genres are viable as AAA titles. It seems like all you see nowadays are action RPGs and FPS games. I wonder if it will dwindle even further? Eventually finding any other genre will require looking to indie developers.
That's not really lamentable, indie developers are doing an absolutely superb job so far and I have absolutely no problem looking to them for all my gaming needs.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Mumorpuger said:
Imagine how tough a time any company would have trying to unseat Google from its current throne. Not only would the new company have to come out with something stellar, but Google would have to have some serious missteps of its own.
MicroSoft already tried with Bing. It didn't work at all. I remember MS tried to sue Google over that too.
Yes, exactly. The Modern Warfare franchise won't be usurped until people grow sick of the same tired formula the series has been running into the ground, but regarding that I have more faith that Apple-users or Madden-players would come to their senses sooner than the typical MW fan.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Their numbers are pretty good considering just about every person I met who preferred CoD over Battlefield never played it and immediately dismissed it for CoD being the superior game.

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
Actually wish that the mw3 and battlefield both released on the same day. I work at gamestop and if we had two top game releases like that, it would be a huge turn out. And then we could have a fair comparison between mw3 and battlefield 3. So far I enjoyed battlefield 3, now lets see what mw3 has to offer

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
5 million the first week in 2011 compared to 7 million on day one for a 2 year old game...yeah not really too impressive for the goals it set out.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Glad to hear it. In my opinion, Battlefield is so much better than Call of Duty, it's not even funny.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Calling it now for MW3: 21 million units sold (not shipped) by year end.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
It's amazing that COD can make so much money and yet keep producing the same mediocre hunk of garbage year after year. Then again, I suppose if it was actually good it wouldn't appeal to such a mainstream audience.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Bvenged said:
Greg Tito said:
And who knows how ridiculously well Modern Warfare 3 will sell when it comes out next week?

(Answer: 14 googolplexes. Less than 10 million, this time.)

Of my 30 Xbox Live friends, only 5 are getting it, 4 of those I wouldn't even call true friends. So far today 12 were playing battlefield at once, with 3 more waiting on the postman & playing Gears 3/ LoL.

MW2 was wank, BO was boring; and MW3 will be wank. That's the way it works with Activision. Next year will be the last of CoD before they axe it.
Actually, pre-orders for MW3 have already outsold Blops. (Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88356/americas-preorders-chart-29-october-2011-uncharted-3/)

Your friends =/= all people in the world for video games.

People tend to associate with other people of similar interests and tastes, leading to a whole lot of confirmation bias. Every single one of my friends is getting it. Using your logic, it'll be the best-selling game in history!

...Oh wait it probably will be ;p

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
I can recommend BF3, too. Played through the campaign on day 1 without any crashes or gfx anomalies and never had any disconnects or PB kicks in several hours of MP (32 player servers only though).

REALLY great title, get it!

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Calico93 said:
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.
That... doesnt matter to the people at the top. That matters to the people who actually make the games, not the people running the companies.

And its the people at the top that have their PR guys brag about money.