Battlefield 3 Sells a Lot

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
matrix3509 said:
GODDAMINIT when will this FPS shit-a-thon end?
I second that, this grey-ish brown shooter monopoly has gone on long enough! GIVE ME SOME GOD DAMN 3D PLATFORMERS!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Battlefield really did pick the wrong time to be released, in my eyes. Oh no, not CoD. I'm not even gonna touch CoD this time round, but Zelda, Skryim, Saint's row 3, Batman. All those games look infinitely more interesting, so they get my moneyz. Seeing as it's rivalling cod, it's doubtful it's gonna go on sale either, so I guess it'll be a miss for quite a while.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
So far the bugs I have ran into are this.

Shotguns will only reload 50% - I've not had this problem at all.

Knifing also randomly fails a decent amount of the time. - Holding down the knife button
only draws the knife, whereas clicking it is a quick stab regardless of what's equipped.

Movement is another serious issue. - It's a fresh new engine, expect some faults, give it some time and be patient, it's a massive FPS built around destructible environment, there will be, sometimes ping-related, issues like these especially while they're conducting server maintenance & engine tweaks.

There is also an issue with joining as a party. - We all suffered from this, if you can read, at the main menu in the top right there is a little message from Dice stating they're working to resolve this issue as soon a possible and to avoid using Quick Match but instead to use the server browser, which does work if you join half-full lobbies. I too play with friends and today that problem was resolved for us
Honestly, all of these were problems in their own way for CoD weeks after launch. I couldn't play games with a party size of 3+ on both MW2 & BO without it crashing. Knifing on MW2 is ridiculously easy, and in all seriousness these problems are not gamebreaking except for the shotgun bug. Which will more than likely be resolved. In retrospective to CoD, they barely scratch the surface.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The MW3 vs BF3 debate is pretty stupid. It probably won't sell as much as MW3, or maybe not even close. But, that doesn't mean one is actually better than another. They appeal to different crowds. The BF3 crowd is a bit more "hardcore", if something can be said to be. The matches are longer and on larger area (the good maps, anyway). I'm not afraid to say they also require a bit more skill. But, MW3 (if it's like previous incarnation, which it most likely will be) will be the faster twitch based one. This will be the more visceral and exciting one. You most likely will also not be stuck being completely dominated in MW3. I won't compare the single player because... well because that is just stupid. A small little lackluster campaign can't make these games.

matrix3509 said:
GODDAMINIT when will this FPS shit-a-thon end?
As soon as it's not profitable for there to be a lot of FPS games, unfortunately.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I'm happy to see that my favourite FPS series is not only doing well, but better than it's previously ever done. From what I've had time to play, I'm absolutely lovin' it.
[small]Badaba baba...[/small]

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
TwitchyGamer101 said:
In fact, EA said that the military shooter is now the fastest-selling game in the publisher's 29-year history, and players enjoyed killing each other on EA's servers this weekend with a 98.9 percent connection rate. Take that, CoD!
98.9 connection rate? Funny, I was under the impression that many users are experiencing crashes. And some not even able to get into a game, because of battelog. Must not be counting PC gamers.
I would take that statistic with a huge pinch of salt reminds me of the train times, yes this month 97% of all trains ran on time. Really then I suppose the ones I took all belonged to that last 3% again.

As for BF3 selling a lot I dont think that was ever under any question but I think MW3 will easily top it and I wont be helping either but I will probably account for 10% of the sales of King of Fighters XIII when it is released by picking up my copy (hope that is not the case though)

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Calico93 said:
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.
Exactly, it shouldn't matter how much a game sells to determine if it's a good game. Which is why I'm baffled that people want Battlefield to replace CoD. Why? Is it really that big of a deal? They're two different games the main difference is that Battlefield is boring as shit...err I mean more realistic and alot of vehicles while CoD is all about being boring and as bland as shit....I mean close quarters combat.

I know there's the argument of "It's the same thing every year!"Well Battlefield 3 is even worse, there's nothing new in it it's just the same shit they released years ago with BF2 with a new engine, and the worst part is they're putting back in what they took out in the Bad Company series! That would be like CoD taking out Spec Ops, half the guns and air strikes then re-releasing it in a new game claiming it's new!

Personally I find war shooters the same as I find fantasy games, all bland uncreative and uninspired games meant to make fanboy's of those things cry out for more.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
I liked BF3. Enjoyed it much more than Bad Company 2, and I suspect I'll enjoy it even after MW3 comes out. But I dont see it outselling MW3.

Why? Because EA put their production schedule around "beating CoD to the punch" instead of "release it when it's ready."

From my experience with the PS3 version, there is connectivity issues with servers. Not too terribly bad, but it takes a few tries. It's when you actually try to play with friends (and in a game that's centered around playing as a team, why wouldn't you?) that the issues become very obvious.

You squad up in the menu, but that does next to nothing. You will more than likely be put in a different squad, if you're lucky enough to end up on the same team. There are options to fix this in game, but it's a pain in the ass. Gamers shouldn't have to rebuild their squad and wait for teams to balance so they can team switch to their buddy's side. A process that should be painless and quick is now clogged down.

Now let's say you actually do get on same teams, and everyone in the same squad. Now what? Idk about the 360 version, but the mic chatter on PS3 is horrible. It's broken up so badly you can never understand each other. Again, shouldn't have to disclose the value of communication in a team based game.

These are features that worked perfectly in Bad Company 2. The quality of team play has actually gone down, not up. They make these type of mistakes, then expect to knock off one of the best selling franchises of this generation? Yea, good luck with that.

I love the gameplay of BF3, but the problems it has is the primary reason I'm still interested in MW3. If they had done the job right the first time, I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at CoD.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
Warforger said:
Calico93 said:
This is obvious but, the more MW3 is likely to sell, doesnt mean its a better game.
Exactly, it shouldn't matter how much a game sells to determine if it's a good game. Which is why I'm baffled that people want Battlefield to replace CoD. Why? Is it really that big of a deal? They're two different games the main difference is that Battlefield is boring as shit...err I mean more realistic and alot of vehicles while CoD is all about being boring and as bland as shit....I mean close quarters combat.

I know there's the argument of "It's the same thing every year!"Well Battlefield 3 is even worse, there's nothing new in it it's just the same shit they released years ago with BF2 with a new engine, and the worst part is they're putting back in what they took out in the Bad Company series! That would be like CoD taking out Spec Ops, half the guns and air strikes then re-releasing it in a new game claiming it's new!

Personally I find war shooters the same as I find fantasy games, all bland uncreative and uninspired games meant to make fanboy's of those things cry out for more.
They're putting features back in people have been clamoring for, they have extended the weapon and class customization and added a lot to the vehicles as well..

How is putting things back in which have been missed in the last couple of entries, a bad thing?

And "nothing new since BF2"?.. What about the EOD bot, the Mortar, all the new weapons and abilities, new vehicles, Co-Op (was not there for BF2), a "proper" (albeit short) single player campaign, the movement system and new mechanics to melee, new ways to configure your weapons....

Also, complaining that BF3 is "BF2 with nicer graphics", is kind of pointless... It's what the people who played BF2 have been wishing for for the last 5 years, and DICE have delivered quite nicely on that front...

Also, I'm not quite sure why I bothered typing all this out... No offence, but you seem to be pretty set in your idea that Battlefield and COD are both crap... Saying BF3 is boring, I can't help but wonder if you've even played it for any length of time, and tried using the vehicles, or playing some of the maps which AREN'T Caspian border (the map released in the beta), which is admittedly very open, but there are plenty of maps in BF3 which offer great opportunities for urban combat...

No offence intended if you don't enjoy the current staple of shooters (or shooters in general), but BF3 is by no means a bad game, just because you don't like it...
Best Regards

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I think COD will sell more though especially due to the mixed reviews BF3 has received and the fact the console versions are seriously lacking graphically and in polish to the PC.

With COD people will get what they expect. BF3 promised alot and failed to deliver in numerous areas.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
I think COD will sell more though especially due to the mixed reviews BF3 has received and the fact the console versions are seriously lacking graphically and in polish to the PC.

With COD people will get what they expect. BF3 promised alot and failed to deliver in numerous areas.
Uhm.... mixed reviews?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-3

Yeah... Sure...
And don't tell me user scores are more important, people go to extremes when behind the curtain of anonymity...

Also, in which areas has BF3 not delivered? True, it has had a bumpy start, but so has every single large-scale multiplayer game the last couple years... Give it a few weeks and some constructive user input, and the faults will be ironed out...

I'm just not sure which areas of the game you feel haven't delivered?
The gunplay is excellent and responsive, the vehicles are useful without being overpowered if you know what to do to counter them, and I haven't tired of snipers yet even...
Maps are huge and varied, it's fun even without 64 players, and you can even get your "COD" expirience by going infantry only on a small urban map...

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
XaVierDK said:
Ubermetalhed said:

Uhm.... mixed reviews?

Yeah... Sure...
And don't tell me user scores are more important, people go to extremes when behind the curtain of anonymity...

Also, in which areas has BF3 not delivered? True, it has had a bumpy start, but so has every single large-scale multiplayer game the last couple years... Give it a few weeks and some constructive user input, and the faults will be ironed out...

The gunplay is excellent and responsive, the vehicles are useful without being overpowered if you know what to do to counter them, and I haven't tired of snipers yet even...
Maps are huge and varied, it's fun even without 64 players, and you can even get your "COD" expirience by going infantry only on a small urban map...
Even if not for those reasons, cod will sell more because it's cod. MW3 could be a rickrolled video and it would still sell like hotcakes and get perfect scores everywhere.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
XaVierDK said:
Ubermetalhed said:

Uhm.... mixed reviews?

Yeah... Sure...

Primarily graphically. The footage they advertised and promoted is nothing like what you get on consoles, it's probably on par with/if not worse than the recent Crysis 1 port. The graphics were the thing that got people going wow in the previews to see that that was a clever trick is disappointing.

There are also alot of glitches and just weird occurances in the game. Especially in single player.Frankly the game needs more polish.

Also you seem to think I'm a COD fan, I'm not, I'm not even a BF fan. I'm just objectively commenting on what I have seen and played.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
XaVierDK said:
They're putting features back in people have been clamoring for, they have extended the weapon and class customization and added a lot to the vehicles as well..
YES Features that they took out in the Bad Company series.....

XaVierDK said:
How is putting things back in which have been missed in the last couple of entries, a bad thing?
Because they're putting them in with the guise of newness but in fact they're just putting in things they took out previously. Of all the cheap tactics possible that's probably the worst one I've seen.

XaVierDK said:
And "nothing new since BF2"?.. What about the EOD bot, the Mortar, all the new weapons and abilities, new vehicles, Co-Op (was not there for BF2), a "proper" (albeit short) single player campaign, the movement system and new mechanics to melee, new ways to configure your weapons....
That's called modernizing and getting a bigger budget, that would be like if say Doom 1 was updated with the ability to aim up and down and id was showing off how much they "innovated" and added in "new" features.

XaVierDK said:
Also, complaining that BF3 is "BF2 with nicer graphics", is kind of pointless... It's what the people who played BF2 have been wishing for for the last 5 years, and DICE have delivered quite nicely on that front...
Yah of course, they're fanboy's, they'd be glad to have the same game modernized. That's exactly what CoD has been doing for the last couple of years.

XaVierDK said:
Also, I'm not quite sure why I bothered typing all this out... No offence, but you seem to be pretty set in your idea that Battlefield and COD are both crap... Saying BF3 is boring, I can't help but wonder if you've even played it for any length of time, and tried using the vehicles, or playing some of the maps which AREN'T Caspian border (the map released in the beta), which is admittedly very open, but there are plenty of maps in BF3 which offer great opportunities for urban combat...
No I liked the vehicles a little, but it doesn't make me want to buy it. In fact I would've loved to play Caspian border but all that I had since I played on console was the shitty operation metro, which was all CoD type gameplay with none of the things that Battlefield is famous for. While I do hate the open space in the park since I have no idea how to find an enemy so I keep advancing and when I do they kill me, either that or they're doing CoD style of running around the map with their 100+ gametime hours knowing where to go and how to use the weapons while most people who are trying it out get mowed down. The metro was maybe a little better but again the problem of not being able to find anyone frustrated me.

XaVierDK said:
No offence intended if you don't enjoy the current staple of shooters (or shooters in general), but BF3 is by no means a bad game, just because you don't like it...
Best Regards
There is no objective bad or good, it's all opinion. I just found BF3 boring and I don't intend to waste my money on such a boring not innovative game.However I do berate on it unfairly I admit since there are so many fanboy's who preach such retarded babble it makes me want to puke.

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
Primarily graphically. The footage they advertised and promoted is nothing like what you get on consoles, it's probably on par with/if not worse than the recent Crysis 1 port. The graphics were the thing that got people going wow in the previews to see that that was a clever trick is disappointing.

There are also alot of glitches and just weird occurances in the game. Especially in single player.Frankly the game needs more polish.

Also you seem to think I'm a COD fan, I'm not, I'm not even a BF fan. I'm just objectively commenting on what I have seen and played.
I might have been too quick out of the gate on that last paragraph, I did not intend to imply that you were one or the other... My point was simply that BF3 is a lot more versatile as an FPS game than some people think... :)

Regarding the graphics, they have from the start stated that PC would be their primary focus, and as such, showing footage from this version (obviously also better looking) made sense, if for no other reason than to incite controversy...

I might be a bit biased when it comes to shooters and which platform to play them on (Hint: it's not something with a gamepad), but at this point, this game is more a testament to what you can do with today's graphical technology on an up-to-date platform, than a failure graphically on almost ancient hardware... The fact that it took another 4 years for cross-platform games to look as good as Crysis 1 on PC, is the really sad part...

Best Regards :)

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
98.9% connection rate my ass...I'm constantly being disconnected when I try to join a random server.